Looking to get into a 911

rminc

that's awesome - i reckon you've done well as prices are coming off a lot since you first posted in 2015 and 3.2 and 3.0 SC are both incredible cars, but not rare so should be returning to sensible prices soon ... I'd be hanging out a little while longer if you can - wait for the effects of a first season of soft housing market to sink in early next year, prices drop and continued zero wage growth and people will be rethinking equity draws very soon - first thing to go will be the old Porsche ... you'll be laughing!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ELSPORTO said:

wait for the effects of a first season of soft housing market to sink in early next year, prices drop and continued zero wage growth and people will be rethinking equity draws very soon - first thing to go will be the old Porsche ... you'll be laughing!

I thought that was supposed to be this year? 

1 hour ago, ELSPORTO said:

I'd be hanging out a little while longer if you can - wait for the effects of a first season of soft housing market to sink in early next year, prices drop and continued zero wage growth and people will be rethinking equity draws very soon - first thing to go will be the old Porsche ... you'll be laughing!

Good news if correct. Saving up to add another in the garage in the next year or two.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking to spend around $80-$90k tops. I think the 3.2 is a bit put of reach given what I've seen on carsales. I would ideally want an SC that's Aus delivered with matching numbers. Is that a realistic ask? 

11 hours ago, hugh said:

I thought that was supposed to be this year? 

Well it's happening where I live Hugh.

10 hours ago, rminc said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking to spend around $80-$90k tops. I think the 3.2 is a bit put of reach given what I've seen on carsales. I would ideally want an SC that's Aus delivered with matching numbers. Is that a realistic ask? 

I reckon you'll find one.

8 hours ago, hugh said:

I don't doubt that it is. If it results in the market being flooded with cheap 911's is more the question. 

Maybe not flooded, but it's undeniable there are a lot more cars on the market now, than this time last year. I'm sure you know that's how it starts.

I guess we just wait and see right?

1 hour ago, ELSPORTO said:

Maybe not flooded, but it's undeniable there are a lot more cars on the market now, than this time last year. I'm sure you know that's how it starts.

I guess we just wait and see right?

I think you should move to Melbourne and buy some more Porsches! :D;)

It's a bit over what I would like to spend, but it does look good. Not much in for in the description. I might just ride it out for now. Would really like to stay around the 80k mark. Even 90k would be good, but there isn't much that suits. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just an update.

I went and had a look at a high km example 911 3.2 (in excess of 300,000kms). I've decided to target something around the 200,000km mark at a maximum. I do understand that kms aren't everything, which is why I went to see the car in the first place. Even though this particular car was very well looked, it was just tired overall and I think the pricing gap between 200,000kms isn't large enough to compromise for a higher km car.

I've been keeping an eye out on the market and the problem for me is there are some really large price gaps between cars. Especially with the SC model.

Take this one for example which has been 'restored'. It looks relatively clean in the photos, but from looking at the market it appears to be around $35,000 over priced:https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1984/SSE-AD-4242397/?Cr=0

Is there something i seam to be missing as to why it's priced that high?

I really would like a clean Aus delivered 3.2 (matching numbers) with approx 200,000kms and have around $80-90,000 to spend. Is this realistic? 

Thanks.

Edit: I've also seen this car which is at a large premium to other similar cars. Is there something I'm missing?

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-1982/OAG-AD-15265122/?Cr=4

54 minutes ago, rminc said:

Take this one for example which has been 'restored'. It looks relatively clean in the photos, but from looking at the market it appears to be around $35,000 over priced:https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1984/SSE-AD-4242397/?Cr=0

Is there something i seam to be missing as to why it's priced that high?

I really would like a clean Aus delivered 3.2 (matching numbers) with approx 200,000kms and have around $80-90,000 to spend. Is this realistic?

Pretty sure this car has been listed at that price from before when I bought my 84 Aus delivered 3.2 with 177K km in February. Nice car but a lot more than I was willing to pay...

I know the market has cooled a little, but I would be highly skeptical you will find a 3.2 Coupe with your requirements for that price. I paid 10K more than your upper limit and that also meant traveling to WA to source!

2 hours ago, rminc said:

Possible but it will need some sort of work, most likely the heads needing to reconditioned to rectify high leak down numbers and worn valve guides.  Sorting out the ac and a myriad of minor things like new tyres, shocks, tidying up wiring from decades of half baked stereo and immobiliser upgrades, cv joints, etc etc etc will also be likely.  If you can do this minor work yourself, its more time consuming rather than expensive

But considering you'll only likely drive it a few thousand kilometres a year, everything can wait as you get around to them and will only improve drivability (and the car's resale value) as they are done.

The problem will be is that your choice of 3.2's is pretty limited in this price range and EVERYTHING you look at will have some defects that require money being spent.  Once you are comfortable with that reality just go a buy one that appeals to you and has the right things wrong with it and just take your time restoring it as time and money permit.

No I didn't go and see that car.

I thankfully had a relatively painless experience and after looking a while only picked up the phone for 2 cars. The first was up in Sydney and was a car that fitted Peter M's description. Aus delivered with ~245K for $90K that would need a top end rebuild shortly which was listed at just under $90K which was the top of my original budget. The idea was to still be able enjoy it for a few years before paying the suggested $15K for a top end rebuild...

But was also keen on the WA car with less km that was initially listed for $110K but dropped $5K whilst looking so I called them. It had a PPI done the year prior when it was purchased in SA and it was an extremely healthy engine with receipts including a gear box rebuild. So I was seriously considering anyway when they called me back and reduced it by another $5K. So paid a deposit over the phone and flew over to Perth for the day that weekend and bought it! Didn't haggle further as I thought it was a fair price for this car. 

The car only needed to be raised to legal height and two new rear tyres for the roadworthy when it finally arrived by train a month later!

Good to hear @Dalai

I'm happy to go upto 100k on a decent 3.2. Will also consider an SC too, but would need to be priced really well for me to go for it. There really isn't too much at the moment, so I guess I'll have to sit tight for now until something decent comes up. 

SC prices have risen quite a lot since I started looking a few years ago. There was a big gap between the SC and the 3.2. I was looking at buying a 83' with 190kms for 60k. It seams now that the SC are in some cases priced above the 3.2.

Just to help me get a good idea. If a decent 3.2 is worth around 100k what would an identical condition SC be fetching? Sorry about all the questions guys, just seems like alot has changed since I was looking last and need to adapt a bit. 

Ross

@Greg 2 I'd suggest you become a financial member before you start promoting your car on here................Thank you! 

On 20/12/2017 at 11:20 AM, rminc said:

Good to hear @Dalai

I'm happy to go upto 100k on a decent 3.2. Will also consider an SC too, but would need to be priced really well for me to go for it. There really isn't too much at the moment, so I guess I'll have to sit tight for now until something decent comes up. 

SC prices have risen quite a lot since I started looking a few years ago. There was a big gap between the SC and the 3.2. I was looking at buying a 83' with 190kms for 60k. It seams now that the SC are in some cases priced above the 3.2.

Just to help me get a good idea. If a decent 3.2 is worth around 100k what would an identical condition SC be fetching? Sorry about all the questions guys, just seems like alot has changed since I was looking last and need to adapt a bit. 

Ross

Drive both. Only you can decide. 

If you're tossing up between an SC & a 3.2 I'd add that they're very different cars (imo) to drive....if this has been covered in the past 6 pages my apologies - just started on this one.  In my book an SC is more 'zingy' than a 3.2 with the 3.2 having longer legs.  I, personally, wouldn't get a 3.2 over an SC, even if they were priced the same.  There are, of course, many people with exactly the opposite opinion (and the market says the 3.2 is the more desirable car).  I feel you're better off driving a premium example of both, regardless of budget, and then deciding which fits your passion best.

Thanks for the reply. I've driven both cars, although the 3.2 was more tired than the SC I had test driven. I'm happy with either car to be honest. As stated above, both have their pros and cons. If I had to choose I would prefer the 3.2 though. 

I've looked at a few cars over the years, quite a few of which have had rear quarter panels replaced which instantly put me off, but it seams that finding a car with minimal accident history is another challenge on its own. 

I'll give it another few months for something to come up, if I cannot find anything I might need to re-evaluate. 

Thank you to all who have sent me PM's wanting to sell their car, but to save yourselves the time, I'm only interested in Australian delivered cars. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/02/2015 at 6:48 PM, rminc said:

Hey guys, as the topic states I am looking at purchasing an 80' s model 3.2L 911. I have a budget $35k.

I'm just looking for some advice, in terms of my budget and what to look for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sweet baby Jesus man, you're still looking? They have doubled in price since the first post - well 50% increase anyways, I'm hoping you have increased your budget threefold now:cool07:

5 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

They have doubled in price since the first post - well 50% increase anyways, I'm hoping you have increased your budget threefold now:cool07:

The insurance is due next month on my Aus delivered 3.2 Coupe and the agreed value has been put up $20K from what I paid when I bought it last year...

Archived