Looking to get into a 911

rminc

For a lot of country folk a PPI is several hours away and  a P I T A to all concerned, For your own protection as said before Read all you can Know every nook and crany of the car model you are after talk to others about potental problems,decide which car you want (ie) model prepare an infomation sheet with all the stuff you need to know ,there are dozens of web sites to resourse from , on finding a car check out the area (Town) and take good mechanic with you as you will know the problem areas to direct the mechanic to and you should have 70% chance of getting a good 1 B) Good luck

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think a 'factory optioned wide body SC' exists - though I think there was some dealer fit models sold.  AFAIK the M491 didn't exist until the 3.2 came out.

That Shannons car will sell over the guide price, no problem.  In fact it will be a good insight into how the 3.2 market sits.

It's a nice car but not the best colour combo and has 285,000 ks on it, which will deter some.

And you'd have to budget in some money to get those Fuchs looking correct again!

Porsche actually did do a factory widebody .... it was option m491

It is an extremely rare and desired option on these cars but I don't think it came on the SC's .... I think it was only availiable from about 1984 on the 3.2 Carreras .....

Maybe someone else can confirm these dates?

EDIT ...... beat me to it coastr .....

One day...I'm going to turf the factory original car and get me a wide body hotrod SC and stuff in a 3.6 and put in a custom interior and a...

oh, sorry, was day dreaming again.  As you were.

Hey .... no need to dream .... the "Uncle Mobile" is still for sale ..... :)

Porsche actually did do a factory widebody .... it was option m491

It is an extremely rare and desired option on these cars

Nah, not for me Ronny.

Maybe on a Turbo but for me, slim hips all the way for NA cars where there is no performance gain. 

What would you rather Oprah or Kylie? :P

Guy is insistent that it's a factory optioned wide body. It's an 83 model, pretty sure there is no such thing.

Maybe they used factory steel guards after delivery and he's thinking it's been factory optioned ..

As thought above.., I think the wide body option from the factory was available from 1984 3.2.

Interesting analogy Peter ... but I think I'm going to let that one be as I'm sure there are lovers of both camps and I certainly don't want to stir the nest.....

As for the cars...... M491 all the way! Who cares if it doesn't go any faster .... at least you look good going slow (and more people will get to see you looking good) ....

Nah, not for me Ronny.

Maybe on a Turbo but for me, slim hips all the way for NA cars where there is no performance gain. 

I like to think of a wide body as Miranda Kerr - perfectly proportioned. Your standard slim hip NA, well....just needs some cake

Another one came up

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1981/SSE-AD-2870729/?Cr=0

After seeing the last one that sold this one is less appealing, 81 model, no sunroof, no leather, higher kms and owner doesn't want PPI. 

Not too worried about giving this one a miss

....and gone!

I dont want to be a party pooper, but picking up an original and Aussie 911 with 150-175k for under $50k would indeed be a bargain in this market

Goodluck.

FWIW, if I were to list mine now I'd be asking close to $70k, may not get it, but then I dont need to sell it either

BTW .....

There were 52 coupes Aussie delivered in 1981, and 56 coupes delivered here in 1982 ....

Not a lot to go around .....

less anything that hasn't been bastardised (remember the forward-dating craze?), crashed or neglected 

Guy is insistent that it's a factory optioned wide body. It's an 83 model, pretty sure there is no such thing.

Either he has delivery documents or POA from Porsche, or his opinion is to be rejected as well meaning but false.

It's possible but highly unlikely unless he can provide documentary evidence. The simple fact is that lots of wide body conversion were done, but existence of special wishes program cars is few and far between. So the probability it isn't a factory wide body is very high.

Wide body conversions were apparently the must-have customisation from the moment the turbo rolled of the production line. In those days I remember everyone saying 'turbo body' or 'turbo look'.

It was so popular Porsche cashed in on the market themselves.

As such, the value of the car is the same as one who confesses to a 'wide body conversion'. I'd pay some more for a good wide body conversion compared to an otherwise equivalent car, but I wouldn't pay big money.

Wide body conversions were apparently the must-have customisation from the moment the turbo rolled of the production line. In those days I remember everyone saying 'turbo body' or 'turbo look'.

In fact, Porsche called option M491 "Turbo Look".  Not sure what year it became available.

Everything I have read says 1984 was the first builds and are the rarest. I think production peaked in 1986.

I did some more research before, and while there are a ton of people who say they have a factory SC, it doesn't appear that the internet has a single example of one with actual factory documents.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, reviving an old thread. Ended purchasing an R34 GTR instead of a 911 which is got at a really good price. Turned it over about 3 months ago for a handsome profit and am looking to finally get into a 911.

I'm still after a 911 3.0 or 3.2. Prices have also risen. Whats the going rate at present for something with around 200,00kms? A quick look on carsales shows some very big gaps in pricing. 

Archived