THAT BLACK 914 ON CARSALES IS DROPPING....JUST SAYIN....

Niko

Well if you put me in touch with the other person we can cut out the middle man :P

So......your serious? That person will be reading this thread and I have no doubt will contact you if they are interested.

they're different for each state

AFAIK QLD still operates on the 'club run' or 'testing/maintenance/driving to the workshop' logbook system. Whereas a lot of other states are more free to do what they like for a limited amount of time

They have tidied/tightened the application for Club Permits up, here in Victoria, which is a good thing.    

A lot of cars were coming from O.S mainly from the states.

The situation was you could join a car club and a person nominated from that club to look after

Club Permit Plates would check the car over.  

Give it the ok for registration and then forward off the paperwork to the VICROADS PERMIT SCHEME dept.

No RWC Required.....

Unfortunately a lot of the checks on the cars have been very ordinary,

resulting in some unroadworthy cars getting on the road with the

cheaper Club Rego. (45 or 90 days on a log book) Car clubs benefitting from new membership payments.  

Also once the car was approved that would be the last time the club would see them for the year.

Cutting a long story short.....

Now every car has to have a proper R.W.C. done and presented to the club that is authorising the Club Permit Plates.

There are more rules and regulations but that was I believe the main problem.   Some utter crap cars getting onto the road.

It really is a great scheme and a big registration cost saver if you only drive your car occasionally.

It is mainly directed at people who just show their cars or do club type events, but you can also just drive it any other time within the nominated 45/90 days.   A generous scheme really.   As long as the log book is filled out before you drive out of your driveway.

(oh, and the car has to be at least 25 years old)  

Basically the scheme was being rorted.  

So good for them that they have changed a few things to make it harder for cars that really do need to be brought up to a Road worthy standard.

Thats sort of how I understand it anyway.

Yeah it was dodgy. I had a datsun 1600 with methanol injected turbo engine, low, stripped interior with 1 race seat, flares etc. Effectively a track car. I chose the club (which shall remain nameless) based on rumours of easy checks. Sure enough, he had a very cursory look over the car and signed it off. Didn't even pick up the methanol tank and pump in the boot or secondary line running to the manifold. Didn't even drive it to check brakes etc. For the next 2 years I simply mailed him the forms annually and he signed and sent back for renewal. In the meantime I'd fitted a full cage and Bridgeport rotary......

Good while it lasted but absolutely agree the system was far too loose. It was handy to get to workshops etc without a trailer but cars like that (and worse) shouldn't be on the street.

Archived