change of Porsche time..... need help

Hi All,

I have a 1973 914 ( RHD ) as my weekend toy  ( a Cayenne Turbo as my daily ) ,  and as much as I don't want to , my health is forcing me to probably sell it.

I have an autoimmune disease that's progressively stuffing my back and hips,  and the offset pedal position just isn't comfortable for me anymore.

And my next purchase may as well be an auto,  as im sure in another couple of years ill probably struggle with a clutch in traffic etc .

So the question is ,  what's next ??

Original thoughts were to sell the 914,  kick in a little extra and buy a 987 Boxter .

Then there is the 996 911's for a bit more again.

I would like to spend under 30K,  but if I go 996 up to 55k possibly.

The reason I write is back seats...

It's mainly my son and I going out on the weekends,  but we have been thinking of the 911 so my wife can come too if she wants ( and Nicholas can sit in the back ) .

Makes it a more family friendly purchase.

Nicholas is just about to turn 12.

We are not a big family,  I'm 5 foot 7,  and my wife is 5 foot 2.

Nicholas is probably somewhere around 5 feet tall....

What are the back seats like ?   My wife has MS and doesn't travel too well in the car these days, so not looking at trips over an hour realistically when there are three of us.

Cheers,

Dale

Back seats are small. Very little legroom and quite upright. My 6yo is 125cm and is starting to complain. I'm 5'7" and certainly can fit in the rear......but wouldn't want to for any distance.

Good luck with health.

What's the 914 you have? 

Back seats are small. Very little legroom and quite upright. My 6yo is 125cm and is starting to complain. I'm 5'7" and certainly can fit in the rear......but wouldn't want to for any distance.

Good luck with health.

What's the 914 you have? 

thanks Chris.    Have a look on my facebook.  Lots of pic's there  :)

Violet is a 1973 1.7.   Still running injection etc.

Came to Oz in 1999. Converted to RHD, and had a re-spray etc then.   

Dale 

Had you considered a Sporto conversion of the 914? There was a couple running around one of which converted by Ian Hamilton back in the day for a one legged driver??? 

As for rear seats my daughter jumps in the back and she's almost 10. She prefers the front but will ride in the back. 

I guess any 911 new or old will pose access issues for the  mobility impaired. Though height adjustable electric seats can  help 

Dale 

Had you considered a Sporto conversion of the 914? There was a couple running around one of which converted by Ian Hamilton back in the day for a one legged driver??? 

As for rear seats my daughter jumps in the back and she's almost 10. She prefers the front but will ride in the back. 

I guess any 911 new or old will pose access issues for the  mobility impaired. Though height adjustable electric seats can  help 

I did toy with the idea of a sporto conv having seen some projects pop up in 914world every once in a while,  but at the end of the day I would probably drop as much money on it to convert it as it is worth  ( while not really increasing the sale value and limiting it's potential market even more possibly ) ,  and while it wont be as much fun,  a boxter is already there for the same $$$.

My wife doesn't have too many issues with a low car for entry, she drives a modified Subaru Liberty GT ( with hand controls  :)  )   

thanks Chris.    Have a look on my facebook.  Lots of pic's there  :)

Violet is a 1973 1.7.   Still running injection etc.

Came to Oz in 1999. Converted to RHD, and had a re-spray etc then.   

Sorry Chris,  I thought I had an album  for Violet in there.

Looks like its just photo's spread out in my timeline etc

I just threw this one together,  will put more in it later tonight after taekwondo

https://www.facebook.com/dalealford69/media_set?set=a.10154208855384253.1073741843.736264252&type=3&uploaded=31

Cheers

Dale 

All the best with your health Dale

What about a 924, 944 or a 928? I never owned a water cooled early Porsche but I assume all of them will have better back seat area than a 911

Also they come in Auto

And within your $30k budget too

All the very best with your health.

+1 on considering an earlier transaxle.  I recently purchased a 928 an it's an awesome car and the auto suits it perfectly.  The rear seats are a bit more spacious than my 3.2 Carrera as well.

+ the earlier transaxle is likely to appreciate if you found one in good condition, compared to a Boxter which is heading the other direction.

+1 to both of the above. A 928 sounds perfect for your needs. I have tried to fit into the back of my 928, but alas 6'1" does not fit, but I have it on reputable advice that an adult will fit in there, just one shorter than me :)

Good fortunes with your health also.

The 924, 944 and 928 family of Porsches all require good mobility. To get out requires a hand on the sill - and you sort of fall out , to get in requires some twisting of legs. arm and back. A contemporary 911 feels like getting in and out of an English taxi by comparison.
The 928 has reasonably room/comfort for a child or small adult for up to an hour.

Hi,

As above, all the best with the health side of things..

My 15YO daughter easily fits in the back of my 996 - she sort of sits with her knees pointing to the centre - she says its comfortable, but suggests a trip of distance might be an issue..  So long as she has her 'device' in her hands, she'll sit anywhere, similar to most kids nowadays I'd imagine.  But really, for a 12YO the back seat won't be an issue until he starts the real growing spurt.  Also, there is a fair bit of back/forward travel in the 996 seats..

All the best with your health Dale

What about a 924, 944 or a 928? I never owned a water cooled early Porsche but I assume all of them will have better back seat area than a 911

Also they come in Auto

And within your $30k budget too

Hi ,

Yes,  928's are something I have looked at,  968's too !!

The first Porsche I was ever a passenger in was actually an early 928.  It made an impact  :)

And value wise,  yes they do seem a good prospect.

My only concern is I would have to make a prudent purchase to make sure I had something that would hold or appreciate in value if possible.

Im thinking very soon ill be hounding you guys with questions 

Cheers

Dale

The 924, 944 and 928 family of Porsches all require good mobility. To get out requires a hand on the sill - and you sort of fall out , to get in requires some twisting of legs. arm and back. A contemporary 911 feels like getting in and out of an English taxi by comparison.
The 928 has reasonably room/comfort for a child or small adult for up to an hour.

Thanks for the tip.

The teener is the same , especially as my bum sits about 4 inches off the ground I reckon.

Might have to find one somewhere and see how my wife goes getting in and out.

Not a huge deal though,  it wont be very often,  and I can assist her.

Thanks  :)

Hi,

As above, all the best with the health side of things..

My 15YO daughter easily fits in the back of my 996 - she sort of sits with her knees pointing to the centre - she says its comfortable, but suggests a trip of distance might be an issue..  So long as she has her 'device' in her hands, she'll sit anywhere, similar to most kids nowadays I'd imagine.  But really, for a 12YO the back seat won't be an issue until he starts the real growing spurt.  Also, there is a fair bit of back/forward travel in the 996 seats..

thanks.   Thinking I might take the family for an outing to a couple of dealerships  soon for a sit test  :)

Nicholas always has a 'device' with him......

Archived