My 3.2

So I finally took the plunge into Porsche ownership!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get exactly what I wanted but considering where the market is headed I'm glad I bought this one and am out of the market.

It was a really tough decision as I needed to weigh up what I wanted; my budget; what was available and what this car offered.

What I wanted :

Standard complete 3.2 Carrera,( 3.2 as it offers the opportunity to tinker with performance chips), original RHD, EUROSPEC, good rust free body, good standard engine and I wasn't too fussed about any of the cosmetic stuff

My budget:

Under 35k. Yes this was a big ask!

What was available:

I've been in the market for about 12 months and watched the rapid rise of values with every car sold. I inspected both good and bad examples( including the flood damaged 3.2 in Brisbane..... not sure who got that one) The good examples had already responded to the high market demand with higher sale prices which meant they became unaffordable to me.

Then this car came along and it ticked a few boxes:

86, 3.2 Carrera,169K km, RHD, EUROSPEC, FSH, receipts for all historical repairs, professionally stored for a few years, straight body, good tyres and suspension. Attractive colour, and paintwork around a 5 out of 10. Undamaged leather interior, good body seals, good electrical and a strong untouched engine. The undercarriage was rust proofed from new and there is surface rust only where rust proofing was damaged. As a package it looked good. It was also priced under my budget.

Dislikes:

UK delivered ( future value in Oz), 964 kit, rear deck lid, wheels ( although growing on me now), partly customised leather interior, Vanilla coloured seat inserts, door cards and gauges!, rear main seal oil leak, misaligned bonnet and front left fender, minor rust below drivers side windscreen, rusted heater boxes and heat exchanges.

Figured that the good outweighed the dislikes and over time I could change/ repair everything except the value. As I want to keep this car that would not be an issue. Alternatively if I can get it to the condition I took my Alfa to then I'm sure I wouldn't be too disappointed if I sold it then see :

http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/sasnai/library/My%20GTV%20105

( Password: gtv105 )

Anyway I jumped in and bought the car. Now with new heat exchangers and a replaced windscreen washer hose ( only 2 RWC faults) it is registered and giving me some spirited drives around Brisbane. It's fast, loud and unbelievable fun. The 915 gearbox takes a little getting used to! Quick downshifts can be a bit scary!

Although it's no where near the condition I'd like it to be I am enjoying planning its restoration, driving around and just looking at it in the garage! Not a big fan of the 964 kit on this car but perhaps too expensive to return to original. If you know of anyone who has original impact bumpers and rear tail light clusters lying around then please let me know.

For now its good enough to enjoy as it is.

post-1833-0-72915500-1421715517_thumb.jp

post-1833-0-31384700-1421715536_thumb.jp

I would just drive it and enjoy it, and get all those niggling things fixed up over time.

If you still love it in 5 years and must have it back in original spec, take the plunge then.  I don't think it will be expensive to find impact bumper parts - there must be great piles of them lying around from all the backdating.

Although it's no where near the condition I'd like it to be I am enjoying planning its restoration, driving around and just looking at it in the garage! Not a big fan of the 964 kit on this car but perhaps too expensive to return to original. If you know of anyone who has original impact bumpers and rear tail light clusters lying around then please let me know.

For now its good enough to enjoy as it is.

Congratulations Porshie, I felt … in fact still feel ... exactly the same way. I'm so glad to not be looking anymore, and being able to deal with actual issues as time and budget allows, rather than potential issues. All the little niggles will get worked out over time. Even in this stinking Brisbane heat, the 911 still puts a smile on my face every time I get into it. 

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

Will certainly try to make it to the Brisbane Cars and Coffee in Feb.

Right now trying to figure out how I can get my golf clubs into the car ............much to wife's amusement!

Archived