The Things You do for Mates...

Rob

A mate of mine has embarked on an 8 week O/S holiday.  Before he went, I reminded him that it would be bad to leave his Cayman S sitting un-driven for that amount of time.  According to Internet knowledge, this could exacerbate IMS or other damage...  So - I had no choice but to offer accommodation and exercise for his Cayman, at no charge, for the duration of his holiday. 

So -here it is, being baby-sat in the top garage whilst the 952 has been relegated to the hoist in the bottom garage.  I don't think the 952 is very happy about this turn of events, as every drive of the Cayman is one the 952 doesn't get.  Interesting to compare the two drives, back to back.  I've done only one so far, so too soon to elaborate - but I must say - the Cayman is verrrry nice, in a modern, 21st century kind of way. 

IMG_20170425_160034.jpg

IMG_20170425_160120.jpg

IMG_20170425_160131.jpg

@Rob I'm going to Europe later in the year for 4 weeks. My 911 will need exercising.  You're welcome to come and stay at mine and drive the car. But I also need you to walk the pooch, weed the garden, put the bins out, and clean up the dog crap. I'll put clean sheets on the spare bed. I have foxtel and internet.

Stew

Great offer, hard to resist, but I'm sure the timing will coincide with my Vietnam/Cambodia trip... And - before any of you ask - my son will be exercising the stable;)

Stew

Great offer, hard to resist, but I'm sure the timing will coincide with my Vietnam/Cambodia trip... And - before any of you ask - my son will be exercising the stable;)

Damn.

Any other takers?  I'll even leave a slab of VB in the cupboard.

@Rob I'm going to Europe later in the year for 4 weeks. My 911 will need exercising.  You're welcome to come and stay at mine and drive the car. But I also need you to walk the pooch, weed the garden, put the bins out, and clean up the dog crap. I'll put clean sheets on the spare bed. I have foxtel and internet.

Any instant meals in the fridge?

I've bought an old skool scissor lift ... Gold Coast. Been bought to give to an old Skool semi retired Porsche mechanic. Reg Percy . Can't stand seeing him clambering around at his age on his hands and knees

can anyone assist in getting it from Gold Coast to anywhere south? Ideally canberra but Sydney ok also and I'll collect and drive it to bermqgui 

Apologies for thread drift

• 1 month later...

Seven weeks into Cayman minding, I've accumulated an appreciation for the mid-engined beastie.

What I like:

How it looks (even though it's silver)

How it sounds (even though it has a standard exhaust)

How it points into a corner (oh yes!)

Responsiveness of the engine (there all the time, unlike a 944T) :P

What I don't like:

Extremely noisy on coarse or fine chip bitumen (Pilot Super Sports) Are they all like this or is it just the tyres?

Can't see the engine! (Even worse than a W/C 911 in this regard, and most A/C 911s aren't much better!)

Poor access to engine mechanicals

Niggling worry re IMS, bore chunking etc...

Should be going back to its owner next week! :(

I've only ever been in one but had the same issue with the road noise (might've had the same tyres?)

I saw this the other day and thought you'd be all over it - https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2007/SSE-AD-4576552/?Cr=0

Road noise is one issue i don't really have, I run Yokoharma tyres, I really like the Cayman, I put a Carnewal Gt exhaust on it otherwise its stock. Extremely comfortable on the open road, amazing in hard cornering, good brakes, killer looks.

I have just bought an SC as I do want the AC experience, once I have some miles under my belt I will be able to decide on which one is the one.

I think that it might be a case of owning both, drove the Cayman a bit today and was once again impressed, it is a very together car, classy to drive around in, very civilised, excellent value for the money.

Archived