AGENT ORANGE 911 OUTLAW/CHEV V8

Niko

Ahh so good! Amazed the Chev weighs 40lbs less than the flat 6, also surprised there's not  many around who've ventured into V8 hotrod territory in Aust over the past years with lower cost alloy V8's readily available ... maybe engineering cost prohibitive in general re complying with the powers that be

Ahh so good! Amazed the Chev weighs 40lbs less than the flat 6, also surprised there's not  many around who've ventured into V8 hotrod territory in Aust over the past years with lower cost alloy V8's readily available ... maybe engineering cost prohibitive in general re complying with the powers that be

Does that include the water and everything associated with a water cooled car..... all that for only 343 hp..... :P

Love it

“I built this car as a go-fast no frills fun car for the track. No radio, no heat, no air conditioning, no driver assists, no ABS. But it cost me so darn much to create this that I don’t think I’ll race it. I might take it to the track just once or twice, see what it’ll do.” :lol:

The thing is a bloody monster.   and I agree the weight difference for the motor is a plus and very surprising.

And yeah, I agree ANF, what a great quote, 

Tthe engine weight difference is a bit fuzzy,  according to these sources 

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/ls1ls6.html

"2001 Totally Dressed Engine Weight"
Auto - 457.6
Manual (LS1 & LS6) - 497.2

Rennlister Peter Zimmerman:  '82/83 SC engine as 190kg (419 lbs) and an '86 Carrera engine as 219 kg (483 lbs).

I don't see 40lbs here but that could be the difference in intake, A/C,  auto/manual etc,  The real difference is where the mass is centered, low on a flat 6, higher on the v8.  generally the body needs to be modified to fit the v8.  Perhaps this is more common in  the US with more donor cars being available AND cars being more affordable.

Tthe engine weight difference is a bit fuzzy,  according to these sources 

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/ls1ls6.html

"2001 Totally Dressed Engine Weight"
Auto - 457.6
Manual (LS1 & LS6) - 497.2

Rennlister Peter Zimmerman:  '82/83 SC engine as 190kg (419 lbs) and an '86 Carrera engine as 219 kg (483 lbs).

I don't see 40lbs here but that could be the difference in intake, A/C,  auto/manual etc,  The real difference is where the mass is centered, low on a flat 6, higher on the v8.  generally the body needs to be modified to fit the v8.  Perhaps this is more common in  the US with more donor cars being available AND cars being more affordable.

The only way to definitively know is to weigh the car before and after, and make sure that only the engine swap mods are done so you can compare the 2. I would be very surprised if it was actually lighter overall, and an 8 cylinder has to have more weight to the rear of the car over a 6.

The car and work done does look nice, just not something I would do......

Putting a radiator up front is a good way to balance things a bit.  If you were to build a car from scratch on a modest budget, LS motors are great bang for buck and you might  have some coin left over after it's fitted.   Also, there are plenty of go fast parts for an LS   Easily get 500+ reliable hp,  That's $$$$ in Porker money

Reece @Mr_RJP is doing the LS conversion on his car. He got a shell without any drivetrain, so I think it is actually costing him much less than what an unknown second hand Porsche engine and gearbox would cost. All that with cheaper parts, and way more power. 

As you say, not for purists, but great bang for buck.

I love the sound of the flat six so much more than I did the V8's I've had. Not to say I wouldn't have a V8 again but not in a Porsche.

Even the boxster has plenty of options for implant in it's own family. 

True, though Edmonson was before them 

His car restored and for sale

http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/id/2069

Fook. 250 large! And it's NOT eligible for historics as the add says.

Putting a radiator up front is a good way to balance things a bit.  If you were to build a car from scratch on a modest budget, LS motors are great bang for buck and you might  have some coin left over after it's fitted.   Also, there are plenty of go fast parts for an LS   Easily get 500+ reliable hp,  That's $$$$ in Porker money

Stick one in a 996 or 997 Radiator already in there so half the work done. You'd knock over a V8 install in a long weekend.

Fook. 250 large! And it's NOT eligible for historics as the add says.

I thought that meself. Was my dads favourite race car when we used to watch it on ABC or ch 7 many years ago

Archived