Ultimate 901 build.

edgy

Nearly a year later, my passing thoughts materialise into what is probably not going to be good for my health, but none of my habits are so that is ok. 

I am the idiot who ended up buying @turboT's first 912 a few months back. 

2E61EFFF-1A57-471F-8AE1-9C8677609C72_zps

Tom's got plans to leave the outlaw polo car in the us till next Luft, so I am working on getting my 1967 912 from polo, out here to Aussie land in the coming months (we were going to ship them both together). 

So, since the last year or so I have been actively racing the GT3 at every chance I get, and enjoying the hell out that, I have really lost the desire to build a fast 901.. I am convinced I'd be happy with just a relatively stock cruiser.

SO here I sit with a donor car and no idea what to do with it! :lol: One thought is to just follow on Matt Hummul's lead and put the bloody thing together and drive the wheels off it. 

Truthfully I will know what I am working with once it is here. 

Stick a 3.2 in it.  Simple installation, bulletproof motor, has many torques. 

It will be quick, but not so powerful that you need to redo every other system.

Come drive the Purpleness if you need more convincing.

Ps. Or a big type 4 motor.

I reckon you're on the right track mate. Buy that 912 engine that was/is advertised here for 10k, drop the thing on the ground and just drive it. No resto, no paint rectification, crap interior etc etc

Or fit a huge engine and scare yaself sh..less! Either way you're going to have fun

Stick a 3.2 in it.  Simple installation, bulletproof motor, has many torques. 

It will be quick, but not so powerful that you need to redo every other system.

Come drive the Purpleness if you need more convincing.

Ps. Or a big type 4 motor.

I might take you up on that, so lets catch up while were at it. 

What trans does is it run with the 3.2? 

Rob keeps telling me to man up and buy a Bergman 2.4 monster for it... 

I reckon you're on the right track mate. Buy that 912 engine that was/is advertised here for 10k, drop the thing on the ground and just drive it. No resto, no paint rectification, crap interior etc etc

Or fit a huge engine and scare yaself sh..less! Either way you're going to have fun

I was interested in that, still am a little, but I have just come back from a heavy 6 weeks travel schedule.. so currently I am just putting myself back together again. 

Really, I'd like to see what I am working with first before throwing any more $$ at it, as that will sway my decision on which way to go.. to be frank, I don't want to spend a bomb on it.

But I am loving all the suggestions 

I am thinking it is already a bit of a pig, so just go the suggested 3.2 route. I am worried that if you went back to stock, it may be a bit too sedate for you and you will get bored with it. 

Just chuck an engine in it and drive the wheels off it as a roughy. Don't get carried away, just have it as a fun weekend blaster.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying the 1720cc motor the other night, now the 912 shipping is also underway too. I'll hold off on starting a build thread, because it is really going to depend on what I find on its arrival (in terms of condition) as to how soon I will start on it, worse case is; I park it up and hoard parts until I have finished my renovation project.

In any case, I am looking forward to it!  Like @turboT's 912. It's going to be a 912P too, only in my case the P stands for Parts Bin. :D 

I ended up buying the 1720cc motor the other night, now the 912 shipping is also underway too. I'll hold off on starting a build thread, because it is really going to depend on what I find on its arrival (in terms of condition) as to how soon I will start on it, worse case is; I park it up and hoard parts until I have finished my renovation project.

In any case, I am looking forward to it!  Like @turboT's 912. It's going to be a 912P too, only in my case the P stands for Parts Bin. :D 

mmm....parts

floor pans would be a good start

bonus you can flog the 80's phone keypad on ebay :) 

Had serious regrets letting this go mate. I don't recon its going to be easy, but a cool journey non the less.  Cant wait to finally see my barn find

mmm....parts

floor pans would be a good start

bonus you can flog the 80's phone keypad on ebay :) 

Had serious regrets letting this go mate. I don't recon its going to be easy, but a cool journey non the less.  Cant wait to finally see my barn find

I don't do anything the easy way mate, I'm analog like that! And you know I can't wait for those Sunday drive meet ups on queen st with the twins!! ?

Archived