Tasmanian Experience

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't do more than 50 up the main st...though I got off with an official warning because of my good behaviour ?

Most times that would not be possible, too many traffic lights and usually fairly congested. 

Now don't you all go and get the wrong idea.... we don't want you all speeding thinking you will get let off :)

Most times that would not be possible, too many traffic lights and usually fairly congested. 

Now don't you all go and get the wrong idea.... we don't want you all speeding thinking you will get let off :)

On my last trip over,  Monday morning peak hour and not a car on the road between the two sets of lights in the main drag at Launceston.  Traffic!  pfft. ;)

The plods at Strahan are a friendly bunch.  The breatho was set up heading towards the pub.  I guess they were just stopping people to be sociable.

Great pics! Just normal daily roads to me. :-P

Regarding the boat and securing the cars - they lock the wheels down with chains when you're not there and they remove them before you get the car. Nice big chain dragging scratch marks on those wheels.

Good to see your car's as dirty as all of ours were by the time we got back ?

Great roads, definitely going back next year. Still got some paint left of the front bar that needs to be worn off by @turboT's chewing gum boots ??

Dirty? That ain't dirty!

just booked my car in for some....after tassie beauty treatment with Ron Goodman. Really nice bloke

How many name drops before you get your agreed discount?

How many name drops before you get your agreed discount?

tow truck pick up from Bronte to his shop near Paramatta and delivered back to my house 3 days later. Sort out all the Tassie damage, full detail,  fix driverside door strap and get some stone guards fitted......$1000. 

Last time I had to pay for a tow truck it was $400. Recon I'm getting a good deal. 

tow truck pick up from Bronte to his shop near Paramatta and delivered back to my house 3 days later. Sort out all the Tassie damage, full detail,  fix driverside door strap and get some stone guards fitted......$1000. 

Last time I had to pay for a tow truck it was $400. Recon I'm getting a good deal. 

That does not sound like your average arm's length deal ;). Did he say you'd get the car back?

On my last trip over,  Monday morning peak hour and not a car on the road between the two sets of lights in the main drag at Launceston.  Traffic!  pfft. ;)

The plods at Strahan are a friendly bunch.  The breatho was set up heading towards the pub.  I guess they were just stopping people to be sociable.

Launceston.... enough said :Chuckle2:

Regarding the boat and securing the cars - they lock the wheels down with chains when you're not there and they remove them before you get the car. Nice big chain dragging scratch marks on those wheels.

Really? Never heard of this and it would negate all the damage that you see from rough seas?

One point to note, check your insurance fine print as they used to not cover you for when your car was transported over water... it may have changed, but.....

I was told by a friend that worked on the Spirit boats years ago that they put a chain line through the wheels after the lower area is locked and removed before you get the cars. How true that is now I don't know after seeming some articles. But then again, surely they wouldn't want all that weight shifting about down below.. it could upset the balance of the boat.

Someone will know. Any Devonport Porsche people online?

Nothing wrong with those photos :) 

I am still wanting to take my car down, but don't want to drive all the way from Brisbane.. considering trucking it to Melb but still worried about transport people punishing it for being too low...

Just do it Mike.  They'll just charge you a couple of extra bux.  Don't let that stop you.

How safe is the car on the ship.  I have a trip booked later in the year (September) and a bit worried about the car on the boat if the weather is a bit rough.  Do they secure them in some fashion or are they just parked one behind the other with handbrake on.  What clearance is required getting on and off? Any feedback or advice would be welcomed

Personally I would not give it a second thought.  I've had my lowered GT3 over there 3 times and never had an issue.  Just ask for the upper deck if you can as has been suggested but I'm sure you'll be right either way.  As for cars coming loose in heavy seas, IMHO, that ain't going to happen.  Too many reasons why the operator would never let it happen.  If its that rough they won't sail.  Otherwise book, travel and enjoy with no concerns.  If you're inclined to worry, then concerns yourself with wildlife hits, either dead on the road already, or live ones at dusk or dawn.  Just get down there...

If you're inclined to worry, then concerns yourself with wildlife hits, either dead on the road already, or live ones at dusk or dawn.  Just get down there...

Yes we had a trip down there a couple of years ago.  We hired an SUV.  Went to a place at Cradle Mountain for dinner one night.  When leaving the waiter said what room shall I charge it to. We said no room as driving home about 20 minutes up the road.  He gave us a strange look and said be careful there are a lot of animals out there.  We thought how odd to say this.  Hoped in the car and backed out of the car spot and that is when there was a "thunk".  I had just run over a wallaby (had only moved 2 meters).  My god it was like Noah had put out the call to come to the Ark.  We drove home at around 5 - 10 kph (if that). it took an hour and a half.  No other cars spotted.  My friend was pointing out all the various animals (every variety) and I was driving around them.  Luckily we did not hit another one but we must have dodged at least 500 that night.  Do not drive at night in remote Tassie was what I learnt that night

It does not need to be remote, we have fresh road kill on the road just about every day a few hundred metres up the road..... the ones lying down already can do more damage than the upright ones!

As for cars coming loose in heavy seas, IMHO, that ain't going to happen.  Too many reasons why the operator would never let it happen.  

Maybe you missed this story?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/ferry-rough-night-on-spirit-of-tasmania-leaves-trucks-cars-smashed-20160504-golshc.html

1462339581909.jpg

1462339581909.jpg

1462339581909.jpg

^ lol. Shit happens and IMHO that's very unlikely. More chance of crashing it on the way to the port. Didn't stop you going and nor would it stop me. I wonder what the conversation was after that event in terms of why it happenened and how it won't happen again.

In the end you have 2 choices. Go or not.

Didn't stop you going and nor would it stop me. I wonder what the conversation was after that event in terms of why it happenened and how it won't happen again.

In the end you have 2 choices. Go or not.

Agreed, seems a freak incident, wouldn't stop me from going again. I actually only read that article on our way back after the captain announced we were expecting 30 knott winds. The boat was very rocky to the point where we couldn't sleep, cars were fine with no movement at all.

Few years ago we came back on the ferry one night with what was described as a 4m almost head on swell.  Boat was crashing up and down, we were way up front in our room (furthest from the axis), our then 2yr old was getting almost airborne.  Car was fine. 

We had a WILD storm en route to Targa Tas in 2002 I think.  Boat trashed, lots of cars damaged etc etc

I almost didn't start the event I was so ill (during and afterwards).  Still remember the giant horse needle later the Tassie Dr gave me whilst he chuckled away.  I arrived home 7 kgs lighter - on a plane not a boat.  

I will never ever step foot on that godforsaken boat again.

We had a WILD storm en route to Targa Tas in 2002 I think.  Boat trashed, lots of cars damaged etc etc

I almost didn't start the event I was so ill (during and afterwards).  Still remember the giant horse needle later the Tassie Dr gave me whilst he chuckled away.  I arrived home 7 kgs lighter - on a plane not a boat.  

I will never ever step foot on that godforsaken boat again.

Wow. Unbeknownst to me this boat is a killer.

Archived