Daily grinder recommendations!

edgy

Recently my daily grind W124 Estate started getting ill (read, misfire) I didn't feel like spending any money or time on it, bought it cheap now it looks like I've sold it cheap.

However, now I am looking at what else is on the market and I am fast coming to the realisation that its almost impossible to replace that car for that kind of money (read a few grand) 

I thought I would throw this to the good people of PFA for some recommendations, as I'm sure we'd be unanimous in thinking we have the most discerning automotive tastes (I could be wrong)  :ph34r:

There is two scenarios I was looking at:

a) keep it cheap n cheerful (read few grand) or B) up the budget and buy something nice. 

Now, I must point out that I am that idiot who you see leaving his car wide open, windows down at the shops and bunnings etc, hell I even leave the keys in it at work.  :lol:

On the lower end I am struggling to see anything as good as another W124!

On the higher end (lets say up to 20-30k) well I am confused   :blink:

I'm fond of Cayennes (must be the capitalist pig in me?) and you can get nice 9PA S for reasonable money, but I am kind of against driving anything too flashy or expensive every day, I don't really like the message it sends to customers and employees, but I hate boring cars too!

I'd really like a wagon again, so what is not boring but fun, well built and modest at the same time? Preferably German built....  :unsure:

Cheers! 

You'd be surprised on the Cayenne pricing, I've got a Black/Black 04 turbo with carbon interior, tow pack and roof racks with 114k on the clock, Porsche FSH and the local dealer would only give me $32k for it on a trade for a new Porka.  You'd should be able to grab a pretty good turbo for mid-late 30s which would have everything on it but appreciate you mightn't want to spend that much and note your concerns around employees etc.

Maybe a silly question, but what about another W124 estate?

Not silly at all... Im struggling to think of a better low cost option!

W204, not as much money as you might think.

Didn't think of it...just looked, some can be had very reasonably! Thanks for the tip Greg! :)

And they make a C63 estate.... :lol:

/can of worms

My grind is a 07 Mercedes B200, never missed a beat all the safety features plus nice to haves like Bluetooth phone compability and awesome fuel economy. Low teens will get you a good one.. Surprisingly spacious inside and big boot capacity especially when you fold the rear seats down....

Thanks guys ^^ I'm a while away from EV, mum has a B200 it's quite good in terms of practicality.. But I'd feel weird having the same car as her :lol:

My mech works on German cars. I asked him once what he thought were the least hassle, most reliable german cars. Merc all the way he said...

Hard to argue with that.

You are right.... I keep doing this too

grandpa-simpson-gif.gif

Was speaking with the mrs last night, she said just find a nice w124 estate, I tend to Agree

I've got that one bookmarked in my carpoint acc, he had it listed at $5000~ and now put the price up.. Not sure what gives there? But I'm rather keen on that, it's a face lift model with all the bells and whistles and being a 320TE I think it's an import?.. We only got 230 & 300TE as Aussie delivery I think. Not really a problem for me, it gets a better high output motor and 5 speed auto.

I think the other similar priced ones are a bit optimistic on their prices.

I tell you, once you've had one of these w124s it's hard to keep away from them! :)

I have had 3 MB cars and I have never had a problem of any kind (unless you count the C63 tyre usage as a problem). Great cars. My DD is a CRV. I am also conscious of what employees and customers think and have experienced an issue first hand with a client.

I have had 3 MB cars and I have never had a problem of any kind (unless you count the C63 tyre usage as a problem). Great cars. My DD is a CRV. I am also conscious of what employees and customers think and have experienced an issue first hand with a client.

A CRV, that is super modest Harold! I like it  B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One month has gone and I am still without a daily grinder!  I'm becoming a nuisance to my mates who have to come pick my ass up and drop me home, it also means I can drink more when we go out...  :lol:

I'm faced with the fact I refuse to buy boring cars so its gonna take me some time, I'm currently onto a lead for W460 G Wagen.... :ph34r: so if you know of a W460 LWB, please do tell 

I want to get back to doing more of this! 

auto_4x4_01727_008.jpg

Archived