Toyota 86

Stew F

I went with my daughter yesterday to get her satnav fixed in her Suzuki.  The dealer is a Suzi, Toyota & something else dealership.  I was looking at the newly released 86 Blackline Edition.  I'm going back next week to test drive it.  Anyone have any experience with the Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ? 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some seem to love them, others underwhelmed. Lack of power was the main reason. I guess it depends what you've been used to.

"Fairly priced, well balanced sports car", was the general consensus. 

If you google it there are plenty of discussions on them.

Some seem to love them, others underwhelmed. Lack of power was the main reason. I guess it depends what you've been used to.

"Fairly priced, well balanced sports car", was the general consensus. 

If you google it there are plenty of discussions on them.

I've heard the same things.  Clarkson seems to like them.  I think it was his car of the year.

My son bought one and loves it. Yes you have to keep it revved to make power , but that's no different to an old 911. And the handling is on par with my 911. Your passenger will either love it or want to get out.

just curious. What made him buy the Toyota over the Subaru BRZ?

I've heard the same things.  Clarkson seems to like them.  I think it was his car of the year.

just curious. What made him buy the Toyota over the Subaru BRZ?

He is mindful of the value:price ratio drummed into him by his father!

There are other things he has to save for at this stage of his life.

Stew, promise me youll go drive a 2nd hand R56 JCW mini as well for a comparison.

I've driven a mates 86 a few times...observations:

Pros

- steers wonderfully.  The highlight feature of the car.

- the parts your body touches are good (seats, steering wheel, shifter, pedals)

- shift feel is excellent

- seats comfy

- rwd dynamics

Cons

- skinny tires.  Could be a pro if you like skids...it skids really easily

- no torque, all revs 

- interior feels like a Toyota.  Plastic and cheap surfaces

- I don't like the exterior design (specifically the lights) 

Driven back to back with my jcw mini, we agreed that the mini was better on the street because it has better torque and is therefore quicker. Mini also more practical due to the hatch shape. On the track, the 86 might have it over the mini because its happier at the top of the rev band and due to rwd.

If I had one of have no problem hacking it up  to mod or track because it felt like a bit of an appliance to me and theres millions of them...

Had one of these on order back in 2012 when they were released. Had a long test drive through chain of ponds at the time, chassis was fun and fairly direct, engine was a big let down IMO. Eventually cancelled the order before it arrived. They would be great with a little more torque and power (i.e. a small responsive turbo).

If I had one of have no problem hacking it up  to mod or track because it felt like a bit of an appliance to me and theres millions of them...

There is a bolt on supercharger option which increases HP by 50%. But it makes a noise , as they do.

There is a bolt on supercharger option which increases HP by 50%. But it makes a noise , as they do.

Makes a good whining noise! That'd be my first planned mod...

My biggest concern, for lack of a better word, is the narrow torque band, and the fact that it's so high up the rev range.  And yes tit, I will check out thy mini.

I'd probably add that I assume that it would be reliable like a Toyota.  Haven't really heard any complaints about their reliability and costs to run.

Makes a good whining noise! That'd be my first planned mod...

I'd probably add that I assume that it would be reliable like a Toyota.  Haven't really heard any complaints about their reliability and costs to run.

Changing spark plugs was said to be an engine out affair...

Looked at getting one a little bit before the 996.

Biggest issue with them is 2nd gear syncro. 1st and 3rd can go the same way. Check the 86 forum threads online all you need to do is type in "Toyota 86 second gear" into google and you'll see what I mean.

Three mates have them as dailys and they all have varying degrees of issues with 2nd or 3rd. One pops out of gear constantly in second and they all make nice grinding sounds. Which means 100% of people I know who have them have gearbox issues. Cars age from 1-3 years old. They've all had fights with Toyota and gotten nowhere. One of these guys finally gave up and canceled the lease and swapped to an Audi.

If you can deal with the box they're a great car, unless you end up with the auto which is a powerless dog of a car. A few small mods and they become really quick with a good set of tyres.

Thanks Guys.  This changing cars business is all getting too hard.  I've looked at a few, and considered a few others. Haven't crossed any off the list yet, but I'm getting close I think.  The thing is, New or Used. I think I'm just gonna get in my SC and go for a drive.

I like the 86.. but then, working for a Toyota dealer, I am just a little bias.

The blackline edition is just a TRD kit and some silly stripes plus the reddish interior the UK cars got at release; it all looks good though, except the naff 86 decal on the fuel filler.

Wonderfully light, flickable car. Reliable as anything, comfortable, etc.. built by subaru... design by Toyota... 

I felt they need more Torque. The skinny tyres are fun. I find the manual gearchange a bit annoying...

But I love driving the GTS auto.. it is no DSG but it does change well and blips on the down change.

What's your budget Stu? Use? Give some parameters and we can start throwing ideas around...

daily driver. Some country driving, but mostly freeway and metro. $40K +/- a bit. If I buy new I reckon I'll trade in my Mitsubishi Triton. Might even do a 2 car trade in and flip the swift as well.

daily driver. Some country driving, but mostly freeway and metro. $40K +/- a bit. If I buy new I reckon I'll trade in my Mitsubishi Triton. Might even do a 2 car trade in and flip the swift as well.

knowing Adelaide city roads, maybe you need a 4wd! :P

Jokes

Towing? What kind of junk do you drag around in your car? Passengers? 

Cash purchase? Lease? New? 2nd hand?

40k... Obviously 996 comes to mind.

How about an E82 135i? Get the N54 engine with a 6sp . Those things kick ass.

R56 JCW mini.

Renault Megane RS

Early gen Boxster / cayman

Ford focus or fiesta RS

Stay away from VAG cars... ;)

Had no opinion on the 86 other than just another Japanese car pretending to be a sports car. Friend bought one and promptly told me he reckoned it was the modern day 356  Made me spit my beer out on that one. Couple of weeks a go I had a couple of laps at Phillip Island in the Pedders Production Racer 86 It's noisy, stops well,has great mid corner speed and grip on Yokohama AO50s but is crying out for some more power. Would I buy a road one? Nah. Would I buy a race one? Nah.

PeddersRacing86-2015AMChamp-Rd2-PI-006.j

knowing Adelaide city roads, maybe you need a 4wd! :P

Jokes

Towing? What kind of junk do you drag around in your car? Passengers? 

Cash purchase? Lease? New? 2nd hand?

40k... Obviously 996 comes to mind.

How about an E82 135i? Get the N54 engine with a 6sp . Those things kick ass.

R56 JCW mini.

Renault Megane RS

Early gen Boxster / cayman

Ford focus or fiesta RS

Stay away from VAG cars... ;)

Since I live in the hills, something that handles relatively good and is a bit of fun to drive.  No towing. Generally, the biggest thing I cart around in the car is my laptop, a couple of monitors, and some associated junk.  It's just me in the car most of the time.

New, demo or low mileage used.

Focus RS - looks good, but more than what I want to spend

Megane RS Cup 265 - a bit above my proposed spend, but worth considering

I'll still drive the Toyota 86 as well.

No rush I suppose.

Archived