WTB : Roof Rack for early 911

ByronBayChris

I am looking to fit a roof rack to the 72 for our pending journey to hell Sydney.   Taking two kids in the back, and I need somewhere to stick all their stuff - and I just don't think the front boot will cope with 7 days of supplies.

Does anyone know if early beetle racks fit ?

Or

Does anyone have one stuck in a garage they no longer need ?

Thule sell a set that fit the 993 - not sure about the '72, but given they are gutter mount - maybe they will work?

IMG_20150917_162930-XL.jpg

I have a full set of the Thule GM9512 gutter mounts available, you would just need the 120cm Thule bars of your choosing to complete the rack - I re-used my 120cm bars on another car with different mounts.

20160318_085500-X2.jpg

They were $187 new for the set of mounts and have been used once. For reference, the Thule Aero bars to complete the setup were $115 new.

Will sell them for $120 plus postage.

Ross.

BBC, I have had the same set of the Thule racks for all my P cars (84-87 models) and have carried anything from surfboards to multiple sheets of steel mesh and heavy timber. They can certainly handle what you need them fit...unfortunately, I sold them with the car a couple of month ago.

I think these are the way to go for my purpose 

Can share them amongst the cars.

And a reproduction early 911 rack is over $1000 

Let me know if you dont grab them as I'd be interested. Thought about a tow bar? :D

@ByronBayChris

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/innes-park/other-parts-accessories/bike-carrier-porsche-911/1103384664

Thanks @LeeM, I think I'm sorted.  Getting Ross' Feet, and have found a used pair of Aero bars which I am hoping will be sent to me.  Cost will be under $200 for the racks.  Happy Me....thanks all

Thanks @LeeM, I think I'm sorted.  Getting Ross' Feet, and have found a used pair of Aero bars which I am hoping will be sent to me.  Cost will be under $200 for the racks.  Happy Me....thanks all

Happy you .... that's great!

But have you told the kids yet?  ..... me thinking not so happy kids ....  :lol:

And they will be happy coz I will tell them to be ;)

Ahhhh ..... so there is someone else out there that treats them like I do .... "You'll like it ... and you'll like it with a smile on your face"

Positive Feedback for @rosswj67 for his Thule feet.   He mailed them prior to me paying for them and they arrived within a couple of days (pretty good, considering it to go "rural".     Thanks Ross.

Bought a pair of black square bars from the local Thule outlet and I'm a happy camper.   Now to strap the kids on top.

25974781031_4488432407_z.jpg

Ive got one, but it is the largest I could buy for the family 7 seater.   I think it would (a) look ridiculous and (b) be too big for the 911.   

You can get them now in a smaller, slimmer profile. Then you could matt black wrap it :ph34r:

it would look pretty sweet on that black 993 of yours! 

Archived