997 Fuel Economy

JB

Hi all,

just interssted to see what people are getting? On a run from Qld to Vic I saw 8's however around town I'm 14's, in saying that sports exhaust switched on?

07 4S manual with chrono & exhaust

thanks

JB

Wow, was just a question purely based on interest not the monetary equation, thought that was what these forums were about.

just interested me in terms of avg's as these engines have a massive variance dependent on how you drive. Not a lot of mass produced engines have that capability these days.

ill leave it at that then.

Wow, was just a question purely based on interest not the monetary equation, thought that was what these forums were about.

just interested me in terms of avg's as these engines have a massive variance dependent on how you drive. Not a lot of mass produced engines have that capability these days.

ill leave it at that then.

I thought it was a valid question.

It is nice to know how far you can go on a tank at various speeds,i.e.,100,110,120 etc, when planning a trip/fuel stops.  If the fuel gauge stops for some unknown reason then you can work out a safe fuel range. I know that in cruise, at about 110kph, I can do 700+km on a single tank. 

Handy info, when I have gone out for some fun and the tank gets down to 1/4, I can safely cruise another 160km.  Bound to be a servo in that distance.

There is always a bit of "pucker" factor comes in when the tank level gets low....so I carry 10 ltrs reserve on long trips.

Car racing, also, is not just outright speed.

So the qld to vic run I did saw me sitting avg 120kmph with a few spirited sprints 200+. This saw approx 600k out of a tank. Pure city driving with exhaust on and a couple of blasts see's 300-350 tops. Combined 400 off k's per tank. Track day in feb tipping 200ks per tank?

I have no intention of leaving any liquid energy for the millennials to leave to the buttercups who will have no idea what to do with it. 

I agree - if it's going to run out sometime, what difference does it make under whose watch it runs out?

Interestingly, in the latest Classic Porsche mag, a bunch of guys went on a European road trip of about 3000km.  A '70 911S 2.2, a 3.2 Carrera, a 996 C4 and a new Boxster.  Some freeway, some city driving and some track driving.  At the end they compared notes and found they'd consumed almost exactly the same amount of fuel.  Makes ya think dunnit?

Archived