Let The Journey Finally Begin . SC Upgrades & Fixer Upper-grades

Steve88

Paid a visit to the little red machine today and caught up with Darren over a coffee at Autocoupe . Engine is out and there were sadly (:lol::lol: ) no surprises !

E087465E-4138-43F5-95A6-3AD198512A77_zps

We will be changing the injectors and the oil sender gauge parts . Also a general tidy up with heater hoses , clamps  , some spray paint and all the nice little bits that after 36 don't look too crash hot. Cant actually wait to see the RamsHorn headers go on as the original headers look like the last lass left in the bar at a busy port .  

21DF5D56-6096-42F5-8B79-EAD723A82A81_zps

The transmission was as Darren suspected . A well bent gear selector rod . I didn`t take a photo as it would be impossible to capture the warp in it . But believe me it was there. It was also really good to see all the trans gears , syncro`s and plates out . All in all its in fantastic condition , which wasn't too much of a surprise as the entire car is in great nick . The small bits again over time that have wear and tear will be replaced , cleaned and all rebuilt .

8AD5434C-71BE-4394-B7F5-31A78E6B2CCD_zps

Shocks have also been sent of to be re-valved and resto`d . It seems in a week a fair bits already taking place so pretty pumped to see what happens next . The AC compressor has been removed which honestly weighted a tonne . I`m looking to getting back in touch with Autohaus about a few parts for my AC to see if I can swing it .Hopefully they can help and may even have some dishes they need washed in exchange for a new compressor ! I did give up on the idea but I budgeted for new clutch and flywheel which was not needed so I will try and allocate these funds to the AC . Fingers crossed this all works out for me. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stopped by Autocoupe to see Darren and the SC this morning . Everything is coming along really nicely . 

The Wevo shifter with new PSJ is in . First of the Rennline pedal components have been fitted . 

30B77363-8BED-4670-A2E4-61C7E6644725_zps

A49C3BCE-E5BD-4E56-9341-5F5745D8D128_zps

The tail is off . To my surprise it really did weigh a heap . So hopefully this removal will add some go and even the weight out a bit.Darren was also able to remove an additional compressor and other heavy components that won't be needed anymore. I would say at this point with the removal of stuff off the rear it would have to be close to 20 something kgs . 

F37424B8-F575-4B52-A08B-540CEE419890_zps

Next up will be removing the front and rear glass as I think Tuesday sees the new headlining go in and the dash removal to be recovered too . 

I have decided to get a price on trimming the centre dash surround in tan to match the seats and door cars . As per the photo 

1039D698-1FFD-4B08-9B2A-CCE105062193_zps  

I have seen it on a  few cars recently and really like how it ties the two colours together . Will also be getting quoted up on a nice tapered shift boot . 

Have also ordered new of fog light lenses in Yellow (Bosch) . I really like how these look on period cars . Similar to these as this is the same style as mine which are sunk into the lip 

BB0FB1F3-0C42-4C08-B5AA-C5EA45216C69_zps

They were not cheap ! Also have some more Rennline pieces of the puzzle coming just to finish off what I have started B)

Hopefully I will stop adding more things onto my list ( Doubt it ) 

Sports seats found ! Getting quoted up now to get them re-trimmed in Tan .

2CE2D4AA-5624-4D3F-AE88-19C09EC97C07_zps

Sadly due to the piping I won't be able to get them tanned as this was a cheaper option 

Also booked in to fix the extra holes from the tail and re-spray the engine lid . Paint & Custom in Preston will be doing it for me. They have a very good reputation so hopefully that shows in the work , fingers crossed. 

AC parts from Autohaus have been ordered so AC will be happening . This was a real stretch but due to the time lines of a few things ( head liner , paint , headers ) I have been able to stretch a little more . Might also think of joining Uber and driving on the weekends to pay for all my little add ons . B)

Dropped past Autocoupe to pick up a rear cushion to provide the trimmer for my sports seats yesterday and had a real good poke around at the car . Front , rear and rear quarter glass it out  . Happy to hear the glass was cut out with great success so no need to replace the screen.

0F58460E-B0F3-4990-BD1B-24CD055F6CE5_zps

3A097748-5093-4965-8778-47EFB95C57C8_zps

Cant help but feel I would be in good stead to make it a light weight at the minute with all the guts out and the amount of Kg`s that have come off the back currently #becauseracecar ? Anyone ? :lol::lol:

It goes off to P&C for rear paint on Monday which is exciting and upon its return will have the new headliner put in along with a new dash pad , centre console trim and narrow shift boot to jazz up the interior . My dash pad upon inspection actually had a broken stud which caused it to sit a little bit " How Ya Goin" so Darren has been able to source a replacement to be sent off for injection moulding .

I was also informed by the trimmer ( Tim from SSTrimming ) that there is also a difference in the original perforated headliner that was used by Porsche ( well the style of perforations ) as to what was in my car . So when the new one goes in it will be what Porsche used way back when . 

Its always a pleasure dropping by Autocoupe . My little SC is always surrounded by positive influences !

7BBC4BB6-69FC-4C62-94B7-3812F688210E_zps

AC parts are on the way from Autohaus Hamilton . Scott was really good and explained which parts I needed and which parts ultimately I shouldn't live without  . I  went for the following :

Rear wheel condenser with 12 inch fan

Parallell flow main engine lid condenser ( this is meant to be very impressive compared to factory )

3 Speed blower motor with larger fan and base plate

Serpentine type evaporator core with TX valve

Compressor with adapter plate 

Conti V Belt . 

Darren from Autocoupe will be fitting the system and constructing all the lines I require . 

The last of my Rennline stuff arrived . I went for the smugglers box cover , blower cover , gear linkage cover I will mount onto of carpet , kill switch , kill switch mount and all associated cables . Really looking forward to jazzing up the frunk with these parts .  

9FD4C86D-4104-4036-8037-48239540B20B_zps

Got quoted to recover my new sports seats to match my current interior . Even with semi mates rates it will be an expensive venture to say the least .Had I not of done the AC I would just pull the trigger on this but currently they are sitting in my study where I imagine they will be for a while as I'm more over budget than a build on Grand designs !

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update guys of where I`am at the minute . 

Gear box has been completely rebuild with new syncro`s , sleeves and everything else that goes with it . Wevo is in with new PSJ

Gearbox selector shaft was sent off and engineered to run straight to 1000th/1mm I think or something precise like that

Car has gone to P&C for engine lid repairs to fill in wing holes and respray the rear lid . Should be back next week at some point

Valve adjustment was done , along with all other associated engine stuff to do whilst there like injectors ect..

Seats are at trimmers being recovered at the moment and should have them back in two weeks or so. 

Darren has been able to get me a set of headers so pretty pumped to see how these look and sound . I did see the dyno sheet which is like me reading Mandarin but from what I could understand the party is on between 2.5-4k RPM and this also sees a decent pick up in torque in this rev range too. Exciting times. 

Work that is left to be done:

Electrical upgrades : headlights , fog lights , interior lights

Roof liner and console trim 

Glass : Refit and apply new seals all round

Headers : Rams horn style and also finally fit my Bisimoto Pulse Chamber pipe !

Shocks : I have had mine re-valved so these will be refitted and the stance of the car taken down a touch in the rear too

Torsion Bars : I went for turbo torsion bars at the rear and we may look at doing the front after I drive it but I already have a sway bar in the frunk so time will tell

AC : As mentioned previously I have ordered the AC system from Scott @ Autohaus. So when this arrives it will be installed . Darren is going to construct all the required lines and have it re-gassed and ready to go . This is a part of the rebuild I was not going to do but pulled the trigger on at the last minute . Fingers crossed its cold !

Then after this it will be time to put the car back together and thats all hopefully . 

I`m looking into a new type of air box at the minute as I hear they let the flow of air in more freely and also improve induction noise .

Very happy with the progress and everything seems to be working out well for my little SC . Most definatly there are things I would like to tackle and upgrade but financially this project is running really thin . In saying so the car has been improved mechanically beyond comparison  , functionally  , cosmetically and a lot in practicality department. 

Steve

So one of these is on the way  as per my other thread it was a battle between this and the Fabspeed one 

The facts are they are both better than factory as they both have a significant increase in air flow 

The ugly crazy one below has a proven more aggressive induction tone 

They are both plastic composite and this crazy ugly one did not have heaps of reviews of people being disappointed after buying it and paying  a significant amount more because it was produced by Fabspeed  

AA855E77-0BC1-4B3E-A893-15DCB2AAECCC_zps

Time will tell 

They are both plastic composite and this crazy ugly one...

Crazy ugly is an understatement.

But I guess you don't look at the airbox when you're planting the throttle.

I think the stock air box is ugly - I don't hate the silver one you've got.  It looks perhaps a little 80s Japanese but is not worse than stock.  At least You didn't lop the end off or gut the stock one.

Had BMC on my 996 and to be truthful, I didn't notice any improvement nor degradation either for that matter. It's meant to flow better, but have no idea with the air cooled. 

I still have the filter, however needs a service to put it back on, for now, the paper is fine ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys Its been a mental few weeks at work so I haven't had much time to put into the car . But I did get my freshly trimmed sports seats back from the Motor trimmer . 

A12B3447-EC08-4EC7-9CB1-FAA9D5A4FD3D_zps

Very happy with the result . The leather colour is a perfect match and the leather is  actually made in Italy too which is quite different these days . 
Darren has received the AC components from Autohaus which is a very impressive piece of kit . He was also able to test fit my rear decklid grill . 

A1983EAB-5B10-4A0B-A858-A4E0D49B456E_zps

I love the look of it but , just not for my car . Its too aggressive / custom / racer for my stock standard SC . So I will be packing this one up and putting it up for sale with all the pieces . If i had a more street style looking car it would definately be a keeper.

Engine and trans are ready to go back in now so will keep you updated on what happens over the next few weeks . At this stage i predict about 5 weeks until completion !

5532F934-8482-4DCE-9296-5456B524685F_zps

Steve

Good work Steve!

Would you mind posting some photos of your AC bits, particularly your wheel well condenser  please?

Thanks!

hey Peter when I head back in I'll try to get a photo. I did have a peek at it but it was very dark. Looked decent. Will try to get a snap Friday if I drop in 

Archived