FRONT ENGINED GET TOGETHER OR DRIVE

944 Geek

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updates ... PCGC will be bringing down a brand new 991 straight from their showroom floor. Which itinerant - no idea, but whichever, I'm sure it's gonna be great. Can't think of a better way to start the weekend. ?

Updates ... PCGC will be bringing down a brand new 991 straight from their showroom floor. Which itinerant - no idea, but whichever, I'm sure it's gonna be great. Can't think of a better way to start the weekend. ?

You bunch of lucky buggers :) 

Does it still have its engine in the wrong place?

I certainly think so. But its slowly evolving, its now water cooled, just wait another 30 years and I'm sure they'll relocate it to the front. Afterall the 911 is evolutionary rather than revolutionary. 

Update gents. Porsche have informed me that they will be bringing down some merchandise to giveaway to some lucky people. How kind of them. Get down early and get your hands on some goodies. ?

Sounds good. Can we get a roll-call of front engined people heading down on Saturday?

Men, I'll wait & see how the weather is going to pan out, supposed to be cosmically wet over the weekend.

cheers,

Jason

OMG! That is crazy. Surely that's not normal?

No it's not normal, my MAF is over in the states at the moment getting rebuilt and it apparently was a mile out of calibration, the working limit is 40 something's and mine measured at over 100 so expecting improvements across the board. Unfortunately I won't have the part back for the weekend so it will have to be next time, I wouldn't dare bring the 911.....hope you guys have a blast

No it's not normal, my MAF is over in the states at the moment getting rebuilt and it apparently was a mile out of calibration, the working limit is 40 something's and mine measured at over 100 so expecting improvements across the board. Unfortunately I won't have the part back for the weekend so it will have to be next time, I wouldn't dare bring the 911.....hope you guys have a blast

Paul

How do you determine if MAF is an issue and where did you send it? What kind of cost is involved with a re build. You would think someone in more local could do that kind of work.

Brian in Buddina

Hey Paul - doesn't the 928 have an AFM (barn-door type Air Flow Meter) as standard?  With MAFs (Mass Air Flow sensor) you just buy a new one from Bosch for $300 or so and off you go.

Men, I'll wait & see how the weather is going to pan out, supposed to be cosmically wet over the weekend.

cheers,

Jason

Yes good point Jason, it is looking pretty horrific. I will see how it looks on Friday evening before deciding to definitely go.

As long as the specs for your car (ROW) were the same for US cars that should fix things.

Be careful though - I got caught out buying an AFM and DME  from the US thinking only the chip would be different but the DME was different. It's now a paper weight.

Weather looks a bit iffy this Saturday, however I will bring the 968 along to the next front engine get together. Didn't see it until too late last Saturday.

Welcome to the forum, show us your car,we like pictures here.:)

Paul

How do you determine if MAF is an issue and where did you send it? What kind of cost is involved with a re build. You would think someone in more local could do that kind of work.

Brian in Buddina

I just knew that they were subject to falling out of calibration and the car wasn't running 100 percent so just decided to get it done. They repair them in such a way that they will then stay in spec. Probably could get it done locally but injector labs in Colorado have a good reputation. Cost will be close to $600 Aussie by the time I pay freight.

They are a hot wire MAF and I have seen them second hand for around $350 US but they would probably still need to be calibrated unless you were really lucky

Weather looks a bit iffy this Saturday, however I will bring the 968 along to the next front engine get together. Didn't see it until too late last Saturday.

That's cool. Maybe we can all get together next Saturday maybe in meet in Hawthorne for a coffee then a drive up to Mt Tamborine or Canungra for breakfast? Some nice twisty roads out there. (No good for 911 drivers!)

Hey guys, if this Saturday is a wash-out how about the following Saturday we meet up somewhere for coffee (Hawthorne garage?) then a drive to Mt Tamborine or Canungra (The Outpost cafe is legendary) for breakfast. Some nice twisty roads out there. Just the thing for cars with their engine in the right place!

Love 968's. Can't wait to see it.

I certainly think so. But its slowly evolving, its now water cooled, just wait another 30 years and I'm sure they'll relocate it to the front. Afterall the 911 is evolutionary rather than revolutionary. 

You should really try and get some help to try and get over your obvious inferiority complex

just think in 10 or 20 years we will all be driving electric scooters to the shops to get groceries, and todays toddlers won't be interested in your car no matter which end the motors is in.

Oh no I'll be dropping Tesla running gear in and croooosing!

You should really try and get some help to try and get over your obvious inferiority complex

You know we're kidding right? My brother had a 2.7 Carrera Targa back in the mid 80s and a 308GTS Ferrari. Two more different cars you couldn't get! I enjoyed driving them both but the 911 gave some bum clenching moments on damp roads and I was used to driving rear engined cars. My first car was a Purvis Eureka with a Toyota twin cam engine. A little 680kg rocket ship that taught me all about balancing oversteer with power!

Archived