Protective Vinyl Wrap - Opinions & Experiences

Terry458

Hey Legends,

I wanted to get my GT4 wrapped in a clear protective film:

1. Do you know anyone in Melbourne/VIC that has experience with wrapping Porsches or other prestige makes?

2. I have other cars I’d like to wrap in a coloured wrap.  Any good referrals or past experiences..?

3. Can anyone think of any negatives to having this done in general to a new Porsche (skills required, excessive costs etc)?

Love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thank you!

Edited by Terry458

I was in advertising for 10 years and all we did was wrap buses ....

We got all of our printing done in Melbourne and sent to us in Sydney .... Vivad in Cambelfield. Ask for Steve. They have installers as well. I don't know if they have done high end cars, but they have been around for many years.

Make sure you only use 3M Controltac or the Avery equivalent ..... it's entirely possible that something newer is on the market (I've been out of it for about 7 years) but those 2 were the best on the market at the time and were fantastic.

Make sure that you get a high DPI print on the colour ones as if not, it will come out pixelated.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more information

I've used James Pierce at Invisible Car Bras in Melbourne and been very happy with his work. In Adelaide, you can't go past Tim Allison at Winguard. Tim regularly does interstate work too. 

I'm talking clear film installers here.  No idea about coloured wraps.

Edited by mhh

www.invisiblecarbras.com.au

talk to james.   Ferntree Gully Road.

Great job.   A few of us have now had him do our cars, and I am pretty sure everyone has come away happy.

Plus if need be he will come to you...

Can't help you with the coloured wrap, but I do know "tintacar" are now doing that sort of stuff.

Edited by Niko

Hey Legends,

I wanted to get my GT4 wrapped in a clear protective film:

1. Do you know anyone in Melbourne/VIC that has experience with wrapping Porsches or other prestige makes?

2. I have other cars I’d like to wrap in a coloured wrap.  Any good referrals or past experiences..?

3. Can anyone think of any negatives to having this done in general to a new Porsche (skills required, excessive costs etc)?

Love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thank you!

Negatives are installers cutting on the car - i.e. they use your car as the cutting surface. You won't know that they have done this till you remove the wrap because it is all covered up.The right way to do it is to design and cut the sheets of film on a plotter/cutter. But a lot of the business do it the cheap and quick way. Always ask if they cut on the car, if they are honest, they will tell you. That is why I have been hesitant in getting it done. Most shops will only have the patterns for the front of the car from the film manufacturer  - if you want to do the whole car then they will just lay the film and cut on the car. There is only one shop in Sydney that doesn't do this but he charges twice the normal rate - circa $6500.

Great info guys, thank you.   

I will make some calls and be sure to update with findings. Cheers

Negatives are installers cutting on the car - i.e. they use your car as the cutting surface. You won't know that they have done this till you remove the wrap because it is all covered up.The right way to do it is to design and cut the sheets of film on a plotter/cutter. But a lot of the business do it the cheap and quick way. Always ask if they cut on the car, if they are honest, they will tell you. That is why I have been hesitant in getting it done. Most shops will only have the patterns for the front of the car from the film manufacturer  - if you want to do the whole car then they will just lay the film and cut on the car. There is only one shop in Sydney that doesn't do this but he charges twice the normal rate - circa $6500.

Oh wow. Exactly the kind of experienced-based info people would need.  Never would have thought of that.  Thank you!

XPEL have precut templates for Porsches including GT4 (ie no cutting on the car).  The Melbourne licensee does alot of work at Zagames but has done 991GT3RS, 981Spyder and GT4.  Contact Mat on 0425 783 068.  Plus the self healing qualities are pretty cool.  

Edited by vin

XPEL have precut templates for Porsches including GT4 (ie no cutting on the car).  The Melbourne licensee does alot of work at Zagames but has done 991GT3RS, 981Spyder and GT4.  Contact Mat on 0425 783 068.  Plus the self healing qualities are pretty cool.  

Do they have templates to do the whole car or just the front section? When I inquired with carcareproducts.com.au (the australian distributor) and Xpel USA themselves a few months ago, both said that they only had templates for the front sections not the whole car. When I asked carcareproducts if they would cut on the car, they said they would have to. 

Edited by Apogee

Can you PM me who this is? Cheers!

I've had a full XPEL wrap on several cars and the installer always had patterns for the full car. 

I corresponded with Min from US Xpel and www.carcareproducts.com (the Australian distributor) shortly after buying my Spyder in Sept/Oct. Unless both parties are lying to me or things have changed in that time, the answer from both of them is that they only have patterns for the fronts. 

It could be that your installer hasn't been truthful to you or he has done the patterns for the rest of the car himself.

Can you PM me who this is? Cheers!

http://www.clear-shield.com.au/

Edited by Apogee

I corresponded with Ming from US Xpel and www.carcareproducts.com (the Australian distributor) shortly after buying my Spyder in Sept/Oct. Unless both parties are lying to me or things have changed in that time, the answer from both of them is that they only have patterns for the fronts. 

It could be that your installer hasn't been truthful to you or he has done the patterns for the rest of the car himself.

http://www.clear-shield.com.au/

I'll ask my guy.

Maybe it's a problem with older cars. XPEL have full patterns on all new Porsches (I thought) on their system before the new models even arrive in Australia. Same with other brands. I've watched the pieces come off the plotter. My installer is in Adelaide. He will travel to Melbourne...

Edited by mhh

I'll ask my guy.

Maybe it's a problem with older cars. XPEL have full patterns on all new Porsches (I thought) on their system before the new models even arrive in Australia. Same with other brands. I've watched the pieces come off the plotter. My installer is in Adelaide. He will travel to Melbourne...

Can you ask if they have it for the 2011 987.2 Boxster Spyder please?

Tim at Winguard has everything for the 987.2 Spyder except the rear guards and decklid. He can create a pattern for those without cutting on the car. In fact, he can make a pattern off an Adelaide car and come and fit it or send it to your installer. How's that for service? :)

Re the OP's GT4, XPEL certainly have the full pattern on them. I've got a full XPEL wrap on my GT4.

Edited by mhh

Do they have templates to do the whole car or just the front section? When I inquired with carcareproducts.com.au (the australian distributor) and Xpel USA themselves a few months ago, both said that they only had templates for the front sections not the whole car. When I asked carcareproducts if they would cut on the car, they said they would have to. 

Agree with mhh.  They usually have the whole car template for newer Porsches eg 981 GT4, Spyder and 991RS 

981 GT4: http://www.xpel.com/search-coverage-options/XPEL_North_America/Passenger_Cars_and_Light_Trucks/2016/Porsche/Cayman/GT4/

981 Spyder: http://www.xpel.com/search-coverage-options/XPEL_North_America/Passenger_Cars_and_Light_Trucks/2016/Porsche/Boxster/Spyder/

991 GT3RS: http://www.xpel.com/search-coverage-options/XPEL_North_America/Passenger_Cars_and_Light_Trucks/2016/Porsche/911/GT3_RS/ 

For the 987 they do not have a specific Spyder template so would only be able to use precut pieces for the front sections that are common with the base/S model: http://www.xpel.com/search-coverage-options/XPEL_North_America/Passenger_Cars_and_Light_Trucks/2010/Porsche/Boxster/S/

Edited by vin

Tim at Winguard has everything for the 987.2 Spyder except the rear guards and decklid. He can create a pattern for those without cutting on the car. In fact, he can make a pattern off an Adelaide car and come and fit it or send it to your installer. How's that for service? :)

Re the OP's GT4, XPEL certainly

Thanks Mhh. How do I get in touch with Tim?

I had my Spyder wrapped just 10 days ago by Invisible CarBras in Melbourne. I took the car to them to ensure the best possible dust free outcome. Front end (bar, guards, bonnet, mirrors), door handle cups and door sills. They had a Spyder template but they can also make templates - they use butter paper and a pencil, then they digitize it, turn it into a CAD template and then cut the film on a plotter, just like a regular template. Cutting film on a car sounds dodgy to me, walk away from anyone doing that.

I had to take the car back to get one of the sills redone as it bubbled - the sill has a number of complex curves. The bar also has a slight line in it that may mean the bar has to get done again. No arguments from the owner, if you arent happy with the work he will redo it for you. 

I am on the fence about the work and I am not ready to recommend these guys. Lets see how the work heals, I am overseas until mid Feb so when I am back its either better or I take it back. 

Also heads up - white is the toughest car to wrap for obvious reasons

Dave

Edited by Ozvino

Group buy mate? I might be interested pending price, for front at least. Maybe @Ozvino too?

Will get a price and let you know. The only problem is who to get to do it up here. I'm not sure the installers up here would be keen on installing someone else's patterns.

Thanks Mhh. How do I get in touch with Tim?

Ring Tim Allison on his mobile 0414 236 932

Tim started doing PPF installs as a sideline at his Splash Car Wash business in Glen Osmond several  years ago and was trained by James from Invisible Car Bras. He quickly found he had a skill for it and word spread amongst his customers. Pretty soon, just about every new Porsche, Aston, Ferrari etc was doing the trip to Splash for a clear wrap. Business has grown to the point where Tim just sold his car wash and has set up a new business Winguard and moved into new premises at Edwardstown last month to focus on paint protection film installation. You can find it on Facebook. A website will no doubt come in time.

Tim often trains XPEL installers from other states. He's good. His reputation is such that he and his sidekick Ratinder are often in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane doing work. But PPF is as much art as science. It isn't possible to achieve 100% perfection when you are applying film to a car with all its curves and panel joins etc, but it is still worth doing for the incredible protection it gives from stone chips and minor scrapes. The skill of the installer is more important than the brand of film. And the willingness to make good any problems is essential. 

Apogee, Tim can refer you to a local installer (I'm not sure where you live) who he trusts who would be happy to install. Or he'll do it in your home city on his next visit. 

Edited by mhh
Corrected phone number

I had to take the car back to get one of the sills redone as it bubbled - the sill has a number of complex curves. The bar also has a slight line in it that may mean the bar has to get done again. No arguments from the owner, if you arent happy with the work he will redo it for you. 

I am on the fence about the work and I am not ready to recommend these guys. Lets see how the work heals, I am overseas until mid Feb so when I am back its either better or I take it back. 

Also heads up - white is the toughest car to wrap for obvious reasons

Dave

Sorry to hear that Dave, I have to say mine also had to go back to have some imperfections taken out.   Second time around I couldn't be happier.   I agree what mhh says also, re 100% perfection.  There still are a couple of minor imperfections on mine, but you have to look pretty hard to find them.

I'm sure James will sort it out for you Dave, and I will be also be disappointed if it doesn't come up to expectations.

I just had my front bar redone by invisible carbra`s due to a glancing roo strike and branch tear, very happy with the result, but even happier that 20,000 km of driving behind and around sticky tyred cars the paint underneath was perfect.The film can`t possibly look as blemish free as a cut and polished paint job, but unless pointed out and not under flouro lights it`s pretty hard to spot.

Ring Tim Allison on his mobile 0414 236 932. Tell him Mark Hender sent you. 

Tim started doing PPF installs as a sideline at his Splash Car Wash business in Glen Osmond several  years ago and was trained by James from Invisible Car Bras. He quickly found he had a skill for it and word spread amongst his customers. Pretty soon, just about every new Porsche, Aston, Ferrari etc was doing the trip to Splash for a clear wrap. Business has grown to the point where Tim just sold his car wash and has set up a new business Winguard and moved into new premises at Edwardstown last month to focus on paint protection film installation. You can find it on Facebook. A website will no doubt come in time.

Tim often trains XPEL installers from other states. He's good. His reputation is such that he and his sidekick Ratinder are often in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane doing work. But PPF is as much art as science. It isn't possible to achieve 100% perfection when you are applying film to a car with all its curves and panel joins etc, but it is still worth doing for the incredible protection it gives from stone chips and minor scrapes. The skill of the installer is more important than the brand of film. And the willingness to make good any problems is essential. 

Apogee, Tim can refer you to a local installer (I'm not sure where you live) who he trusts who would be happy to install. Or he'll do it in your home city on his next visit. 

Thanks Mark!