Plastidipped GT3 wheels today

The finish on my wheels is half in need of a bit of a tidy up and I've always wanted to try black wheels on the GT3 so I experimented with plastidip for the first time today. There are lots of tips on dipyourcar.com regarding how to use the product with best results but naturally I got stuck in pretty well right away.

The finish turned out good from afar but far from good if you know what I mean. The texture is a little rough as opposed to completely smooth but that's down to my poor technique rather than the product itself. I also went over it with glossifier to achieve a satin finish. In the end I'm pretty happy with how the car looks and will leave it like this for a while. It just  peels off when I've had enough of it.

IMG_4917_zpseynruxn5.jpg

IMG_4918_zpsl555j1c6.jpg

^^^ pre-glossifier on the right vs glossified on the left.

IMG_4921_zps4if7bcty.jpg

IMG_4922_zpshqoldkt9.jpg

IMG_4920_zpsdpl65fnm.jpg

Nice, I plastidipped the wheels on my 4WD that was three years ago and it still looks great. I found the glossifier goes yellow and peels off, over the top of the black.

If the tin is warm I get a better texture without the splatter. Put the can in the sun or heat it very carefully with a hair drier. 

Also heat the wheels prior to painting and use the hair drier again to help the paint dry. 

IMG_2356_zpsbfb48a43.jpg

Thanks boys. 

@Fraz yours looks like it turned out nice and smooth. I put the cans in hot water for 10 minutes before using but some of them probably cooled down before I got around to using them in the later coats. The nozzles on the cans proved to be fairly unreliable which make things a bit difficult. Otherwise do you think it's just the heat (of lack of) that makes the finish a bit more textured/uneven looking?

Thanks boys. 

@Fraz yours looks like it turned out nice and smooth. I put the cans in hot water for 10 minutes before using but some of them probably cooled down before I got around to using them in the later coats. The nozzles on the cans proved to be fairly unreliable which make things a bit difficult. Otherwise do you think it's just the heat (of lack of) that makes the finish a bit more textured/uneven looking?

Heat is the key mate, sit the wheels it the sun prior to helps.  

I warm the can by heating then shake the can, heat again, shake and so on until it evenly warm. If the can stays nice and warm you don't get that splatter from the nozzle and they tend not to block up. Just be careful not to get it hot for obvious reasons, just evenly warm after well shaken.

I lay on fairly thick coats then dry with the hair drier or heat gun at a distance not too close or you will ripple the finish, usually four coats is enough. 

Autobarn sell it too with a good range of colours, I did my mates wheels orange and they came up a treat.

Also paint the inside of the wheel around the spokes so the dip covers the whole spoke, they tend to peel from the edges if you don't.

image.jpg1_zpspwzeosnf.jpg

dip4_zps988c2605.jpg

dip3_zpsfabec681.jpg

dip1_zps4fc87339.jpg

I wish I'd known that tip about the hair dryer before I did it! Oh well, might re-do the rear wheels in a few weeks if the wrinkled finish bugs me enough. Fonzie from dip your car says long slow heavy sprays ensures a smooth and even finish but I found that difficult to achieve given the amount of spokes and tight corners on the GT3 wheel.  I had actually planned on painting the back sides of the spokes and the inner rims too but my finger was pretty sore after 4 coats of just the outter face. One of those trigger guns would make life a little easier. 

Wheels look great mate, black on black looks nice and mean on a GT3!

Heat is the key mate, sit the wheels it the sun prior to helps.  

I warm the can by heating then shake the can, heat again, shake and so on until it evenly warm. If the can stays nice and warm you don't get that splatter from the nozzle and they tend not to block up. Just be careful not to get it hot for obvious reasons, just evenly warm after well shaken.

I lay on fairly thick coats then dry with the hair drier or heat gun at a distance not too close or you will ripple the finish, usually four coats is enough. 

Autobarn sell it too with a good range of colours, I did my mates wheels orange and they came up a treat.

Also paint the inside of the wheel around the spokes so the dip covers the whole spoke, they tend to peel from the edges if you don't.

image.jpg1_zpspwzeosnf.jpg

dip4_zps988c2605.jpg

dip3_zpsfabec681.jpg

dip1_zps4fc87339.jpg

Fraz is the Mcgivor of this forum, legend !

Archived