Singer - Really

symsy

I don't think its a fair statement to say you could build the same car for far less money, you just can't and that is a fact. The engineering, development, grade of materials, man hours etc would actually stack up to be a lot more than what Singer charges if you were to try and build an equivalent car. 

Can you build a great 911 for a fraction of the cost that would be as fun to drive? You bet your ass you could... but that isn't the point of Singer now is it? If you have to sit there and quantify/qualify Singer into rational terms then its not the car for you. 

I think that is a good point about comparing the 73 Carrera RS to the Singer for future values! Lets set a calendar reminder for 20 years time to revisit this thread :) 

As a mere mortal I will just spectate from here for now... B)

See I disagree there.

Use the wiring for example, a claimed 30k for just the harness. I have spoken to my auto sparky friend and he claims its outrageously over priced.

I mean sure there will be parts that are going to be hard to replicate (body panels for example) but there are plenty of composite manufacturers within Australia that could do it. 

If your budget is near enough to the million dollar mark (550 GBP) then I think it is entirely do-able. You wont have the Singer badge, but you will have most everything else exactly the same quality.

Seriously, no offence to Zag but to compare what they do with Singer is somewhat pointless. There is a huge difference between restoring a car (paint, panels, etc.) and designing/re-engineering/building a car, both in terms of cost and final outcomes.  

If you want a Singer you need to buy one - restoring an old 911 to look like one is a completely different proposition. 2 different levels of associated costs for 2 very different outcomes.

See I disagree there.

Use the wiring for example, a claimed 30k for just the harness. I have spoken to my auto sparky friend and he claims its outrageously over priced.

I mean sure there will be parts that are going to be hard to replicate (body panels for example) but there are plenty of composite manufacturers within Australia that could do it. 

If your budget is near enough to the million dollar mark (550 GBP) then I think it is entirely do-able. You wont have the Singer badge, but you will have most everything else exactly the same quality.

I'm not sure (aside from the article in the OP) where the figure of 500K GBP became the base price for Singer? By all accounts I can see how you can go silly on spec, but isn't the starting price for a Singer about $400450K USD? 

Seriously, no offence to Zag but to compare what they do with Singer is somewhat pointless. There is a huge difference between restoring a car (paint, panels, etc.) and designing/re-engineering/building a car, both in terms of cost and final outcomes.  

If you want a Singer you need to buy one - restoring an old 911 to look like one is a completely different proposition. 2 different levels of associated costs for 2 very different outcomes.

Agree Hugh

After all is said and done , yes the Singer is an exceptional car , as it should be for the that money. Toady you could haver bought a Zag based 89 C4 for $130k , listed on Car sales and went PDQ ! 

cp5488668838750512662.jpg

That is a C4 cab with the roof welded on... look on Zags site. 

I'm not sure (aside from the article in the OP) where the figure of 500K GBP became the base price for Singer? By all accounts I can see how you can go silly on spec, but isn't the starting price for a Singer about $400450K USD? 

Agree Hugh

That is a C4 cab with the roof welded on... look on Zags site. 

I recall this car when it was last on Carsales. A Melbourne seller who had lost his job was selling it & was on for a long time. I procrastinated (as usual) at I think $60-70K.

On the old Zag web site the car was described as a UK 964 coupe, I think the original colour was black. John at Zag confirmed this later & a sell of $60K. 

Sure went quick this time, only came on yesterday, thats if it has sold.

The car you are looking at edgy is the RSR. The car above is the Signal Orange 73 RS replica.

I think comparing the cost of wiring harnesses and composite panels is still missing the point.

what you get with a singer is a turn-key car without issues and niggles.

sure you can make your own CF panels and Motorsport grade wiring harness, but it will be a multi-year process of making it happen and debugging until it is sorted. If you costed your hours it would start to add up.  For many the hours are the point.

for singer customers they spend a but of time deciding on options, then have the car delivered and start enjoying. Everything works exactly as designed and no niggles.

massive difference and for anyone involved in product delivery 80/20 rule bites with a vengeance, and that's where your money hoes with a singer - eliminating that 80% 

I think comparing the cost of wiring harnesses and composite panels is still missing the point.

what you get with a singer is a turn-key car without issues and niggles.

sure you can make your own CF panels and Motorsport grade wiring harness, but it will be a multi-year process of making it happen and debugging until it is sorted. If you costed your hours it would start to add up.  For many the hours are the point.

for singer customers they spend a but of time deciding on options, then have the car delivered and start enjoying. Everything works exactly as designed and no niggles.

massive difference and for anyone involved in product delivery 80/20 rule bites with a vengeance, and that's where your money hoes with a singer - eliminating that 80% 

spot on. Although apparently you didn't want one of the first batch. Might just be Autohaus have a dig but apparently they spent a fair time back at the shop ;) 

Archived