Toyota 86

Stew F

There is no such thing as too much power (you don't have to use it all )

there is such a thing as not enough 

that's for sure. Nothing worse than getting a car for a particular purpose and it under performs. I still like the Circa 2003 M3 but the carbon ceramic brakes kind of worry me. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's for sure. Nothing worse than getting a car for a particular purpose and it under performs. I still like the Circa 2003 M3 but the carbon ceramic brakes kind of worry me. 

E46 didn't have carbon ceramics? May have been an option but if they were it was rarely ticked. Cracking floor pan at the rear is the issue with those cars but can be fixed and they represent amazing value these days. Probably not daily driving material though.

I have a focus RS on order currently but for some reason not that excited about it. Have you considered Focus ST? Better value than the golf range IMO and has fairly good amount of power for a bum dragger (185ish kW I think?)

E46 didn't have carbon ceramics? May have been an option but if they were it was rarely ticked. Cracking floor pan at the rear is the issue with those cars but can be fixed and they represent amazing value these days. Probably not daily driving material though.

I have a focus RS on order currently but for some reason not that excited about it. Have you considered Focus ST? Better value than the golf range IMO and has fairly good amount of power for a bum dragger (185ish kW I think?)

Must have just been a couple that I looked at on the web, and didn't notice when looking at others.  That makes me feel a bit more comfortable about looking further at the M3.

Today I drove the Ford Focus ST and the Toyota 86 GTS.  Here's my review.

First the Focus. It's a 2 litre turbo 6 speed manual in probably what is the worst colour I've ever seen on a car.  It was a horrendous grey that looks at home on an old English lathe.  It had mega torque steer to the left when it comes on boost.  Lots of power. Gear shifting was a bit vague. I found it a bit hard to tell what gear you're selecting. Nicely appointed inside & out. 18 inch rims with 235/40's all round. Not a very good turning circle due to the wide tyres (the guy said they've had to reduce the turning circle from that of a standard Focus which runs 205's). Overall, not a bad car though. If you're a Ford fan you'll love it.  Salesman was a bit of a hick.

Then the 86. 2 liter flat four with 6 speed manual. It was a 1 year old manual with 8000 km. ex TMC car.  I was really surprised by how good it drove considering peak torque is at around 6500 rpm. It was pretty good through the rev range from about 2500 onward, providing you're in the right gear.  Gear shift is positive and direct, and it has a real short throw on the shifter.  I really enjoyed it. The guy there knows I have a 911. He asked me how it compared. My reply - as good to drive, but different obviously.   Did I say I enjoyed driving it? 

I like white cars.  Good resale ability.  The focus white is just fridge white, whereas the 86 white is a pearl metallic.  Service costs are comparable.  The Focus has more gadgets, and is around $4k more expensive.  Focus' load carrying space is better.  not hugely important, but I do cart computer gear around when I go from place to place for work.

So far, the 86 GTS gets the chocolates.  Tomorrow I'm going to drive a Renault Megane RS 265 Cup.

Nice. Interesting about the focus.

I was surprised about the 86 steering weight and the beautiful shift.

I still think an R56 Cooper S or JCW will out turn and out torque an 86. Plus you can fit four wheels and tires in the back ;)

Please please try out a second hand 135i manual. Make sure its the N54 engine (not N55). Rwd. 6spd. Lovely bimmer steering. Just downpipes and a tune away from 260rwkw. I know its not new, but less depreciation and way more car than the other options. It would spank an E46 M3.

Today I drove the Ford Focus ST and the Toyota 86 GTS.  Here's my review.

First the Focus. It's a 2 litre turbo 6 speed manual in probably what is the worst colour I've ever seen on a car.  It was a horrendous grey that looks at home on an old English lathe.  It had mega torque steer to the left when it comes on boost.  Lots of power. Gear shifting was a bit vague. I found it a bit hard to tell what gear you're selecting. Nicely appointed inside & out. 18 inch rims with 235/40's all round. Not a very good turning circle due to the wide tyres (the guy said they've had to reduce the turning circle from that of a standard Focus which runs 205's). Overall, not a bad car though. If you're a Ford fan you'll love it.  Salesman was a bit of a hick.

Then the 86. 2 liter flat four with 6 speed manual. It was a 1 year old manual with 8000 km. ex TMC car.  I was really surprised by how good it drove considering peak torque is at around 6500 rpm. It was pretty good through the rev range from about 2500 onward, providing you're in the right gear.  Gear shift is positive and direct, and it has a real short throw on the shifter.  I really enjoyed it. The guy there knows I have a 911. He asked me how it compared. My reply - as good to drive, but different obviously.   Did I say I enjoyed driving it? 

I like white cars.  Good resale ability.  The focus white is just fridge white, whereas the 86 white is a pearl metallic.  Service costs are comparable.  The Focus has more gadgets, and is around $4k more expensive.  Focus' load carrying space is better.  not hugely important, but I do cart computer gear around when I go from place to place for work.

So far, the 86 GTS gets the chocolates.  Tomorrow I'm going to drive a Renault Megane RS 265 Cup.

Smart fella...

Please please try out a second hand 135i manual.

The M135i is getting down into the 40s as a used buy as well. Cracking drive! Hardly ever see manuals around but the 8 speed is pretty damn good too.

You can feel the significant weight difference between the Beemer and the Toyotcar.

They are quite different cars; the T car is great for those who prefer simplicity ; reminds me of those Celicas in the 70s. 

I personally detest FWD and torque steer; no Focus for me!

How are the 3-4 year old cars doing reliability wise? I keep hearing horror stories about Minis for a start. Once you're in the 2nd hand market out of warranty , it's a mug's game. 

I've had a few FWD cars over the years, but nothing near the power of the Focus ST.  I actually felt a little uncomfortable driving it for some reason.  I don't like the style of the M135, but I don't mind the coupe, and it still has 225 kw.

The best reliability bet would be the Toyota.  Our mini hasn't given us too much grief.  But its our fourth. Previous ones had sprradic problems.  Yes, they have some issues, but the reward is in the drive an character.  At least they don't have catastrophic failures like modern vw's.

The bimmers biggest problem was the high pressure fuel pumps. Not sure what issues they face at this age.

Out of warranty risks might be a mugs game. But what does that mean for the depreciation game? That's guaranteed waste...

How are the 3-4 year old cars doing reliability wise? I keep hearing horror stories about Minis for a start. Once you're in the 2nd hand market out of warranty , it's a mug's game. 

Well chaps, I bought a Megane RS 265 cup. 195kw 6 speed with leather option and the RS gear knob. White, demo with 700 km on it. An amazing drive. Pick it up on Saturday. Can't wait to get it and go for a long drive.

Well chaps, I bought a Megane RS 265 cup. 195kw 6 speed with leather option and the RS gear knob. White, demo with 700 km on it. An amazing drive. Pick it up on Saturday. Can't wait to get it and go for a long drive.

945.gif

First time I drove a Megane RS was in the Adelaide hills.  Actually, I know the sales manager at Main North Renault....Michael P...

You can feel the significant weight difference between the Beemer and the Toyotcar.

They are quite different cars; the T car is great for those who prefer simplicity ; reminds me of those Celicas in the 70s. 

I personally detest FWD and torque steer; no Focus for me!

every time someone reviews a new FWD powercar, they always say the torque steer is tamed.  Then people start driving them in the real world and talk about torque steer.  Do the reviewers have bias?  Do factory fresh cars handle it better?

either way I don't like FWD cars and have no plan to buy one, ever.

Archived