Motor - June 2015 Tyre Test

Motor Magazine have tested 8 brands at SMSP with one of the Luff's behind the wheel. Don't know which one as they all look and sound the same to me. (EDIT: Warren actually)

For our purposes Continental Contisportcontact 5P and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's were the standouts.

All 8 brands supplied by Jax Tyres.

All very timely as I'm keen for at least a new set for fronts for the 993 shortly.

Can anyone give some context , I havent seen the report/mag , is it a road test or track?

I have Conti on the rear of the 993TT and they where bought cheap and have been great , like wise I have been trying Khumo on the front and again on the Byron race track surface , Aka potholes and bad cambers and cow shit , they seem to be fine , even when I have pushed the car into double apex bends loaded up at 8-130kmh on a semi damp road.

Like wise the rears have held on on a semi damp road with a boot full of 2nd gear on boost.

Prior to this I have always run Pirelli and or Pilot Sport…. Both of last years purchases for the road honestly dont feel that much different and I have cash left over to put pirelli corsas or others on that spare set of wheels if i take it to the track..

Would love to know others experiences.

Can anyone give some context , I havent seen the report/mag , is it a road test or track?

http://www.motormag.com.au/news/1505/continental-wins-motor-2015-tyre-test/  or buy the magazine ya cheapskate! :D

No Pirelli?

So am I correct in assuming that this test was only for tyres you buy from Jax?

Jax's actually sell Pirelli too. I think it was just the case of they only had so much track time and had to limit the number of tests.

I got my PS3's at Jax and Cameron McConville(SP) was the owner at the time(V8 Supercar driver), and he loved my car and told me how he used to race one and loved it. As I had just bought it I was super impressed a legend of motorsport took the time to talk to me about my car. The next day I read that years tyre test and the PS3's had won by a large margin so I stoked the guys at Jax had given me straight up good advice.

I'm a little wary of applying these results to all cars.  Older lighter cars with less sophisticated suspensions would almost certainly give different results.  My experience with PSCs on older cars was not good.  Conversely, I can imagine the Direzza's (which work best at low pressures and have relatively soft side walls) having problems with a car like the Merc used for the test, but are brilliant on lighter cars with more suspension compliance.  Horses for courses...

I'm a little wary of applying these results to all cars.  Older lighter cars with less sophisticated suspensions would almost certainly give different results.  My experience with PSCs on older cars was not good.  Conversely, I can imagine the Direzza's (which work best at low pressures and have relatively soft side walls) having problems with a car like the Merc used for the test, but are brilliant on lighter cars with more suspension compliance.  Horses for courses...

couldn`t agree more, I changed from bridgestone so? adrenalin to direzza`s  on the 993 and there is no comparison the direzza`s are far better on that car 

Archived