Looking to get into a 911

rminc

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also give Autocoupe in Eltham a shout.

I take my 964 there and always plenty of nice 911's in and out.

Good luck with the hunt.

I must admit, I feel sorry for you and don't envy your position in the slightest.

The 18 month or so research and hunt was agonising for me.

I felt like my regular life was on pause while I was hunting, dreaming, salivating and further searching.

Anxiety from nothing decent being on the market.

The night the deposit was paid on my 911 was the best sleep I had had in ages, despite the excitement because i had finally snared MY 911.

My life is now divided by "pre 911" and "post 911".

Still dream of an SC to join the 964 one day but at least 'play' has been pressed on my life again.

Good luck with patience, I hope it is stronger than mine!

Thanks, will make sure I contact them.

I have given myself a time limit to find one. If i don't find one within that time I will simply stop looking. I know first hand from previous searches that it can become quite stressful and obsessive after a while of looking with no results and the anxiety associated with the search is also quite annoying. Hence why I have given myself a time constraint. 

I hope that something will come up soon  :ph34r:

Done, think I will just relax now, wait for an email and keep checking carsales. 

Not going to hold my breath though.

Does anyone have the exact numbers of Aussie delivered SCs and 3.2s sold between 78-89?

Would be interested in seeing exactly how slim my chances are.

recommend you buy a book - 'original porsche 911' by peter morgan. Lots of info inside

SC's and 3.2's arn't exactly rare cars but I have copied the data for you that is essentially the total numbers produced for all countries with exception of usa, japan and canada. The total coupes is about 40,000. To work aussi figures from this is basically a guessing game unless someone knows the real answer, but when I was researching 930's close to 10% of the total production were original RHD, and then less than 10% of this made it to OZ. Use the same principle and there will be roughly 200 of each in OZ that are original imports. Would love to know if I am in anyway close to the answer. Good luck in the search

sc 3.2                   1978 2438   1979 3319   1980 3181   1981 3181   1982 3307   1983 2995   1984   4033 1985   3529 1986   4031 1987   3381 1988   3880 1989   3532         18421 22386

I would be giving this one some SERIOUS thought if it's Aussie delivered .....

Just for the record ..... non sunroof coupes are HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER ..... most have sunroofs and they break, leak and most importantly, the chassis is stiffer due to no hole in the roof ....

Think quick .....

Another one came up

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1981/SSE-AD-2870729/?Cr=0

After seeing the last one that sold this one is less appealing, 81 model, no sunroof, no leather, higher kms and owner doesn't want PPI. 

Not too worried about giving this one a miss

Oh ..... and another thought .....

182,000 k's is NOTHING for a 34 year old car ..... especially one that had engine and gearbox work onlt 30 k's ago ....

Most of them have between 220,000 and 300,000

As someone that has been searching, asking questions and missing out on one (or two), I think you should be a little worried about giving this one a miss .....

As we've all said ...... see one, JUMP ON IT .....

Would you mind sharing your thoughts as to its shortcomings for your ideal car ..... no judgements here just interest as to other people's expectations and wants ....

At least you know that they do and will come up from time to time ....

Another one came up

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1981/SSE-AD-2870729/?Cr=0

After seeing the last one that sold this one is less appealing, 81 model, no sunroof, no leather, higher kms and owner doesn't want PPI. 

Same car was for sale last July at same price. I enquired about it then. I passed after the owner gave me the story, as I recall then he had strong local interest.

Another one came up

That car will go fast, if not gone already. I can understand seller reluctance for a PPI - the guy will have to drop it off to a mechanic, assuming there is a decent one nearby, lose half a day at work organising drop off and pick up, organise inspection payment etc. Why would you bother in this market when people will pay cash sight unseen? You'd be better off learning how to do your own basic PPI and take a knowledgeable mate with you. Also find out who's been servicing it and get their opinion. I was very lucky to have a good seller who all but insisted on having one done.

My understanding is that white SC has some crash history, not a deal breaker if repaired correctly...I'm sorry but if your selling a 30 year old + Porsche, it's not unreasonable to have it go through a PPI...

But then again considering the market is hot there us a good chance that it will be sold sight unseen let alone pending a PPI ...

You'd be better off learning how to do your own basic PPI and take a knowledgeable mate with you. Also find out who's been servicing it and get their opinion. I was very lucky to have a good seller who all but insisted on having one done.

I agree with that, and it's what I did.  I knew I wanted an SC coupe and had been doing my research for some time - probably best part of 2 years.  I had a 25 page dossier on these cars by the time I seriously looked at one.  Learning what to look for in the way of problem areas, how to spot this, that & the other, year correct numbers, & so on really helped.  Plus I had a list that I just ticked the boxes.

I finally found a car I liked, went and looked, and we took it for a long drive.  Fortunately the PO was a really nice bloke and we were able to develop a rapport quite quickly.  Spose that means I'm a really nice bloke as well.  Then, after a few days more of ringing people, including the guy who serviced it, going through the service and repair sheets, and talking to a few other people with quite extensive Porsche knowledgeable, I rang the PO and said when can I pick it up.  Whole process was under a week.  I think I was lucky the car hung around that long.  Probably because it was so far from Adelaide and in an out of the way place.

He was have been more than happy for me to get a PPI, but what a hassle for both of us.  The car was 15km from my house, but we were both best part of an hour from the city.  I could have got a tilt tray, but by the time I got it there, PPI'd, and got it back to him that could have run into a grand. 

And in the wash-up I've got what I consider to be a really good car for what I paid.

Archived