EOI: 924 TURBO

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seems the blue 924T causing many to revise their tendencies has resurfaced at some swanky not dissimilar to DUTTONS mis en scene in Adelaide

resurfaced in Adelaide asking close to double the 35K buiks quoted me... is this a new Annexe of the Gosford Car Museum?

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C819038

Nice find Trev - car looks great but 50000 Pounds is a big ask considering the mileage and non originality (a lot of it being rebuilt if that makes sense). 

Painted wheel cap centres dont look right, pretty sure the crest was infilled with black detail

Regardless - I have downloaded the pics for my reference files:D

Nice find Trev - car looks great but 50000 Pounds is a big ask considering the mileage and non originality (a lot of it being rebuilt if that makes sense). 

Painted wheel cap centres dont look right, pretty sure the crest was infilled with black detail

Regardless - I have downloaded the pics for my reference files:D

Does look nice though .....

Gives us something to aspire to Dave ..... from the outside it's identical to our twins.

BTW ..... my red rocket should be arriving today .....  :D

Does look nice though .....

Gives us something to aspire to Dave ..... from the outside it's identical to our twins.

BTW ..... my red rocket should be arriving today .....  :D

Nice one - pics or it isnt true

Im confident my 924 will be 90% of that UK car for 20% of the cost

In UK reported to be approx 10 , RHD S1's on the road.

Michel,

Do you know how many S1's were originally sold in the UK? Would love to see the survival ratio if there are only approx 10 left .....

Does you knowledge of S1's extend to Aus delivered ones? I believe there were only about 66 delivered here. Any idea on the number of survivors? (bearing in mind that one of them is in my garage  :D

It's reported 10 are taxed and on the road.. which doesn't preclude more survivors.

total numbers of oz turbos very very low compared to other P offerings back in the day,  whilst the S1 sunroof delete, pasha interior is the pin up for most, 82 delivered turbos are by memory the year with the lowest numbers delivered here. 

Either way 70's turbo car fun that are (rightly) creating their own shadow ... add them to your 2002 turbo and 99 turbo (3 for less than the price of 1 RHD converted 3.0turbo)  for the triumvirate.

The above is been well understood by the less sun addled and refined EuroBrit.

Looks like a S1 in RHD....not many around, would love to see the engine bay

it's bloody nice - but it's still a reasonably high mileage car. I didn't realise just 10 were around, my assumption was a good complete car at say 10,000 Pounds - then you have almost 40,000 Pounds gets you a lot of paint, engine rebuilds and trimming....

it's bloody nice - but it's still a reasonably high mileage car. I didn't realise just 10 were around, my assumption was a good complete car at say 10,000 Pounds - then you have almost 40,000 Pounds gets you a lot of paint, engine rebuilds and trimming....

I guess one of the reasons not many of these exist is they had a bad stigma for a long time, and were known as the "poor mans Porsche" and as such were owned by the type of person that will run it into the ground, and bin it when they get the bill shock to repair it, hence many have been left to rot, and rot they do with the "atrium" style rear glass hatch, UV rays have not been kind to these cars, and with a very intricate carpet set, that alone would make many people give up.

Until recently nobody but the diehard 924 fans gave a damn about these cars, and as such many of the replacement parts were not available, still partly the case today, though many aftermarket part suppliers are starting to wake up, along with the hordes of people that missed the Aircooled price rises and circling back to these forgotten gems.

It's very time intensive to repair the years of ratbag owners / time degradation, and not many mechanics will work on a RHD Turbo for you, the clearance due to RHD AND TURBO makes things very testing, unless you are going to pay the high rates, it will be hard to find someone up to the task, unless you do it yourself (which is not out of the question for someone that has basic mechanical aptitude and lots of passion/time)

So this Red one in the UK, though highish kms, they are most likely real and well documented kms, rather than the 3 times clocked over speedos in many other examples (these are 5 digit odometers), also to restore such a car to that condition would cost close to the asking price, still I agree a lot of coin, but it's easy to fall foul with a poorly maintained Porsche (of any model) or even just aged, the romance of a classic quickly fades as things keep breaking on an aged car, try enjoying that stress on a long country drive

So are people willing to pay a hefty markup on a well sorted car, I think so, it's a car that is rare, and can be readily enjoyed for spirited long drives

As for the numbers, it can be confusing, it's important to note that Australian delivery records show NO 924 Turbos delivered in 1979...NONE! So with a newspaper article showing the 1st RHD Turbo being delivered in London in Nov 1979, this fits in correctly with the understanding that early S1 "RHD" Turbos were sold as 1980 cars, but soon after the 1st few delivered, Porsche was already onto the S2, and hence a 1980 can be an S1 or an S2. Where people get confused is they ready the generic announcements of 924T release dates which reflect the LHD cars, Porsche spent ages trying to get the Turbo to sit in the right spot for a RHD application...and most probably was a touch embarrassing so not much is known about this "lost year" for the RHD 924T

The checks for an S1 Turbo

1/ No side indicators on the front guards - S1

2/ WPOZZZ VIN number = S2, but a 93XXXX older style VIN number = S1

3/ Vin is NOT stamped on the firewall like S2 and 944's, but the S1 has the VIN stamped on the shocktower

4/ Oval shaped Turbo charge pipe in S1 vs more round in S2

5/ Different Turbo, ignition mappings and compression for S2

There are more, but these are the main ones

There is not many cars that have the P car pedigree, classic 70's charm, Iconic Turbo "light-switch" boost (not to mention the incredible sound to go with it) and well balanced for the money, but you really need to choose wisely, always go for the sorted running car, unless you are very handy/resourceful

Even the early Mazda RX7's of which were a blatant copy of the 924 have become very collectible, its no wonder the 924's are gaining momentum....it's just that we have all been busy killing each other over aircooled deals to notice.......

You're a good apostle @Robert930

though unless that high priced red car was owned new by Britt Ekland, big game hunters love big antlers.. not kms ????

im in a happy mood today 

Said it before the silver 924turbo sold from QLD was then a Cherry and a bargain .. who bought it?

BTW for posterity let's move  this chitchat over to the 924 market thread 

I guess one of the reasons not many of these exist is they had a bad stigma for a long time, and were known as the "poor mans Porsche" and as such were owned by the type of person that will run it into the ground, and bin it when they get the bill shock to repair it, hence many have been left to rot, and rot they do with the "atrium" style rear glass hatch, UV rays have not been kind to these cars, and with a very intricate carpet set, that alone would make many people give up.

Until recently nobody but the diehard 924 fans gave a damn about these cars, and as such many of the replacement parts were not available, still partly the case today, though many aftermarket part suppliers are starting to wake up, along with the hordes of people that missed the Aircooled price rises and circling back to these forgotten gems.

It's very time intensive to repair the years of ratbag owners / time degradation, and not many mechanics will work on a RHD Turbo for you, the clearance due to RHD AND TURBO makes things very testing, unless you are going to pay the high rates, it will be hard to find someone up to the task, unless you do it yourself (which is not out of the question for someone that has basic mechanical aptitude and lots of passion/time)

So this Red one in the UK, though highish kms, they are most likely real and well documented kms, rather than the 3 times clocked over speedos in many other examples (these are 5 digit odometers), also to restore such a car to that condition would cost close to the asking price, still I agree a lot of coin, but it's easy to fall foul with a poorly maintained Porsche (of any model) or even just aged, the romance of a classic quickly fades as things keep breaking on an aged car, try enjoying that stress on a long country drive

So are people willing to pay a hefty markup on a well sorted car, I think so, it's a car that is rare, and can be readily enjoyed for spirited long drives

As for the numbers, it can be confusing, it's important to note that Australian delivery records show NO 924 Turbos delivered in 1979...NONE! So with a newspaper article showing the 1st RHD Turbo being delivered in London in Nov 1979, this fits in correctly with the understanding that early S1 "RHD" Turbos were sold as 1980 cars, but soon after the 1st few delivered, Porsche was already onto the S2, and hence a 1980 can be an S1 or an S2. Where people get confused is they ready the generic announcements of 924T release dates which reflect the LHD cars, Porsche spent ages trying to get the Turbo to sit in the right spot for a RHD application...and most probably was a touch embarrassing so not much is known about this "lost year" for the RHD 924T

The checks for an S1 Turbo

1/ No side indicators on the front guards - S1

2/ WPOZZZ VIN number = S2, but a 93XXXX older style VIN number = S1

3/ Vin is NOT stamped on the firewall like S2 and 944's, but the S1 has the VIN stamped on the shocktower

4/ Oval shaped Turbo charge pipe in S1 vs more round in S2

5/ Different Turbo, ignition mappings and compression for S2

There are more, but these are the main ones

There is not many cars that have the P car pedigree, classic 70's charm, Iconic Turbo "light-switch" boost (not to mention the incredible sound to go with it) and well balanced for the money, but you really need to choose wisely, always go for the sorted running car, unless you are very handy/resourceful

Even the early Mazda RX7's of which were a blatant copy of the 924 have become very collectible, its no wonder the 924's are gaining momentum....it's just that we have all been busy killing each other over aircooled deals to notice.......

Rob,

I'm still trying to learn about these cars since my purchase of one last week.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the stupid dogleg gearbox only in series 1 turbo's?

Also, please enlighten me on this "turbo light switch boost". I have no idea what that means .....

Thanks ....

Michel,

Do you know how many S1's were originally sold in the UK? Would love to see the survival ratio if there are only approx 10 left .....

Does you knowledge of S1's extend to Aus delivered ones? I believe there were only about 66 delivered here. Any idea on the number of survivors? (bearing in mind that one of them is in my garage  :D

I have one in my garage and know of another one rotting under a tree with front end damage ,engine out and in bits 2 suburbs away from its body.

Archived