996 or Cayman?

ANF

Got my latest issue of GT Porsche mag recently and it has a good article about whether the 996 or Cayman is the good choice? In the UK they are priced in the 15k to 20k GBP

Over here you could get a 996 in the 30s but most likely the 40s is a better starting point maybe? And you can go quite high... but if you keep it say $40k to $60k which would you choose a 996 or a Cayman? The article likens the 996 to a Buffalo and the Cayman to a Cheetah?! I don't see that as a glowing reference for the 996.... but they do not portray it that way. Basically comes down to horses for courses... 996 more torquey with Cayman more of a rever, they pretty much leave it up to the indivdual. On paper performance is close also.

Interestingly there is not much difference in the size of each 4430 long/ 1765 wide/ 1305 high/ 1320 kg for the 996.2 vs 4341/ 1801/ 1305/ 1350 kg for the Cayman, they were comparing a 4S to an S but I have just used "base" figures. Very interesting that the 996 is lighter!! There are of course variations on these figures over the ranges, but basically they are close.

Each has their virtues but I think I would go the 996 for various small reasons, I like the styling of both but tend towards the 996 plus the bonus of the rear seat.

cp46805916173400853451_zpsi8oqnxwt.jpg

996-8_zpscnhb1sdo.jpg

2013-porsche-cayman-rear-left-side-view1

porscheCaymanS_manu_005_zpsdoizxtnh.jpg

If you have anyone small enough to fit in the back seat then I guess that's a bonus.

For me the Cayman is more modern technology / handing...

But the 996 is a 911 if that's important to you?

I'm biased of course but i'd go the Cayman ;)

Edit:

Probably most important, go drive both and buy what you like...

Not that I'm much help here, yet if they were the same money, condition, colour etc etc, I would go for the Cayman S.

Mainly because I would want a good handling, nimble car that I can zap out of a corner with some grunt, and I prefer its body shape. The 996 styling has grown on me now (I would do a GT3 kit though), and having sat in one, it would be more comfortable for a 6' 2" beanstalk like me. The Cayman is a bit cramped to be honest, yet as it would only be a weekend hills blaster for me, I could live with it

I would just take a couple for a fang in the hills to see which one is more appealing to your taste

I am not in the market, just thought it was an interesting article and I have never thought of the Cayman as a direct competitor to the 996 - most likely, for me, due to the seating and I always assumed that the Cayman was much smaller than a 996.... exactly what Porsche want you to think ;)

My 5 y.o. son is a good fit for my 928 so that is an important consideration to me and I have always liked the 996's shape. Is it being a 911 a factor, well honestly somewhat... but as you say when the time does arise I would drive both and by that time junior may be too big for the rear of any 2 door Porsche :)

I had a similar choice to make, with both cars being around my budget at the time.

Lots of logical reasons for the Cayman, but emotionally for me had to be a 911 to fulfil the dream of having wanted one since a kid - when Caymans didn't exist!

I think there is also something special about a model with such a long innings too.  

I'd say you'd be in front with depreciation on the 911 vs Cayman too.

Back seats a clincher with kids too - it's nice to be able to share the Porsche experience with them.

The Cayman does seem to be a cracking good car though & makes a lot of sense if you don't have kids.

I went through this same thought process when I bought my Cayman S (obviously you know which way I ended up going). I also always wanted a 911 and never had even considered a Cayman, as I was never a fan of the Boxster (I am not a convertible guy), and it turned me off that it was a more expensive Boxster with a roof. But once I started looking at them, the interior is MUCH nicer. I am an interior guy, because that is where I will see the car from most of the time, and I don't like the 996 interior. It reminds me of a Hyundai Excel. Then I started looking at reviews and that had me. Every car reviewer on the planet it seems, rates the Cayman S as one of the best sports cars ever made. After having one, I have to agree, it was a fantastic car. Surprising amount of luggage space. My wife and I did the Great Ocean Road in it and it fit 2 carry on bags in the froot (along with some bottles of wine etc, and the rear has quite a bit of space too, although it is not very deep under the sloping rear hatch. 

I miss the CS (and this is one of the only cars I have ever missed owning), and if I made the decision again, I would again go for the CS... 

That said, if it was a choice between a 997 and a 987 CS, I would go the 997.

I can see some really great craftsmanship in that interior, pity it is one of the most hideous things I have ever seen...

He will do whatever you desire...using quality leather,  not what Toyota suggested...

My heart says Cayman. Brain says 996. The C4S (I reckon that's the perfect 996 carrera). Mainly because I have an 18 month old. I found my way to the porker marque because I looking at Caymans. Love light, nimble cars.

...I still lust after a Cayman S...

A bit off topic, but BMW 1Ms are dipping into the $60k's now. They were a common auto reviewer competitor to the Cayman S & R. A 1M would be a lark and it's far more practical than a 987 ?

My heart says Cayman. Brain says 996. The C4S (I reckon that's the perfect 996 carrera). Mainly because I have an 18 month old. I found my way to the porker marque because I looking at Caymans. Love light, nimble cars.

A bit off topic, but BMW 1Ms are dipping into the $60k's now. They were a common auto reviewer competitor to the Cayman S & R. A 1M would be a lark and it's far more practical than a 987 ?

But I would say depreciation on an M1 would be quite a lot, where the CS would probably hold it's value pretty well. M1 is a nice car though ;)

But I would say depreciation on an M1 would be quite a lot, where the CS would probably hold it's value pretty well. M1 is a nice car though ;)

Cayman if you just want to jump in something and go fast quickly. 996 if you want something with slightly more character, you do have that weight all they way out the rear after all and it's a very defining characteristic when driving it.

I wouldn't write off a 986 Boxster either. I think they are insanely cheap now, have the handling quality of a Cayman and are perfect for tinkering or customizing. I'm really surprised there hasn't been many people really starting to work on the engines to produce a lot more power. Or you could go the popular road in the USA and swap the engine to an V8 LS, but then it's not really a Porsche anymore is it.

I wish there was something you could do about the 996 interior, like a 997 retrofit or something. 

I reckon the 96 interior gets judged unfairly harshly, particularly when you judge it against the interior of air cooled cars which didn't  change for 30 plus years and in the 993 was looking old fashioned.  (Sacrilege I know but i am a water cooled man ;) )

996 interiors were the beginning of Porsche really getting a handle on the whole charging for options thing and so a standard interior is just that, standard.  However a well optioned interior in a 996 is an entirely pleasant place to be.  My car was optioned with full leather dash, so no nasty plastic and then it got the full carbon fibre pack and the seats with crest.  I have added an alcantara gearshift and replaced the centre console lid and the pads with alcantara as well.  Combined with the three spoke sports wheel and Bose speakers it is a nice place to be.  My next project is to sort out the wiring on a set of 997 Gt2 seats (very complicated unfortunately) and replace the leather cowl over the instruments with an alcantara cowl.  Compared it to  Diggin's 987 Boxster recently and reckon it stands up.

I haven't driven a 996 so I can't compare it with a Cayman as far as performance, seating position, handling etc go.    

But.     996  is still an iconic instantly recognizable Porsche.  Bred from a family of thoroughbreds.      

I love that shape.  It's definitely a Porsche.  I have always wanted one.:wub:

only downside to me would be the arse end swing, when pushed to its limits.:o

But I guess once you know your car you should overcome that "most of the time"

I am now the proud owner of a Cayman S 6 speed manual.B) 

I just love it.   The shape still carries the iconic Porsche history.

But I think they have now perfected that look.   

Performance.    Much more car than I am a driver.  1st  just ok,

2nd 3rd 4th YAHOO, it goes like a cut cat:D   5th still going hard..  

Seating position.  Sit yourself low, set up your seat, lock in your position.   Nice.

Interior.   All good, well set out for viewing and for fiddling with.

Handling.   With good tyres this thing just hangs on like shit to a blanket.

best handling car I had ever driven :)......Until I drove Chris's GT4.:(

Mid engine set up, stops that traditional arse end swing.

I'll do a bias vote 1 for the Crock, until I drive a 996 through the twisties.

In the end, every second car loving person out there would love to have either in the garage (or preferably out in the twisties)

and would happily swap their left kahoona for either one.:wacko:

Agreed.  Though the 1M is still a 'hero' car among bimmerphiles, so that might work in its favour. It won't go as low as a 135i...

996  is still an iconic instantly recognizable Porsche.  Bred from a family of thoroughbreds.      

I love that shape.  It's definitely a Porsche.  I have always wanted one.:wub:

only downside to me would be the arse end swing, when pushed to its limits.:o

But I guess once you know your car you should overcome that "most of the time"

That's exactly the reason I run the motorkhana. You actually don't need to overcome it, you can actually use it and it's soo much fun when you do. At first it is hard to find the right point between starting to loose the rear and totally gone, but you can figure it out after a couple of spins as to where that sweet spot is.

Yep agree, 100% motorkhana is where to find that out.  

Unfortunately, there have been a lot of people who hadn't done a motorkhana on nice flat surface, and only found out where the "sweet spot" is a tad late. 

When they are on a (1) twisty (throw in (2) wet (3) with leaves (4) wrong camber (5) down hill and or (6) cow shit) road.

But yep a bit of getting to know your car would be advised before tackling those conditions......

Don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking the trait, I'm just pointing out that it definitely has one and for the unwary it could be disastrous.

Archived