Tyre Puncture

Hi All,

Noticed a screw in one of the tyres of the Cayman.  Not flat yet..but will be if not fixed.

Concerned that if I take the tyre to just anyone they may damage the rim.

So if you can recommend a shop that you have had a good experience in the Melbourne area..Please let me know.

Rocco

Basically all the tyre shop will do is stick a plug in it. They won't even take the tyre off of the rim. I have done this several times myself now and I keep a repair kit (which I think costs about $10 from Supercheap or similar), and it takes about 2 or 3 minutes to do. You just pull the nail out, and then enlarge the hole with the knurled spike which is supplied with the kit, then chuck in the plug, trim off the excess and pump up the tyre.  All done in 2 mins ;) 

Note: None of the tyres I have plugged have gone flat again. All fixed with zero problems.

Hi All,

Noticed a screw in one of the tyres of the Cayman.  Not flat yet..but will be if not fixed.

Concerned that if I take the tyre to just anyone they may damage the rim.

So if you can recommend a shop that you have had a good experience in the Melbourne area..Please let me know.

Rocco

If you intend to take the car/wheel to a service centre do not take the screw out, just keep the tyre inflated and they will remove the screw when you take it in.

Basically all the tyre shop will do is stick a plug in it. They won't even take the tyre off of the rim. I have done this several times myself now and I keep a repair kit (which I think costs about $10 from Supercheap or similar), and it takes about 2 or 3 minutes to do. You just pull the nail out, and then enlarge the hole with the knurled spike which is supplied with the kit, then chuck in the plug, trim off the excess and pump up the tyre.  All done in 2 mins ;) 

Note: None of the tyres I have plugged have gone flat again. All fixed with zero problems.

Any reputable tyre shop WILL remove the tyre from the rim to check for internal damage. If it is repairable due to minimal internal damage and in the area of the tread that repairs are permitted on then they will install a special internal patch that includes a nipple to fill the hole left by the screw. 

The cheap repair kits where you insert a cord with the tyre on the rim are for temporary use to get you to a tyre repair shop. 

Given the high performance of a Porsche sports car I never use a repaired tyre on them.

Fair enough. I have never done the repair on a high performance tyre, but I have seen many tyre repair shops do the repair cord repair, and as I mentioned, I have never seen a repeat problem with those repairs. My Merc has one I put in it 6 months ago and it has tyre inflation sensors. Hasn't dropped 1psi in that time.

Fair enough. I have never done the repair on a high performance tyre, but I have seen many tyre repair shops do the repair cord repair, and as I mentioned, I have never seen a repeat problem with those repairs. My Merc has one I put in it 6 months ago and it has tyre inflation sensors. Hasn't dropped 1psi in that time.

yeah, ....but you can grow petrol, and forge 911 body parts with your bare hands ;)

Bob Jane (closest to me) have never had an issue. If they damaged a rim they'd have to pay for it

yeah, ....but you can grow petrol, and forge 911 body parts with your bare hands ;)

Bob Jane (closest to me) have never had an issue. If they damaged a rim they'd have to pay for it

Touche.     

Nice new avatar by the way ;) 

Any reputable tyre shop WILL remove the tyre from the rim to check for internal damage.

Red,

I think the reality is that in most cases they only remove the tyre if they are going to sell you a new one! 

I suggest in most cases if the cause of the damage is obvious, the damage is limited and in a repairable location and the owner hasn't buggered the tyre by driving on it excessively when deflated, they just do an external plug.

Just saying!

To have anything else done would be a "special request".

Red,

I think the reality is that in most cases they only remove the tyre if they are going to sell you a new one! 

I suggest in most cases if the cause of the damage is obvious, the damage is limited and in a repairable location and the owner hasn't buggered the tyre by driving on it excessively when deflated, they just do an external plug.

Just saying!

They have to remove the tyre from the rim. The liability issues involved with not doing so would be huge. Would you take someones word on how far they have driven on a tyre with low pressure? The sidewalls could be stuffed. Also the damage on the inside from a screw is almost always much worse than it looks from the outside. I have had what looked to be minor damage from a screw on the outside but inside it was a mess of tears and jagged edges. Tyre was not repairable due to to much structual cord damage. There is a lot of stress placed on a tyre and it will work away at the weakest (damaged) point untill it wins.

I have used many cords in my 4x4 when outback. They have their uses. Just not in a high performance road tyre.

Has anybody used this Dynaplug product for a roadside "get me home" repair.

Thinking about getting a kit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RzobjuYTZQw

That is very similar to many of the tyre plugs we have been talking about, although, I think that plug looks a little small.

They have to remove the tyre from the rim. The liability issues involved with not doing so would be huge. Would you take someones word on how far they have driven on a tyre with low pressure? The sidewalls could be stuffed. Also the damage on the inside from a screw is almost always much worse than it looks from the outside. I have had what looked to be minor damage from a screw on the outside but inside it was a mess of tears and jagged edges. Tyre was not repairable due to to much structual cord damage. There is a lot of stress placed on a tyre and it will work away at the weakest (damaged) point untill it wins.

I have used many cords in my 4x4 when outback. They have their uses. Just not in a high performance road tyre.

I don't think there are liability issues. They have been asked to repair a leak. If the leak holds, they have done their job as advertised, as long as they warn you of the issues of other possible damage. But if you are that worried about damage, just replace the whole tyre, but of course then you probably need to replace 2 tyres because the wear levels would be different...

That is very similar to many of the tyre plugs we have been talking about, although, I think that plug looks a little small.

I don't think there are liability issues. They have been asked to repair a leak. If the leak holds, they have done their job as advertised, as long as they warn you of the issues of other possible damage. But if you are that worried about damage, just replace the whole tyre, but of course then you probably need to replace 2 tyres because the wear levels would be different...

Yep nearly always two tyres on the Porsche and somtimes 4. 

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/~/media/files/documents/safety-and-road-rules/vsi16.ashx?la=en

There is a lot more infro out there and most states do have regulations regarding tyre repairs.

It is not about stopping the air leaking out it is about the structural damage done to the tyre. 

I agree.  

I think the cautionary tale of all this is not to assume that all tyre repairs are automatically done to the Australian Standard and it is worth talking to the person actually doing the repair to ascertain what they intend to do.

Red,

Just saying!

If they don't take the tyre off the rim i would ask them to and i wouldn't go back, i have had a few patches put on the inside of tyres over the years and the fitters have always said they need to check inside the tyre before repairs are done.

JAX tyres Richmond, have done a few for me, no problem. Or tyres & more in Croydon.

Thanks Fraz....you managed to stick to the question and you take the chocolates...

A tyre repair will involve removing the tyre.

The road side plugs are great, I've used them many times over 20 years with no issue.

A tyre store will plug the hole with a mushroom shaped plug that is inserted from inside the tyre. Providing the hole is not too close to the corner of the tread.

Archived