Tyres for 996 GT2

DJM

Heading into SMT season, I need a new set of boots.  Slimy Reefton Spur with sketchy tyres and 580hp is not conducive to a good day out.  Especially not with brave souls lining up for passenger rides.

What do people recommend.  Presumably Michelin pilot sport cup sport 2 pilot sport cup pilot something or other?  What's this N rating mumbo jumbo ?  Bamboozled by which is what.  Haven't googled it because I assume the PFA brains trust has the answers i seek.

Currently has R spec Hankooks on the rear and Yokos on the front down to wear bars.  PO reckons he fitted R specs because he couldn't get traction otherwise.  But I'd prefer a matching set of sticky road tyres.

Need 18s in 315/35 and 235/40 from memory.  

@hugh was Frankston Tyrepower where you went?

A050 are the best road legal tyre available for any GT Porsche, the issue is they're bloody dangerous in the rain on public roads. Pilot Sport Cup 2 is supposed to be excellent - they're the best all weather performance tyre Michelin makes and supposedly a lot better with wear and cold conditions than the old Cups were. The next step down from them is Pilot Super Sport. I'm having a set fitted to my A45 tomorrow, the super Sport is apparently extremely good for daily duties and the occasional track day. Lasts a lot longer than the Cup 2.

I assume you don't drive the GT2 that often so the Cup 2 would be a good choice. If you don't drive it in the rain then A050 softs all round, they're just noisy and not that great on a road only car.

N rating is just a criteria that Porsche puts on their tyres to label them as "up to Porsche OEM standards". Both Michelin PSC2 and PSS come as standard on various 911 models so you would be fine with either. The PSS is being replaced with Pilot Sport 4 but won't be available until next year.

FWIW, Targa Tas was won this year by a 991 GT3 wearing PSC2.

I run A050 on my RX7 track car and they are awesome but the GT2 has been retired from track duty so road use is all I  am looking for.

Michelins are probably the go, just so confusing with PS, PSS, PSC etc

PSC might still be a bit extreme for what I'm looking for so PSS could be the go.  Not normally wet weather driven but often on an SMT we're on damp shady sections of Tarmac.

PSS is your winner then I reckon. I'm pretty sure the 991 turbo is shod with them also. A mate recently sent me some graphs from testing PSS along with other brands in its category (P-Zero, Dunlop Sport Maxx, Goodyear Eagle F1 etc etc) and it absolutely murdered every other tyre in every single test.

What's good for the 991 Turbo is good for me I reckon.  Probably similar HP although it has AWD and TC/SC to assist whereas I'll be relying on right ankle with direct link to rear wheels only.  

I can definitely understand you wanting some good tyres for an often greasy reefton run! The Whole N thing just means that Porsche has tested and approved the tyre, a bit like BMW * marking. In terms of tyres for all round (but mostly dry) the Michelin pilot sport cup 2 is a great tyre particularly for the sort of power you are putting down to the real tyres and would def recommend them over the the pilot sports which I run on the v8 work car.  You might take a look at the Pirelli P Zero Rosso which is what one of the Evo magazine put on his GT2. I haven't personally been on those but we have had the normal P Zeros on our very warmed over Mini Cooper S and they have performed well in all  conditions.

I'lI just finish off I find that tyres are an extremely personal thing so how they feel to you as a driver is extremely important and with that in mind for me it's a toss up between the cup 2's and the P Zero Rosso for spirited road use 

I think the P0 Rossos are end of life so any stock around my be old stock.

I went with the Michelin PIlot Sports on my GT3, they are N4 rated.  I love these tyres, quiet, smooth, super grippy. I had them on my Carrera 4 prior to the GT3, so I'm a fan

Dave

Exactly, you just took a journey up through michelins performance tyre ladder (and price?) which top out with the cup 2 as their current top tyre for sports cars.  You would find very different compounds, wear rates, speed ratings and more importantly grip between those 3 tyres. 

There used to be an American online tyre retailer call tirerack (I think) that used to test all the different tyres and rank them on different criteria... Might be worth doing a Google search on them if they are still around and check out results

On Michelin Oz site and googling around, it looks like PS2 is the only tyre available in 18" GT2 sizes.  PS3, PS4, PSC, PSS don't appear to be available.

http://www.michelin.com.au/AU/en/tires/Porsche/911/2002/GT2/6Sp Man 3__6L Flat6 T.html

From reviews it sound like PS4 is a step up from PSS without being as extreme as PSC for road use but it's a moot point if I can't get them!

Best value tyre I could find for the GT3 was the Yokohama AD08-R 

theyre an S compound I think, loads of grip, quiet on road and good in the wet, believe the 996 GT3/2 same tyre size too?

Agree they are a sensational tyre.    TRACTION TYRES in Rowville are very motorsport conscious, and the agents for these.

DJM If you happen to go down the Yoky track, they would be worth a phone call.   Service there is excellent.

9764 2811 ask for Shane.    I have no affiliation with the company, but have purchased heaps of Yoky's off them over the years. 

Archived