Let The Journey Finally Begin . SC Upgrades & Fixer Upper-grades

Steve88

I have finally gotten around to getting myself and my finances organised enough that I can finally book in the SC ( 1980 ) for the TLC it deserves. 

82A862E7-2211-4663-BDD6-9CCB30129228_zps

It will be a fun one. I have also been collecting a few bits and pieces to add on, which has amongst " whilst I'm doing this " has cost me more than I had imagined. 

I will be tackling the transmission as its currently running a bent gear selector rod and transmission leak upgrade that I will be reverting back to factory original (Full transmission rebuild) 

Whilst there I will also be upgrading my shifter to a WEVO and a new PSJ.

Looking forward to this the most, as things can only get better from where it is now.  Possibly new fly wheel and clutch if upon inspection is required.

I will also be putting in a set of new headers and seen above is a new Bisimoto Pulse Chamber Exhaust. Together this should give me more bottom end pick me up and a nice little rumble.

Currently looking at pulling the trigger on the last part, which would be new suspension bushes from either Rennline or ER.  If the shocks need to be replaced I will put Bilstein Sports up front & back. When it`s done it will be sent off from an alignment and corner balance. 

The electrical`s  are a dogs breakfast at the moment as the car was originally fitted post delivery with 7 immobiliser`s, 4 alarms and a 24 disc stacker. After that weight reduction took place the rest of the car was able to get some power but still required a bit attention. This will include getting more power to the headlights, fixing all interior lighting, fix fog lights, flash to pass, fix oil sender gauge, seat switches and wire in the stereo and speakers. 

I was informed that to re-do the headliner the windscreen and other glass needs to come out. So whilst I get the headliner re-done ill get the windscreen changed too. The windscreen currently has a few speed holes and instead of just replacing the seal I will put in a new screen and start fresh. I will also be getting the dash sent off to be recovered. The dash pad was a sore point off the car and never fit correctly and looked like German Soufflé.

The door cards also have a second set of holes for a second set of full size speakers (weird). The originally owner patched this up in a less than fantastic way so I will also have the door cards cleaned up.

26C3A5E8-AB76-4036-928C-574441F78201_zps

I have purchased a pair of speakers that allow the tweeters to be mounted into the speaker centers, meaning less holes and less mess. Also from PCM I got a new revision mirror and bracket and sun visors. That was an OUCH purchase! 

IMG_9848_zpsjw1apj3f.jpg

You can't really see in the photo above but I've ordered some Rennline interior parts too. I picked black aluminum and went with black billet door knobs, handbrake lever, door pins, key hole surround, perforated door handles, adjustable pedal set, track mats, passenger and driver floor boards and gear knob. Pretty much anything that you would touch has been upgraded to.

My car has a tail that was not factory fitted but put into the car at a later stage from a Porsche Centre in the 80`s so this will be coming off and the car will be returning to its original state sans-tail.

2E56F796-D5D8-432A-BDB0-8AB898F40E15_zps

I have gone with a different style of rear grill and will post a photo when it arrives. I think it looks pretty cool and I can easily order an OEM one if ever required.

decklid_zpsdrf97xg1.jpg

Also for the engine deck lid I have an original 911SC badge that will be going on as I have just peeled off a Carrera badge that was fitted along with the tail 30 years ago. 

I have just picked up a new set of Fuch replicas in OEM size (16`s 7 & 8). I had wanted to refurbish my original wheels but being 16`s the pool of people to do this work is small and comes with a hefty price tag so I gave up on the idea and will just store them for the time being. 

I plan to ask Darren to lower the stance off the car ever so slightly as I believe by dropping it ever so slightly will really change the profile of the car in a drastic way .

Sadly the only thing I have had to let go on is the AC . I really wanted to do the AC and was pegged to purchase the new system from Autohaus but finances and other commitments say no . I will re-visit at a later stage but whilst there will get Darren to wire and plumb everything up to save time and hassal in the future for when I can purchase the new system ( which sounds amazing ) . 

Will keep this updated . The car will be going into AutoCoupe in Eltham . Darren has been very helpful over the course of me planning this little adventure out and throughout my ownership regards

Steve

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa, I love the bulk update. This must have been fun to plan and accumulate parts (although costly no doubt). 

Really looking forward to watching this unfold and hearing about the improvements.

I take my 964 to Darren also (as do many others here) and couldn't say a bad word about him or Auto Coupe, you are are in good hands. 

Oh, and if you still have the car, post up more pics of the interior in it's current state. Will be good to see the door cars and dash, etc in it's current state (also general interior shots, etc). 

Yeah just orders all the required bushings from Rennline today .Thats all I need for the moment but so sure there will be some things I have missed . Really can't wait . Dropping it off next week and work to start on the Monday !!

Hey guys I have been lucky enough to source some old school period Recaro`s from another memberB).

These are very comfy and look very 80`s . One is in great nick the other not so with a torn base and foam that needs to be replaced . I plan to have these re-trimmed with an original type of material ( pattern ) in the centre and tan material on the outer .

They also have adjustable height rails . if the lowest isn't low enough for me I'm not too sure what I will do but will have to just wait and see . 

DDC9C430-4310-4B6C-B5A6-DBE70FCB0CD2_zps

If anyone has any old Recaro gradient material or know where I may be able to get enough to re-trim the front seats please let me know . 

Or recommendation for trimmers in Melbournes north that won't cost me too much to get them re-done . I will be able to provide centre material and new foam base also .

Regards

Steve

Last deliveries of the day yesterday . My X-Faktory deck lid grill arrived along with my Rennline bushings . They also included a 40kg puppy :lol::lol:

38A624F5-5B57-493B-8540-7601FA9CD6C8_zps

Very good timing as the car goes in this morning . 

The Recaro seats will have to wait in the garage for a little longer as I prefer to spend $$ on mechanical whilst its at Autocoupe .

The dream for the Recaros would be this 

REcaro_zpsakpyo8k7.jpg

I have found the material and can source the net head rests but its quickly became an expensive venture and ideally a set of factory sports seats for a little bit extra may be a wiser decision . This is actually all due to Recaro not having any graduate ( gradient ) material . Its pretty much like they used it for all seats since the dawn of time and burnt the leftovers . 

Those Recaro's are my favourite!  Good choice Sir!S

Hi Lee X-Faktory Is the company. Pretty cool guy and has a few different options. They are made to order. This took about 2 weeks to arrive from when the order is placed. very quick. I'll do an update when it's fitted. A bit of work for me ahead as the whale tale had extra holes so that needs to be repaired too 

Well, it's clearly the playing cards then!

399814001_detail.jpg?1445896931

That's funny. Was looking at something similar 

56A8BD89-2D84-424D-AD58-DE00DF4378BE_zps

Last deliveries of the day yesterday . My X-Faktory deck lid grill arrived along with my Rennline bushings . They also included a 40kg puppy :lol::lol:

38A624F5-5B57-493B-8540-7601FA9CD6C8_zps

Very good timing as the car goes in this morning . 

The Recaro seats will have to wait in the garage for a little longer as I prefer to spend $$ on mechanical whilst its at Autocoupe .

The dream for the Recaros would be this 

REcaro_zpsakpyo8k7.jpg

I have found the material and can source the net head rests but its quickly became an expensive venture and ideally a set of factory sports seats for a little bit extra may be a wiser decision . This is actually all due to Recaro not having any graduate ( gradient ) material . Its pretty much like they used it for all seats since the dawn of time and burnt the leftovers . 

did you see this material?

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/182187052633

did you see this material?

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/182187052633

Yes Ive been in contact with the guy . Very helpful . I can also source it straight from USA as i have found a supplier . I think i need to just bite the bullit and buy it . 

Cant decided which colour to choose .Red is sadly NOT available through any channels . I can go Beige /  Brown / Camel . Or Black / Grey / White . I feel as though the black has more visual impact but my interior is tan and black 

Here is an image of the Brown Carrera fabric 

3C5DD9CB-B25E-4FD0-B8C7-49A62790D3CC_zps

b96745bb-477b-4f14-a1ba-b50bc8a9fff5_zps

I feel if I get these seats recovered at some point I would like them in black and maybe the White / Black / Grey Centres would love the goods. Thoughts ?

hard to say on the brown inserts without seeing the rest of the interior and the difference in shade.  What I would say is to consider doing the rear seats as well if you are going to and want a nice interior.  I think cars always look a little weird if the front/rear seats don't even try to match.

If you are considering an interior colour swap, now is the time.

Order the black carpets, your seats will be black (with grey Carrera inserts), black RS door cards and then have all other trim pieces (parcel shelf, door tops, etc), colour changed by Bill at BM Leather Creations in Cremorne. 

Archived