944/968 - auto to manual - complete daftness?

PomBstard

Supply of good manuals has dried up somewhat, and prices have hiked. Autos seem to hang around and are generally less-liked, so how crazy an idea is it to buy an auto/Tiptronic in good nick and then set about swapping it to a manual??? I'm thinking really of 968 Tips, but also perhaps a decent late 944. Dare I also say it, 928... - though that is a little further down the list.

I realise getting the parts might be tricky, and that its more than just a gearbox (clutch, flywheel, pedal box, instrumentation, other stuff I can't even imagine) but I'm sure they exist, so is this just a matter of cost, and if so, roughly how much? $5k? $10k?? $15k??? $Silly??

I also get that a swapped box will affect resale, but if I'm not selling for another 5 or so years, I might still recoup the cost. Just to be clear - I would only buy an auto if I thought it could be converted.

What say ye, those of more experience??

Is an auto 968 really going to be that bad?

I don't think so, I drove one recently and I liked it, unless you had money to burn I can't see why you would do it imo.

I can see where he is coming from. Particularly if you are looking at a non daily driver that you have for the pure joy of driving, it has to be manual. For me at least I just don't get that same feel from an auto. Daily driving in traffic is a different story though ;) .

If you're heart/ mind is saying 968 with manual trans , then stay with that first thought , I like them as well , thats why I still own my 1993  968 manual ( black with black ), but saying that , I really like the 944S2 as well ( I know same car in many ways ) but they are different enough , meaning each have traits that set each other apart 

The 968 Tip , really nice car for just driving around & great in stop / start traffic ( easy to live with ) , but the Tip ( Auto trans ) has its limitations as a sports car in things like  no LSD possible & the tiny size of the Tip diff & the limited repairability of the Tip trans ( same goes for the 964/993 tip as well ) is something to remember 

Where as the 968 "6 speed trans" is fully repairable ( you can get parts ) & the extra large size of the 968 manual trans diff centre ( G50 ) is very nice , meaning a 4 plate motorsport LSD ( Guards Trans ) is readily available , which in conjunction with a decent shocks /springs upgrade ( like one would do to a 951 / 944S2 ) turns the 968 into a fantastic sports car  

Then I have a great respect for the 951 and what one can do to the 951 that transforms it into a sports car that completely demolishes the 968 & 944S2 , be it as a road car & at the track & the way they transform into such a exciting last century supercar thats its hard to describe in writing ( these are the best buy of the lot in regards to potential )

As for transforming a 968 Tip into a manual trans , it would be an advantage to first buy a 968 manual ( cheap ) thats a wreck / write off  first ( this will be the donor car ) , then buy the 968 Tip & then strip both cars & assemble everything you need for the transfer + the huge list of new parts ( stuff thats worn out / bent / damaged from the cheap wreck ) & then spending days / weeks doing the transformation 
You will need an area that can accomodate two cars in bits ( lots of space ) and two hoists & lots of time and effort 

There are more things different between the manual trans & Tip ( auto ) than you could possibly imagine & the "cheap " donor wreck is essential to keep the costs in check with some form of sanity 

Regards

Bruce Buchanan
Buchanan Automotive

If you're heart/ mind is saying 968 with manual trans , then stay with that first thought , I like them as well , thats why I still own my 1993  968 manual ( black with black ), but saying that , I really like the 944S2 as well ( I know same car in many ways ) but they are different enough , meaning each have traits that set each other apart 

The 968 Tip , really nice car for just driving around & great in stop / start traffic ( easy to live with ) , but the Tip ( Auto trans ) has its limitations as a sports car in things like ( no LSD possible & the tiny size of the Tip diff & the limited repairability of the Tip trans ( same goes for the 964/993 tip as well ) is something to remember 

Where as the 968 6 speed trans is fully repairable ( you can get parts ) & the extra large size of the 968 manual trans diff centre ( G50 ) is very nice , meaning a 4 plate motorsport LSD ( Guards Trans ) is readily available , which in conjunction with a decent shocks /springs upgrade ( like one would do to a 951 / 944S2 ) turns the 968 into a fantastic sports car  

Then I have a great respect for the 951 and what one can do to the 951 that transforms it into a sports car that completely demolishes the 968 & 944S2 , be it as a road car & at the track & the way they transform into such a exciting last century supercar thats its hard to describe in writing ( these are the best buy of the lot in regards to potential )

As for transforming a 968 Tip into a manual trans , it would be an advantage to first buy a 968 manual ( cheap ) thats a wreck / write off  first ( this will be the donor car ) , then buy the 968 Tip & then strip both cars & assemble everything you need for the transfer + the huge list of new parts ( stuff thats worn out / bent / damaged from the cheap wreck ) & then spending days / weeks doing the transformation 
You will need an area that can accomodate two cars in bits ( lots of space ) and two hoists & lots of time and effort 
There are more things different between the manual trans & Tip ( auto ) than you could possibly imagine 

Regards

Bruce B

Thanks Bruce - that's the sort of response I was hoping to tease out. And clearly puts the idea in the Don't Be So Daft category. Had to ask it, though.

I can see where he is coming from. Particularly if you are looking at a non daily driver that you have for the pure joy of driving, it has to be manual. For me at least I just don't get that same feel from an auto. Daily driving in traffic is a different story though ;) .

Absolutely spot on. Changing gear manually is an intrinsic part of the fun of driving for me, no matter what the car or circumstance. No intention of having a 944/968 and not having a manual box.

• 5 weeks later...

I am lucky enough to have a 968 CS replica that started out as an auto converted with low Km manual drivetrain. I can't give you specifics on the conversion as the guy had to return overseas at short notice. He had most of the conversion done and I just had to finish it. That said as Bruce has indicated you would have to have donar cars as parts, they are not as readily available as an S2.

Having owned an S2 I would say there is really not a lot of difference in Performance between the two cars apart from about 30 HP and an extra gear, everything else is the same.

As too what the value of my car is, who knows ?????  But what a drive !!!

Archived