I still think he might has gotten $5k more for the red S2 if he'd priced it at that, might have taken longer to sell though, maybe a even as much as 48 hours..... :) 

It's hard to know where the market actually lies, as there's a lot of fancy asking prices, much less actual selling. When was the last S2 that actually sold on carsales, and how much were they asking? I can't remember now...

I think the Central Coast NSW was the last on carsales, someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think it had $17k on it or there abouts. JasonE just missed it.......kind of

That would have been before I joined the forum in Nov, and started keeping track of 944 prices, so it's been a while.

Thin market...

What sort of condition was it in for $17K? Do you recall?

The last decent 944 I saw sold was the Mittagong 1988 na, that was a nice car, sold quickly at around $15K IIRC. So $15K for a NA, $29K for a S2, fairly consistent pricing there, I would think.

As I say, there's a difference between asking an arbitrary price and actually selling...

But I must admit I'm still finding it hard to get a handle on where things actually lie, even after watching the market for the last couple of months.

Someone on the forum got it and a couple of months ago offered it to any forum members for 27k if i recall correctly, from what i heard it was a pretty good example.

The market is hard to judge with not too many very good examples around to guage prices against. I've gone in and out of watching the market several times since I got my car in May, I'm just keeping track of the above average cars now.

There was also a very, very tidy '90 turbo for sale in QLD that had 45k on it but wouldn't know what the actual sale price was, it was well worth the money from what I saw.

Someone on the forum got it and a couple of months ago offered it to any forum members for 27k if i recall correctly, from what i heard it was a pretty good example.

Cheeky -- did anyone bite?

The market is hard to judge with not too many very good examples around to guage prices against. I've gone in and out of watching the market several times since I got my car in May, I'm just keeping track of the above average cars now.

Yes, my feeling is the main characteristic of the market over the last few months has been the overall poor quality of the examples on offer. How many auto early model 944 NAs are there out there anyway? Sheesh.

It makes me wonder if the nice ones that only last for a day are being sold primarily because of price, or because there is such a dearth of nice examples available at any price!

There was also a very, very tidy '90 turbo for sale in QLD that had 45k on it but wouldn't know what the actual sale price was, it was well worth the money from what I saw.

Sounds like a peach. Was that on carsales, or advertised elsewhere?

Edited by Plugger2

Cheeky -- did anyone bite?

Not to my knowledge, I believe it is still held by the purchasing member here.  Sold for 16k late last year off a carsales add.  Car was located in Gosford.  Very tidy, I have seen quite a few photos that the purchasing member sent me.

@Jason E the Gosford S2 any recollection whether the car had spent a lot of time in Canberra?

as for the 89/90 yr turbo listed for 45k, was IMO a cost effective buy suspect it was comparable or close to @TINGY944 's turbo low Km car 3 owners etc 

Edited by michel

@Jason E the Gosford S2 any recollection whether the car had spent a lot of time in Canberra?

as for the 89/90 yr turbo listed for 45k, was IMO a cost effective buy suspect it was comparable or close to @TINGY944 's turbo low Km car 3 owners etc 

Hi Michel,

Possibly however I think not.  The previous owner had the car for a number of years (not sure how many but I feel like it was a considerable period based on our couple of conversations).  Bruce Buchanan knows the car & did a little work on it when the task was beyond the owners skills.

If the S2 coupe just sold for $29k and yours is in same condition a bit less than that?

I'm thinking of re-advertising my 91 944 S2 Manual Cabriolet for sale.  Any thoughts of what I should ask for it. It's Cobalt Blue as in my profile picture. 

I'm thinking of re-advertising my 91 944 S2 Manual Cabriolet for sale.  Any thoughts of what I should ask for it. It's Cobalt Blue as in my profile picture. 

What is the condition and mileage of your car compared to similar vehicles that have sold relatively recently? What price did you have it advertised at before when it didn't sell? What was the response? Do you want to sell quickly, or do you want to hang out for the top price? etc. etc.

Obviously impossible to give a sensible opinion without the basic information. That's why you haven't got any sensible opinions.

The other question to ask yourself is "what amount would I let the car go for?" That's independent of where the market may or may not be at the moment. If you think you can get more than that number in the current market, fine and good: Ask what you think the market will be prepared to pay. OTOH, if you think the market hasn't quite got there yet, you can ask your number anyway, but be prepared to cop the opprobrium and taunts of complete strangers discussing your car on forum like these! (But who knows, you might just get your price anyway.)

Edited by Plugger2

Thanks to all those who have responded. I believe my S2 is in similar condition to the one that just sold. I had listed it for $33k previously to give myself negotiating room. But I believe the market was not at that point then. My position has not changed so I'll probably relist it at the same price. Mileage is about 240k. Its all sorted and doesn't drip a single drop of oil. I always thought that being a cabriolet and so few of them being built it would be somewhat desirable. The colour too being only a 1991 option year colour. Afterall how many cabs turn up at car shows. I have not seen a single one in the 3 years I have had mine and definitely not any before then too.