3.0l engine and gearbox for sale

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the delay. Just spent a day at the Sydney tennis in 42 degrees and promised my wife i wouldn't sit there online!

Please forget the title nof the thread, because I stuffed up. This is far less complicated than some seem to be making out. What we have here is a standard 3.2l engine and a 915 gearbox out of a 1985 ROW car. Both engine and gearbox were rebuilt 3760 kms ago. The engine is totally standard with original casing, crank and heads but everything else replaced. So it has new pistons, rods, cylinders, bearings seals etc and reconditioned heads with new valves and valve gear. Cams are standard. All the brightwork was either replaced or refinished. It has standard intake and exhaust manifolds. The injectors were reconditioned. I don't know what else to say. It's like new and original.

The gearbox is a 915 with the oil coooler. It was also rebuilt with anything out of spec replaced. All new seals, new second gear set and dog teeth, 1st gear synchro and dog teeth, 1st and 2nd gear slider and pinion roller bearings. The diff is a factory lsd but was not rebuilt (no need). 

My friend is digging out the invoice but we think the engine and box cost just over $32,000 to rebuild. We need to check the invoice because he had other work done at the same time.

I hope that clears everything up.

Can i now go to dinner :D

Well Simon, why didn't ya just say ;)

Hughsey are you saying or quoting ?

Are you saying ATO , Firstone and Dreamr cant bid … when those rules come about ??    Im all for people paying memberships..

Simon just put $75 on the price whatever it is and lets get this resolved, pay these guys fees mate.. outta this deal as your mate aint on the forum either.

I think there should be some consistency in theSe rules.. BS  

As for lowball a Camry is fair trade a Vague car for a Vague box of bits … 

I dont see an offer .. a Camry maybe.  

Anyway Hughsey , will have a beer with you any day .. not directed at you personally

Recent bitchfight on here is BS .. everyone should pay there memberships and stop being tight arses. Plenty of benefit .

If you aint got 25 you aint gotta way to get a Porsche or a Porsche sticker even.

If theres one simple rule everyone can follow it .. No money no access to the honey simple.

As for lowball I have to agree with our newley esteemed members comment in another thread.. Its the sellers position to take or reject offers. Not really anyone else's business. 

Simon im happy to save you form your heatstroke misery 3.5k for the box , 5k with good paperwork.  $10 for the motor ..$20k with good info..

Second hand is second hand after all ….how fast was the owner going when they had the uninsured misshap?

All good here symsy. 

Looking fwd to that beer. 

If you pick on me I wont shout it , if I pick on you I will buy you two , If I have lowballed you and made cash on the flip.. we will get very drunk ;)

Re selling and membership see below the line

For clarity gents and its obviously not being adhered to and im not being personal, cos I have already called out how I personaly feel that all sellers , buyers should be members and pay the insignificant amount of money required to join up and support the forum.

We all come here cos we see some value/opportunity, get entertainment or otherwise  .. surely the easiest thing would be to get all to pay all the time for everything … then you dont even need a fricken rule...

You used to buy a mag to get access to the for sale adverts , you buy and read a tech journal for info.  whats the difference $25 is a magazine and one not as regular in content update as this forum.

So my last little rant ,

I have now asked the Moderator team to put this as a high priority after the PFA track day down south for review……. Selling and membership

Sorry Simon I think that calls your advert Null and Void , a bit like the discussion and little interaction with Michel last week about suggesting he can put people in touch with his mate who was selling a car… Hugh commented on that.

I hope he can sell and resolves his dramas , maybe he should join the forum.

Here are the current rules , which we evidently dont have moderated or followed to some level…

--------------------------------------------

As there have been some moderation required recently through a lot of different sections of the forum, I thought it was time to clarify the rules regarding the 'For Sale' section of PFA.

• You can only post items for sale if you're a financial member of Porsche Forum Australia (this is an effort by the team that runs this forum to stamp out users who contribute nothing and use our vast membership to spruik their items for sale. As you can appreciate this forum costs a considerable amount each month to keep going and financial membership goes towards a small part of these costs.) - For details on how to become a financial member go to the 'Shop' section here and select 'Financial Membership'

• If you post in another section of the forum in a vague attempt to circumvent these rules and post a 'For Sale' ad it will be moderated (so don't)

There are no exceptions to the above rules, so don't PM me asking to sell something for you

These rules are for everybody, and If you have any questions on the above rules please contact me via Private Message.

Think! will keep the $ low and Know! Brings in the dough. $18-25. Who did the work? 32k invoice with 20k of parts or 20k of overpriced north shore labour in that 32k?

Invoice and details would be really helpfull seller please :) 

As i said above, it was done by PR Tec. The way they work means that while the engine is standard, it is effectively blue printed which is always good for a little extra power. The invoice will take a few days to get by which time I hope to have a sale because to some extent, it doesn't matter what the invoice says. What we have here is an engine and gearbox that is as good or better than new which has been built by a very reputable source. If that isn't good enough for you, sorry! A lot of the cost is in the new parts which many wouldn't bother to replace, because the only reason to do so is for show. The same with re-plating and powder coating stuff. To get the engine bay to look better than new isn't cheap om small ancillaries.

I have a picture I was sent of the engine bay when it was first fitted. I will post it when I get to the office.

Simon , can you give us a guideline  of what your mates looking for ? Theres not a lot of talk of numbers..  is this thread for selling or discussing folks.

Im interested, I got a car for it to go in next week.

Im also interested what the market actually thinks this stuff is worth. Its good to know a real trade thats happening amoung those that we know and see what the real value is beyond the market fixing and hype thats out there.

Simon PR Tech dont seem to remember the client or a car.. thats had an issue .. was talking today with them on another front.  you might be best to get the info available mate or you will have to go hang with the $500k 964 Turbo dude for eternity.

Im raising , will chuck in 3 months loan of the Camry . 3.5k for the box , 5k with good paperwork.  $10 for the motor based on promises ..$20k with good info..    

You can say NO I wont be offended.. it happens a lot in my life, im used to it , especially when I put forward a trade with the hottest girl at the bar.. half an hour of her body for an hour of mine ..  but its is a good conversation starter and I get to hang with her anyway

/Off Topic

You can only post items for sale if you're a financial member of Porsche Forum Australia 

Does this mean its ok to post items for sale on behalf of third parties / non members..?  

/On topic

My $.02c worth ...... and no, I have no affiliation or interest in buying ......

Foregoing the invoice and going by what we know so far:

I would have thought that to buy a 3.2 engine of unknown origins you would expect to pay $8k - $10k

Now for the tricky bit ......

I would need to pay for it to be rebuilt ..... that would set me back $20k - $25k (probably not including all of the brightwork as described)

So if I wanted to replace the motor with an unknown one from ebay, I would expect it to set me back around $35k

Others here would be competent to do the work themselves, saving $thousands (and a lot of them)

For me, I would think it to be a $25k minimum buy ..... if I didn't want to wait and have the car off the road for months, I would possibly pay more.

For someone else that can do the work themselves, they would resent the $120 p/h charged to the owner for the work.

I suggest asking Bruce or Sean Buchanan ..... they posted not too long ago a stunning motor rebuilt almost the same way

Now .... on another note ....

I find it extremely interesting that there are "financial members"  on here roasting the non payers and citing rules and regulations about posting in the for sale section, yet are happy to put their hands forward to purchase such items.

C'mon guys ..... there can't be 1 rule for some and 1 rule for others .....

Either you like the fact that you are getting first dibs at something before it goes to the open market ..... or keep your money where your mouths are and refuse to buy anything because it doesn't comply with the rules ......

This is not pointed at anyone in particular .... if anyone takes it personally, that is your problem

And just in case anyone is wondering, I am specifically talking about the point raised (not the member that said it)  that Simon shouldn't be advertising things for sale on behalf of someone that isn't a paid member .....

Good commentary Dreamr ..on values 

-------------------------------------------------------------------  As for the points on sales, memberships etc.. I think im the one raised most of it, so I will reply although many of you are gracious not to point fingers..

So I will cut to the chase cos its my style.

I seek a little forgiveness for my membership campaign… just being too pro the forum and liking a trade space I guess, possibly in style some of you dont like..

As I have said cos there is a lot of inuendo and BS here on the forum of late and in this thread also and the "Whats for sale arena".

So to be clear , I have asked the mods to have a good structured review of sales threads and entitlements for members and put my suggestions in a PM to them to go forward in a more approriate way.

As for being direct!

Simon your advert writing skills are crap.. they should be better after hanging with this bunch of spelling and grammar freaks..

So is this shit for sale or what! you deserve a lowball.. you coulda got your copy reviewed by the marketting maniacs on here.. Im sure theres plenty your connected to

If you do sell make a donation to PFA charity fund or something

Peace and Porsches and or parts there of ..

Good commentary Dreamr ..on values 

-------------------------------------------------------------------  As for the points on sales, memberships etc.. I think im the one raised most of it, so I will reply although many of you are gracious not to point fingers..

So I will cut to the chase cos its my style.

I seek a little forgiveness for my membership campaign… just being too pro the forum and liking a trade space I guess, possibly in style some of you dont like..

As I have said cos there is a lot of inuendo and BS here on the forum of late and in this thread also and the "Whats for sale arena".

So to be clear , I have asked the mods to have a good structured review of sales threads and entitlements for members and put my suggestions in a PM to them to go forward in a more approriate way.

As for being direct!

Simon your advert writing skills are crap.. they should be better after hanging with this bunch of spelling and grammar freaks..

So is this shit for sale or what! you deserve a lowball.. you coulda got your copy reviewed by the marketting maniacs on here.. Im sure theres plenty your connected to

If you do sell make a donation to PFA charity fund or something

Peace and Porsches and or parts there of ..

I appreciate your comment about my write up on values ....

I am however a little upset that you haven't offered to buy me a beer..... I recall reading a little stoush you had with another member and he got offered to get hammered ....

A little "financial member" snobbery perhaps?? ...... B)

I appreciate your comment about my write up on values ....

I am however a little upset that you haven't offered to buy me a beer..... I recall reading a little stoush you had with another member and he got offered to get hammered ....

A little "financial member" snobbery perhaps?? ...... B)

I can drop a case if you light the BBQ up on my drive by …enroute home next month in a new toy 

I can drop a case if you light the BBQ up on my drive by …enroute home next month in a new toy 

I look forward to seeing you, the case and of course, the new toy!! .......

Seriously though ..... I'm 1.5 mins from the Gosford freeway exit ..... make for a nice rest stop. The door is always open (unless I'm not home, of course) ....:lol:

Simon I'll buy gearbox and engine based on the information provided.  $22,000 cash on pickup. Let me know if this is agreeable and I can drive up this weekend to pickup the goods. Happy to transfer a deposit into a nominated account, send me bank details and location via pm.

I have been looking to rebuild my 915 and thinking if I pick up this 3.2 and box I can replace and refresh my engine and box whilst still enjoying some summer cruisin.  Then after said work I am happy to offer the engine and gearbox back to the market.  But based on the current interest perhaps TheATO might want to pick it up for low $$$.

Please note I have been a full card carrying financial member for many a year, so please let's proceed to the checkout. Also, who will be buying the beers?

Symsy you say, "just being too pro the forum.

Really....25 bucks into the forum kitty  vs people perhaps feeling insulted enough to leave the forum and take their pearls of wisdom, potential friendship and wealth including cars and parts with them.

Comments in this thread have prompted me to check my status and my FM has expired, ooops. That's my reason, as if it is any of your business. 

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons people may not pay for FM and that's their business not yours, you are not a mod nor the owner. 

Positive encouragement may work wonders.

I suggest asking Bruce or Sean Buchanan ..... they posted not too long ago a stunning motor rebuilt almost the same way

That was my old man's 3.2L. Absolutely stunning rebuilt asethically and mechanically. THE gold standard. 

A4930FF9-36B7-455A-8614-C6F6E0507190_zps

Symsy you say, "just being too pro the forum.

Really....25 bucks into the forum kitty  vs people perhaps feeling insulted enough to leave the forum and take their pearls of wisdom, potential friendship and wealth including cars and parts with them.

Comments in this thread have prompted me to check my status and my FM has expired, ooops. That's my reason, as if it is any of your business. 

I'm sure there are plenty of reasons people may not pay for FM and that's their business not yours, you are not a mod nor the owner. 

Positive encouragement may work wonders.

Yeah got it .. and I dont need to get into a wrestle with you.. Firstone

My outlooks on life and the forum I speak they aint all directed at you ..

As for people leaving , I dont think its about $25 bucks and what I have had to say

What I feel is theres BS on this forum and too greater focus on values and money is the truth , people have issues with others offering low numbers .. thats BS .. its the owners or the sellers business. I see no shame in people putting offers forward and no shame in people rejecting them.  

Like all car forums .. lots of egos and opinions , lots of wannabes , lots of fat wallets .. lots of heros wanting to be noticed.

So I guess I got my own style and attitude I will work that out… and I reflect on that .. hence I gave out a little apology…if you or others aint hearing its  your call ,

I wont loose sleep on those that cant receive my ownership of what i have said and written  … not everybody connects ..but I know now I have been big enough an apology.

This virtual playground we are in has a responsibility, im trying to own mine .. the bitchy inuendos and sniping and BS and hiding behind keyboards.. thats for small little boys 

Open invitation if someone feels like they still need a chat.. PM me you number I will call.

I think this has all had enough energy….

As I have also highlighted.. I am in contact with the Mods , I have given my input , my applogy to them and suggestion on membership and posting sales threads.

Archived