Looking to get into a 911

rminc

another confirmation of market value for these cars - sold for $69K

http://www.healeyfactory.com.au/listing/1988-porsche-911-3-2-carrera/

Do we know it sold for the asking price though?

Looking good if so.....Must admit the more they appreciate, I become a little tempted to let mine go.  (and ones with all history and as low kms as mine are getting very rare indeed)  However I drove it yesterday over Mt Mee and it really is a drive like no other.... not much feels as alive as that which you get from an early aircooled 911

For me the big attraction with the 3.2 over the SC was the modernised EFI Motronic over the mechanical injection.  The SC's I drove though, went quite well and I thought the gear ratios were probably slightly better than in the 3.2, but for me the 3.2 EFI was a clincher

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have driven the SC model and I really do prefer the 3.2 over them.

What do you guys think this one is worth?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1983/SSE-AD-2829005/?Cr=14

I noticed when looking at the shot of the rear, the RHS rear quarter panel looks a bit shonky which is a bit off putting as to the overall condition.

Do we know it sold for the asking price though?

Looking good if so.....Must admit the more they appreciate, I become a little tempted to let mine go. (and ones with all history and as low kms as mine are getting very rare indeed) However I drove it yesterday over Mt Mee and it really is a drive like no other.... not much feels as alive as that which you get from an early aircooled 911

I agree, but say I sell it, if I regret the decision I would be unable to afford to get back into one haha

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1983/SSE-AD-2829005/?Cr=14

I noticed when looking at the shot of the rear, the RHS rear quarter panel looks a bit shonky which is a bit off putting as to the overall condition.

Probably worth close to what he's asking noting fresh motor rebuild. Just check rest of the car is well maintained noting higher kms - bushings, brakes, suspension etc. Rear end looks fine to me but needs new bellows (cheap) and seal on whale tail. Don't think you will find anybody heard who "regrets" buying SC over Carrera. Pete Zimmerman called the SC not only best Porsche ever, but best car ever!

That car has been for sale since I bought mine in July last year, with the same price that whole time. Whatever the reason, the market isn't interested. I thought it had something like 300k on it, with a relatively recent rebuild.

Price is pretty up there for an SC with those kms I think to be honest. From the photos there are a few things that are not right like the rear RHS 1/4 panel, it looks like a really shonky repair. For that price you would want something alot a cleaner I would say,

Also at 50k you could spend a little more (not that I can) and get something like this

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1986/SSE-AD-3183620/?Cr=3

Price is pretty up there for an SC with those kms I think to be honest. From the photos there are a few things that are not right like the rear RHS 1/4 panel, it looks like a really shonky repair. For that price you would want something alot a cleaner I would say,

I see what you mean about the repair to the 1/4 panel ..... but ....

I think it might have something to do with the engine lid .... that rear spoiler is from a turbo 930, not an SC .... therefore I think the engine lid has been replaced with that tail attached and that is what isn't fitting right ....

As suggested above, would be worth ringing about and having a chat ... after such a long while it might just be time to move it on ....

Give the guy a call. Could be a perfectly good car overlooked by the crowd. I didn't ever call so I know nothing about it. Maybe he's ready to move on.

If you do call the owner don't forget to ask how many problems they've had with the K-Jetronic over that 15 years.  My bet is precious few, if any.  I think a lot of the problems people task about with CIS are urban myths and/or a few bad luck stories that keep perpetuating themselves...

But I reckon it's a bit exxy for an SC with 320K on the dial.  Still, I love my SC.  I've not driven a 3.2, so I can't comment on any differences, but I've been in a few over the years. 

I see what you mean about the repair to the 1/4 panel ..... but ....

I think it might have something to do with the engine lid .... that rear spoiler is from a turbo 930, not an SC .... therefore I think the engine lid has been replaced with that tail attached and that is what isn't fitting right ....

As suggested above, would be worth ringing about and having a chat ... after such a long while it might just be time to move it on ....

I can't see what you guys are talking about with the 1/4 panel. Which side?

Factory fit tails for SC are the tea tray whale tail.  The 'carrera' tail wasn't available from 78-83 AFAIK.  But there are always exceptions to this as Porsche seemed to have no rule book.  But you shouldn't automatically disqualify a tea tray tail as unoriginal.

There is no doubt that motronic is superior to k-jet, but that doesn't mean k-jet is a dog - lots of cars made with the system.  But that's why you pay an extra $10k - it's not just the extra 200cc.  Everything is is mostly the same except for the later cars with G50 boxes, which are another step up in price again.

If you're on a limited budget and a decent 3.2 is out of reach, then it's a choice of SC or something else.  I struggle to come up with a 'something else' that is a good substitute for a SC in terms of looks, performance, desirability, reliability and long term resale.  There's a reason there are so many SCs around with telephone-number mileage.

I had this same dilemma and made my choice.  There is a lot more angst in the deciding than there is in the driving.

Thanks guys, going to try track down an SC. I was considering an Aussie Delivered R32 GTR as I have always loved them but after some careful thought. I would prefer to have an SC instead. If anyone is considering selling send me a PM :)

I have tried calling the guy with the SC in VIC although got no answer nor a reply to an SMS that was sent. Plus I think the price is way too high for what it is and I'm sure others would definitely feel the same considering it's been for sale for almost a year. 

Edit: Thanks again for all the info guys, very insightful and ultimately assisted me in deciding to keep pursuing porsche ownership.

I can't see what you guys are talking about with the 1/4 panel. Which side?

Factory fit tails for SC are the tea tray whale tail.  The 'carrera' tail wasn't available from 78-83 AFAIK.  But there are always exceptions to this as Porsche seemed to have no rule book.  But you shouldn't automatically disqualify a tea tray tail as unoriginal.

Coastr,

While I realise that Porsche didn't have a "rule book" per se, I was always under the impression that the SC came with the "whale tail" and the later Carreras and the 930 came with the "tea tray" .....

As usual, I'm always willing to listen and learn if what I "know" happens to be wrong .....

The engine lid may be just missing or has a maladjusted rubber stop that adjusts the sit of the lid at the bottom corners.

rmic,

Since you are now ruined, suggest you invest twenty bucks in the Peter Zimmermann book that has been quoted earlier: http://www.amazon.com/Used-911-Story-8th/dp/0963172662/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424076698&sr=8-1&keywords=peter+zimmerman+Porsche

SC Owners,

You know you are all starting to sound like 928 owners! :ph34r:

If you look at the shot of the rear, follow the line of the RHS rear rear guard against the engine lid line. You will see that its the actual 1/4 panel that's not right. It is not even straight. Probably why it's been there for a year  :rolleyes:

The engine lid may be just missing or has a maladjusted rubber stop that adjusts the sit of the lid at the bottom corners.

Seeing as you are not totally hung up on a 911 , ff all else fails you could do worse than find the best 944 turbo around ; performance wise as good as the 3.2 and considerably cheaper. 

Heart is set on a 911, if it's a porsche it will be a 911 haha

If you look at the shot of the rear, follow the line of the RHS rear rear guard against the engine lid line. You will see that its the actual 1/4 panel that's not right. It is not even straight. Probably why it's been there for a year  :rolleyes:

I just suspect that because the right side appears about 1/4 inch low and because the lid isn't a constant radius curve it mucks up the shadow line. I wouldn't dismiss it just yet particularly if you can get it for the right price. But you're the guy with the cash in the end!

Heart is set on a 911, if it's a porsche it will be a 911 haha

As I said, you're "ruined"!

Tried contacting him with no luck and I'm not sure on the market value of it aswell. It's  been up for almost a year as mentioned so it's obviously not where it should be price wise

It's funny as 12 months ago, it was priced on the high side ..... 12 months on, it's not toooo far off the mark. Assuming it's a decent example, $45k - $50k is about the money .....

Again, assuming that the car is right, I think that it has built up a stigma about being for sale for so long and now that the prices have risen, no one wants to touch it as "that's the car that has been for sale for 12 months" .....

Archived