car storage

SteveC

I rent a locked up garage in the basement of a high rise hotel in Melbourne's inner Northern suburbs for $200/mth and I also have a parking space in a lock up cage for an additional $100/mth in the same place.

how did you find this? is it on a lease or month by month

if i were to build something, cars will need to go somewhere for a short period of time

how did you find this? is it on a lease or month by month

if i were to build something, cars will need to go somewhere for a short period of time

Word of mouth - PM me and Ill disclose the location and contact details for you. I think they have a waiting list on garages but they do come up

Just a heads up if anyone is interested. We are in the planning stages of a car storage facility with hoists/tools and later coffee shop (both hot and cold)  in Central Ringwood with one of my best mates who already has the factory. 

At this stage there is space for 7 cars, with 24/7 internet monitoring and security. You will be able to login and check your car remotely. 

Should be up and running by Feb 2017.

For 3 years I've rented a warehouse about 5 min from home (in Adelaide) and about the same from work. I can fit about 7 cars without moving any to get one out or about 12 if I'm happy to juggle. I get the piece about being remote from the convenience of home, but in my case, there is now no grief from the wife who can't see the growing collection. I mean she knows they are there and she's seen them in situ but they aren't under her nose to annoy her. It's better for the marriage and now the kids have cars, we are fresh out of space at home anyway. Shannons have blessed the arrangement thanks to back to base security. The key consideration for any out-of-home garaging is location.

I'd buy the place if the landlady would sell (she says she won't), but it's cheaper to rent as an open market sale would bring irrational money thanks to the near-city location.

Called up the guy who runs the Frys operation and the guy hung the phone up on me within 5 minutes.

maybe he had a bad day but that was rather strange... 

with dickheads like that working in the business I'd pass on storing my car with them.....

maybe im getting old but the dickhead ratio is certainly growing.......

im scratching my head as to what I said to get that response from him

first time its happened and has got me really worried

I believe the guy i spoke to was the actual owner of the company. i think his name was james. Id be thinking maybe he just had a bad day...

the phone didn't cut out as we were talking on our mobiles and each knew the other sides number

i had initially called him but he said he was busy and would call me back. So he did some time later.

Something I must have said - I did say what if we wanted to access the car. He immediately asked why I said we. I said I'm looking for storage short term at this stage and forum members may be interested. 

He did say I'm not comfortable with this, you better just look for someone else for storage

i thought I heard him wrong so I paused and wasn't sure what to say. I said I think you may have misunderstood then I asked how do I go about accessing the cars when they are stored there

which is when he said you are better off looking for somewhere else to store your cars and hung up

Sort of like going to a porsche dealer and being told to go buy a different car from someone else instead as they aren't willing to help you

I'm shocked...

• 9 months later...

My first post to PFA (be kind!) and am just in the process of buying my first Porsche. Does anyone know of secure storage in Melbourne CBD or inner Eastern suburbs (e.g. Richmond)?

Thanks

My first post to PFA (be kind!) and am just in the process of buying my first Porsche. Does anyone know of secure storage in Melbourne CBD or inner Eastern suburbs (e.g. Richmond)?

Thanks

CBD eh? that'll cost ya. You buying a new turbo or a old 986 boxster? ie. where in the $$ stakes are you? And is this for store and forget or to retrieve on a regular basis?  Does it need to be near where you live, work, etc...? why?

If store and forget for some time, then does it really need to be inner city? I renovated a few yrs a go and stored my car away for 6 mths in a place in braeside. before you frown at the mere mention of "braeside" ...It was great. It used to be a food wholesaler so it had a cold storage warehouse. That means your baby stayed at a constant temp of 18c all year round. There's a mancave spot in moorabbin  and others around the traps, one in bay rd sandringham. (I live bayside, so this area more familiar to me) 

But ...if for more regular retrieval, you can lease (or even buy) a carspot in one of those multi-storey CBD parking joints.... 

Need more info twro.

CBD eh? that'll cost ya. You buying a new turbo or a old 986 boxster? ie. where in the $$ stakes are you? And is this for store and forget or to retrieve on a regular basis?  Does it need to be near where you live, work, etc...? why?

If store and forget for some time, then does it really need to be inner city? I renovated a few yrs a go and stored my car away for 6 mths in a place in braeside. before you frown at the mere mention of "braeside" ...It was great. It used to be a food wholesaler so it had a cold storage warehouse. That means your baby stayed at a constant temp of 18c all year round. There's a mancave spot in moorabbin  and others around the traps, one in bay rd sandringham. (I live bayside, so this area more familiar to me) 

But ...if for more regular retrieval, you can lease (or even buy) a carspot in one of those multi-storey CBD parking joints.... 

Need more info twro.

It's for regular usage, hence wanting it to be near my new office (we move from Fitzroy to the CBD in about a month). Currently I have secure underground car storage in Fitzroy very close to my office, which is really convenient. On any day I can either drive my daily (and park at the office), or drive my P (and park in the underground storage).

I'm looking for a similar set-up in the city. I realise it will be $$$, but hopefully not significantly more than I am paying in Fitzroy.

The alternative is around Richmond or neighbouring suburbs, which is closer to my home.

Leasing a carspot in a multi-storey car park would be suitable - does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks,

Been making a lot of calls over the last week. I had a car stored in Altona for 7 years at $70/mth now I have to move it

Fry's in Port Melbourne at $110/mths is an open public carpark. He has another two options. Secured at $200/mth (max height is 2.1m so tow trucks can't get in) or $550/mth for a lock up garage

I found another secure place in Croydon for $200/mth

You have other options like containers etc bit further out Moorabbin, Braeside, etc

fact is, you won't get secured under cover storage for under $200/mth

Been making a lot of calls over the last week. I had a car stored in Altona for 7 years at $70/mth now I have to move it

Fry's in Port Melbourne at $110/mths is an open public carpark. He has another two options. Secured at $200/mth (max height is 2.1m so tow trucks can't get in) or $550/mth for a lock up garage

I found another secure place in Croydon for $200/mth

You have other options like containers etc bit further out Moorabbin, Braeside, etc

fact is, you won't get secured under cover storage for under $200/mth

I'm actually going to check out Fry's today - i'll let you know how it is.

I'm in Yarraville and can't find anything in that area either.  PFA Inner West warehouse??

Checked our Fry's in Port Melbourne yesterday - good very secure facility. Met with James who was a nice bloke and showed me around.  The $110 isnt really an option - you are not allocated a park, can't cover the car and you're in a very public and unlocked car park.  $199 option looks great but pretty XX'y for what I want long term. They offer a 1/12 discount if you pay for a year up front which is better than nothing.

Anyone know of any other options Central or West of Melbourne?

Archived