Transaxle Engine Bay Clean/Detail Tips

KGB

Gents,

Those amongst us of a more enlightened persuasion (front engine owners) please share your tips and tricks for keeping your engine bay spotless.  I'm good with body and interior, but not so much on the engine bay.   I'm ready to spray it with $2 degreaser, stop me, enlighten me...

Generous applications of elbow grease & various degreasers have always worked for me. Old T shirts & small brass bristle basil  brushes.

Don't get water in the 14 pin connector or Christmas will come early to your gauge pod.

Then you have to go underneath...don't get kerosene in your eyes.

To answer you question though...I just used degreaser, fuel or brake cleaner on all the engine parts. To clean the engine bay paint I used degreaser and paint thinner with a paint brush to get rid of all the crud, and then resprayed it. I let the paint out gas for 30 days and then sealed in with Menzerna power lock sealant. Any oily finger prints and other crap that ends up on the white paint can now easily be wiped off with a micro fibre towel and meguiars quick detailer without leaving any marks. The engine itself I just periodically brush with thick paintbrush and vacuum the dust off. There aren't any oil leaks so the engine has stayed very clean.

I used to use brake cleaner on the greasy bits on my old car, it's very fumey though so use in a ventilated area. On the painted areas you would be surprised how good car polish is at removing grime etc. It's not an easy fix and does take a bit of time but keep chipping away at different areas every now and then and you should see some good results over time. I like brake cleaner because it doesn't leave the lingering smell like degreaser.

There are also water based products as well, Cleangreen, Aquasolve and a Fuchs product called Renoform. I can vouch for the first 2 products, i have used them on my cars before with no ill effects

928 Engine Bay Cleaning.......be really careful.......its like taking a camping holiday in Afghanistan. Even on a good day its dangerous and it could turn to shit really fast.....but with good planning you minimise the risk.

- Remove your belly pans first assuming you still have them fitted - all of the crap you clean from the engine will drip down onto them. Removal takes 15 minutes but you need the car on ramps or on a kerb - you need to get right under the car. If you don't have belly pans get some - they add protection, aid with cooling and make the car run better at speed.

- I would avoid putting any water or cleaning product on the top of the engine between the V's/Around the intake system

- All electrics, ECU modules, alternator, etc. wrap in small plastic bags and tape them up. Be really careful with your engine bay loom also, the plastic covering is typically degrading by now and has cracks in it

- Cheap $2 de-greaser - use it around the block and suspension - major oily bits.

- Buy yourself some decent brushes to scrub that in after it has sat for 5 minutes; I uses these https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/mint/detailing_brush_kit and also these https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/vikan/engine_and_surrounds_brushes

- I use Bowdens Agent Orange for the final clean and areas where you dont want that nasty de-greaser going http://www.bowdensown.com.au/products/exterior/agent-orange this is a really good product and gets good results 

- Only use a hose on low pressure, avoid high pressure in the engine bay at all costs; once well rinsed I let the car sit with the bonnet open and dry a little before starting and running to dry off excess

- For the plastics in the engine bay I use 303 Protectant on the plastic parts and hoses - nice matt finish, as you are probaby aware avoid all silicone based stuff, it looks great but attracts dust and grime - 303 is very safe on most rubber and plastic https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/303_products/aerospace_protectant

- I use Autosol metal polish to buff up the metal components in the bay but be careful of the powder when buffing it off

- Once your done, if you haven't already replace the hood liner pad, that waffle foam on the underside of the bonnet. Avoid the aftermarket crap, the real Porsche pads will run you under $150 and they lift the entire engine bay and may the car look fresh. To replace the pad, old blanket on the lawn, bonnet off, upside down and with a plastic paint scraper and goo remover scrape the area clean. Dry it up and just peel and stick on the new foam pad

- Youtube is your friend; a few decent common sense engine bay videos are online (along with the usual nutcase content) 

image.jpg1.jpg

The secret is to take it all apart and put it back together ;-)

Sorry if I'm not offering any real advice, just thought I'd use the chance to show off my engine :D

aB61eD2.jpg

Timm that looks sensational - love the High Temp coating you have done on the rocker cover, that is exactly how it ought to look if you ask me

That's all I heard.

Do I mow and edge the lawn pre or post? :)

you always mow before washing the cars but you know that - grass particles in the air = debris. BTW thats not my lawn its a public park, my OCD would prevent me from sleeping if I had lawn edges like that

and if I wasnt clear enough - be really careful

Gents,

Those amongst us of a more enlightened persuasion (front engine owners) please share your tips and tricks for keeping your engine bay spotless.  I'm good with body and interior, but not so much on the engine bay.   I'm ready to spray it with $2 degreaser, stop me, enlighten me...

Please don't spray without covering up your electrical, I made that mistake, but was lucky that she started 2 days later after some panic & WD, do a google search on 944 engine cleaning issues. I am with Tim, disassemble clean & reasemble or lots of cleaners on rags, NO LIBERAL SPRAYING, or you may regret it.

These engines both the 944 and 928 have such busy engine bays. I feel it's just easier taking the intake off mine, the cooler pipes, and a few other bits and pieces. then start cleaning,

I'm quite bad at doing stuff. I tend to take the complicated way to fix something easier. I.e I pulled my engine out because it was easier to fix an oil leak under the exhaust manifold (oil cooler lines & filer section - which was not leaking!..) instead of taking half of the stuff off my car just to get to that spot. 

These engines both the 944 and 928 have such busy engine bays. I feel it's just easier taking the intake off mine, the cooler pipes, and a few other bits and pieces. then start cleaning,

I'm quite bad at doing stuff. I tend to take the complicated way to fix something easier. I.e I pulled my engine out because it was easier to fix an oil leak under the exhaust manifold (oil cooler lines & filer section - which was not leaking!..) instead of taking half of the stuff off my car just to get to that spot. 

Yes agreed - I should have said to remove the intake pipes, I skipped listing that. On the GTS they are even worse given they are covered in the insulation that the S4s dont have

Sorry mate it looked like it was turning into show 'n tell:D

Tingy your bay looks fantastic

Archived