Early Cayenne a good proposition as a daily..?

WOKA

Looking at mixing it up a bit and am considering a 'euro truck' as my work daily..  How go the early Cayenne's as an option..?  If one could find a seemingly good one for  c$20k with say 120k ~ 150k on the clock what sort of trouble free motoring could I expect..  I realise its all subjective to condition and history etc, but at these KM's what things should I be aware of..?  Of course you'll say 'its a Porsche, they're not cheap to maintain', but realistically, would it be a viable option..?  I don't have bucket loads of cash but if shit happens its not out of reach to put it right so to say.  

Service costs through at an indi - what could I expect

Running costs such as fuel..  You'd think a 4.5l V8 would suck the juice..?  You see figures of 15l/100km thrown around - is this realistic..?

Or should I get a Diesel Toerag..?

You're braver than me!

As Bruce B says , (big)city bound cars are regarded as "extreme driving conditions" so make sure the extra services have been done. As you may see , lots of these used as short hop family tractors and tow vehicles. Wouldn't take much to go bang to wipe the ownership smile away. I'm sure there are 100s of happy owners though,  who trade up at a certain kilometerage! 

Like all modern performance SUVs , expensive tyres and brakes take a pounding.

If you don't stick the boot into a Porsche V8 there's no point having one! Of course that results in some penalty at the bowser.

$20k is a risk no greater than a 928?

Plastic cooling tubes in the valley of the Vee leak and destroy the starter motor and the starter is expensive, easy enough fix if you catch it, labour may be a bit?

Cardan shaft bearings wear but there is a retro fix for that which is not expensive.

These are the 2 biggest things I found when I was shopping for one, did not buy one but that was a matter of timing and annoyance at local car sales people! From what I found out a very good vehicle, US sites say to avoid 03 models and the later the better they are.

Yes tyres and brakes, they are heavy just like my ML, but then again it is a vehicle that I chose to buy and works in perfectly with the 928 :D

Diesel toerag, NOOOOOO!

Fuel, yes I would expect it to use a bit, a heavy powerful vehicle you cannot escape that..... 15 is the listed useage.... right foot would vary that....

We have an '08 Cayenne 4.8L .....

Not used as a daily but is a great car all around.

Yes, heavy on the juice, but if I wanted fuel economy, I would have bought a Hyundai Excel or Kia Rio .....

We bought the post '07 model as it is the update. Can't really go too wrong if you go in with your eyes wide ope

Can't really go too wrong if you go in with your eyes wallet wide open

As Tom reminds us , it's a Porsche , therefore do not expect a bargain experience!

I think you could make significant savings with some DIY. Then again , next owner people get angsty when they don't see service stamps, don't they?

I think when we're talking a 13yr old car - little does it matter the stamps.  We're getting into disposable commodity territory right about then I reckon, particularly if you're chucking your own spanners.

@ANF - why not the Toerag..?

Don't know about the fuel economy on a V6 Cayenne ..... these are really heavy cars and the V6 would have to work harder.

6 speed auto and 385 Nm at 3000 rpm would see to that, and if it goes anything like my ML, which I believe it does, then it will use less fuel and still go quite quickly.

The turbo's are bullet proof according to the Porsche tech's.   I daily mine and the Mrs may take it when the Macan turns up to daily as she'll be doing more km than me.  Mine's just coming up for front rotors and pads which I've been quoted circa $800-900 or so for supply and fitment.  Last set of I've got 90k out of and I've done 35-40k out of the tyres each time with the right alignment.   They're great on the highway, carry 5 in comfort and ride well with the PASM along with all the options basically ticked as standard (leather dash, alcantara roof lining, heated seats front/rear, PASM, roof etc.)

The key callout as above is to make sure the coolant pipes are swapped for the upgraded metal ones.

Had an '04 Cayenne S - loved it! My wife drove it to work as a daily. 40mins each day in traffic which is a full tank/week.

Best 4WD ever - amazing on out of town trips.

TIP: buy one that is no older than than 9 years (you can buy a warranty from Porsche for a year at $1500). Get the PPI from Porsche and ask what needs to be sorted to get a warranty.  Then enjoy peace of mind and have a full year to get stuff fixed for free ?

From the research I did, they're a very reliable car and the feeling I got was they were overall a better car than the other Euros in its class. The internet told me this so it must be true. The threat of catastrophic failure and huge pain to the bank account seems to be no more than any other European car. If you google problems for a given European car, there will always be something to scare you so whether it's a Cayenne or a BMW 3 series, it will likely treat you well but there is a chance things can go horribly wrong.

The big issues have already been mentioned but take a look in the "Four Door" section of the forum and you'll find more info. We have the facelift 2007 Cayenne S. The V6 version is apparently not significantly cheaper on fuel and quite lethargic to drive. Didn't drive one myself so only going on what I read.

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread. My wife needs something a bit bigger than her current model XT Forester, I was thinking a ~08 GTS might be a good option.

(By "good" I mean, "silly but will make me happy").

Have you bought one yet WOKA? I have! I got an '04 with 164,000kms and full Porsche service history. A heap of car for not much money

So far in the 2 weeks (and 2200ish KM's) i've spent:
* Water pump is $360 (was the only thing wrong with the car when i bought it, and it wasn't too bad - i just got a bit picky)
* Top Engine mount is $100 (I'm chasing a vibration which everyone online says is the top engine mount)
* Bluetooth - $100 for a Tranzit Blu (or https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT010/tooki-porsche.html this for $800 USD if you want 'factory' bluetooth controlled through PCM 2.0 like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtUOlfEBRIE)
* Replace 'sticky' radio buttons $60 (first gen plastics turn sticky, the other option was to soak it in alcohol for 24 hours but new buttons were cheap enough from Porsche genuine parts)
* Bought a 'service kit' from FCP Euro for $150 - Oil Filter, Air Filter, Plugs, Transmission Filter, Transmission Gasket & O Ring, Cabin Filter
New GPS Maps are $150 from here http://jku.com.au/2015-porsche-pcm-2-0-map-update-911-carrera-cayenne-australia-maps-2003-2005-00004490132.html  (I'm holding off, 2017 is the next release of the disk)

I've priced pads & rotors at $1000 for a set of 4 in a decent brand. Don't buy your diff/transmission oil from Po rsche ($80 a litre lol) I'm disappointed how crap the Gemballa exhaust actually is, even if it sounds/looks good. I've got Gemballa lowering springs so struts are about $200-$300 each for Bilstein/Sachs. 

Battery looks like an absolute night mare to change - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0TCOvisKEA

Things to look for are the replaced coolant pipes in the V (metal not plastic - although I don't think there'd be many left) the improved driveshaft mount with extra rubber around it. I looked at one that needed $5k of work straight off the bat as the torque converter was leaking :(

They're fast enough, and drink fuel when driven hard surprisingly! I'm going to do most of my own work so it should be farily reasonable to maintain

I had a 2007 model & loved it. Certainly more expensive than a Ford but cost me much less than the Range Rover & X5 that I owned previously. I spent about $2500 a year on maintenance & didn't find the parts stupidly expensive. If I didn't need a seven seater to accommodate four kids I would buy one again in a second....a turbo !!

Good luck....

Archived