Maroon 944 just marked as sold & removed from carsales - that didn't take long.  I may have to eat my words..........

Yeah probably a few of us Jason, got to admit it was very, very tidy though, i wonder what it actually sold for, I'm thinking pretty close to asking price.

Maybe a family of German car lovers, a bimmer out front and a Merc in the drive and a Porsche the icing on the cake.:D

1990 Porsche 944 S2 Manual

Has anyone on here looked at any of these cars and can give a drive/condition report, or actually know the car, PM if you don't want to public post or roast them.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1990/SSE-AD-4691916/?Cr=6

Hi Stephen, MB & Jason are correct, it's my car and only selling after I purchased my perfect S2 for substantially more than the silver one.

I have listed the car for what I paid for it plus the $5k I spent on it straight after purchasing (new steering rack, engine mounts, battery and overall scheduled service were the major items with various other small jobs), it doesn't take long to chew up Porsche dollars.  The unmodified power produced by this S2 is exceptional, I thought it may have been chipped at first but it's standard.  It steps up to another level over 3500rpm.  A recent compression test showed the engine is in VERY GOOD condition.

I've had several calls and good interest on carsales but the one inspection was a serial tyre kicker (still early days).  Maybe the cold weather in Melb is keeping people in doors.  No hurry as I'm enjoying having to decide which car I'll go for a drive in.

Yeah probably a few of us Jason, got to admit it was very, very tidy though, i wonder what it actually sold for, I'm thinking pretty close to asking price.

Maybe a family of German car lovers, a bimmer out front and a Merc in the drive and a Porsche the icing on the cake.:D

Kinda funny this "sellin cars" thing isn't it?.  You feel like you get a feel for a certain market.  You watch it.  You study it.  You obsess over it.  You analyse it, over analyse, do spread sheets etc etc & then something like this happens.

Tingy we were only having this conversation yesterday, discussing how the market (for S2's specifically) had seemed to have cooled slightly as had the broader 944 market at the med/ higher end for perhaps the more sought after models & how this car with it's eclectic colour scheme (that might not appeal to all) was probably well over priced, only for it to have sold in 24hrs.  

You just need that one buyer who at the right time sees your car & it fulfills their wish list AND they have the money in their pocket AND the desire to part with it & there you go.  No weeks (& God forbid) months of tyre kickers & dreamers & slowly dropping your price hopping to lure that buyer to part with his kids college fund.

The cost of a car is generally a normal persons second biggest purchase & not many people can generally afford to have it sit for long, long amounts of time to lure that one big fish with piles of cash & the desire to fling it.

I don't know what sucks more.  Being a buyer trying to find the car you want only to keep missing out for any number of reasons or being a seller wanting to get top dollar in a market that seems to fluctuate more than a Dalby girls undies.  Based on this sale I am putting my car up for sale at 67k.  I think it's generous amount of "patina" & undeniable sense of danger & intrigue should get me my ask in this brave new market.  Expressions of Interest currently being excepted................. offers above 68.5 now thanks (and rising).

1Stepo911 i haven't been following the market too closely lately but was wondering why it hadn't sold, it looks great in the pictures.

Jason based on the sale of the maroon S2 maybe i will put EOI on my turbo as well, any offers?

1Stepo911 i haven't been following the market too closely lately but was wondering why it hadn't sold, it looks great in the pictures.

Jason based on the sale of the maroon S2 maybe i will put EOI on my turbo as well, any offers?

A tempting as any offer may be, I can guarantee that if you sold it, it will be the one big regret you live with for the rest of time ....

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4729822?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA

Wow, almost nothing to do.............(said sarcastically).

It's funny now that I have at least some idea of the time/cost/complexity/scarcity/freight/ etc etc involved in "just doing a few things" I read adds & immediately start tallying the costs of "the few minor things" that need attention.  More & more I find myself saying "yeah right mate!!!".

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4729822?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA

It's funny now that I have at least some idea of the time/cost/complexity/scarcity/freight/ etc etc involved in "just doing a few things" I read adds & immediately start tallying the costs of "the few minor things" that need attention.  More & more I find myself saying "yeah right mate!!!".

i saw that.. can't believe he's asking that much for an auto that needs that much work!

Priced accordingly given the work that needs to be done.......the slope can be very slippery.

I can't really understand why autos were offered in these years, sure the new current models are quicker taking the human error out, but 20-30 year old cars, I suppose it was an intent to appeal to a broader audience :blink:

Priced accordingly given the work that needs to be done.......the slope can be very slippery.

I can't really understand why autos were offered in these years, sure the new current models are quicker taking the human error out, but 20-30 year old cars, I suppose it was an intent to appeal to a broader audience :blink:

I dunno Step I thought he was a tad optimistic.  You are right when you say it's a slippery slope (ask me how I know).  If you are bloody handy & can do lots yourself maybe.

I could be wrong but I think (with my limited knowledge) the autos were developed primarily as a bone thrown to the American market as the "broader market" preferred a self shifter.  I suppose a few made their way over here.  I have driven 2 auto 968s & they are no slouches however the manuals are just a whole other thing.  

As per a previous post i got hold of a 89 S2 today, they are out there gents, just to got find where they are hiding, got it just before it went to the market place.

Feel pretty lucky really, this is the second in 12 months i have got this way.

Lucky bugger, well done. 

As per a previous post i got hold of a 89 S2 today, they are out there gents, just to got find where they are hiding, got it just before it went to the market place.

Feel pretty lucky really, this is the second in 12 months i have got this way.

Km's, condition? Pic? 

The unmodified power produced by this S2 is exceptional, I thought it may have been chipped at first but it's standard.  It steps up to another level over 3500rpm.  A recent compression test showed the engine is in VERY GOOD condition.

I drove the S2 again today and i have to agree with Stepo, the power these cars produce is pretty damn good. I am so impressed with the driveability of these 3.0 ltr engines.

In my turbo there is no chance of me slipping in to 5th gear in a 70k zone, in the S2 no problem, roundabout in 4th no problem either (disclaimer, i forgot to change gears), lots of torque in the 3.0ltr engine.

For anyone thinking about an S2, do it, you won't regret it they are a great little driver.

I took a punt on this car no PPI, some of them are not worth the paper they are written on anyway as we have seen around these parts lately, hopefully i won't have any major issues.

I drove the S2 again today and i have to agree with Stepo, the power these cars produce is pretty damn good. I am so impressed with the driveability of these 3.0 ltr engines.

In my turbo there is no chance of me slipping in to 5th gear in a 70k zone, in the S2 no problem, roundabout in 4th no problem either (disclaimer, i forgot to change gears), lots of torque in the 3.0ltr engine.

For anyone thinking about an S2, do it, you won't regret it they are a great little driver.

These 3.0L cars are punching above their weight for their era.  I'm lucky enough to have a 3.2 AC car and the S2 would give it a good run for its money.  Consider the S2 is a quarter the price of the AC car, they are great bang for the buck.  In my opinion, the 944 is a great combination of 80's power and looks.

Have driven several 944 Turbo's and those versus my 91 S2, I'd pick my S2. Much more user friendly, more torque in the useable range, great for city driving, and a beautiful exhaust note. I'd take the S2 every time. Looks really cool too.

Congratulations Tingy your S2 looks great mate and yeah they really live up to their hype. Useable, tractable, great fun. I do love the push of a turbo as well though, I really like both cars. 

When I hadn't owned it very long mine was a bit sluggish doing the stop start in the line to exit the kids school one day, then when I cleared the traffic I realised I'd been in 3rd instead of first... The car did it fine it just wasn't as crisp as first. The torque of these cars is just brilliant. Imagine it with a supercharger :) 

I took a punt on this car no PPI, some of them are not worth the paper they are written on anyway as we have seen around these parts lately, hopefully i won't have any major issues.

yep, the S2 is unbelievable value for money. I had only owned 911's before buying my  S2, sight unseen, no PPI, never even driven a 944. Turned out to be a great move, so impressed. ?

1990 944T in Carsales this morning Oz delivered 208K QLD $45,900.  Loks to be a nice car.  No affiliation...

Sold last week, first looker purchased - yes, it took 2 months for someone to come and look at it.  (Not my car, BTW)

cp5219641664063165252.jpg?width=294&heig

968 white manual for sale in Syd, $45k http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=31175967&trecs=6&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__sid=15B82E8CEF1B&__Nne=15&__Qpb=1&seot=1&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294963710 4294963765&silo=1011 

Apparently the engine is non-matching, but only 135000km on the clock, something must have gone wrong in a big way :huh:.

For an extra fee, you can buy the original engine :blink:

968 white manual for sale in Syd, $45k http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?Cr=0&R=31175967&trecs=6&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__sid=15B82E8CEF1B&__Nne=15&__Qpb=1&seot=1&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294963710 4294963765&silo=1011 

Apparently the engine is non-matching, but only 135000km on the clock, something must have gone wrong in a big way :huh:.

For an extra fee, you can buy the original engine :blink:

Isthat the CTS one that turned out to be dodgy?

Isthat the CTS one that turned out to be dodgy?

I had a quick look at the photos (on my phone) and it didn't seem to be the same car (didn't look as good as the CTS photos) however it seems a bit coincidental for it to be a different car.