997.1 S

raafrebel

Hi...

I just bought a 997.1 S.....with 65,000km. What a machine! 

few questions,

Does the so called IMS issues affect 3.8 motors? 2005 model

Can u convert standard factory music system to take bluetooth for playing music or do u have to buy an upgraded deck. It has BOSE speakers that sound amazing with CDs but would like to listen to iTunes..

Can u tune auto gearbox to change quicker? (yes, I'm a hoon)

Has anyone gained more power with exults and airbox mods? is there a cheaper exuast system other than spending mega bucks on fabspeed? can you tune the standard ECU when u add open airbox ? 

super happy with the standard suspension, and the magic button works well and stiffens the car up fine. 

One thing for sure is that you get one hell of a car for 80k. 

Sorry can't help with questions but there's one on car sales which is making me go what a machine as well!! - 69k km - wants $80k.....

If it was black I'd be in full - "oh go on" mode with the Mrs.....

For the audio - Get a Tranzit Blu HF, I installed mine on the diagnostic circuit with a separate fuse (just in case) It plugs in line to the antenna and you tune it to an FM station. It auto pairs when the car starts and even displays the ID3 tag of the song on the dash.  There's a button for answer call/skip song/pair device too.

Cheaper than the $2000 Alpine systems, and better than the $300 android based eBay special head units that cause all sorts of codes when you plug into PIWIS

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iSimple-ISFM2351-Tranzit-BLU-HF-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Kit-with-Audio-Streaming-/161890148074

and Einsteiny on here has a 2005 Carrera S that he just got the IMS Solution fitted to, maybe flick him a PM (he recommended the Tranzit Blu to me as well, and I fitted one to my Cayenne)

For the audio - Get a Tranzit Blu HF, I installed mine on the diagnostic circuit with a separate fuse (just in case) It plugs in line to the antenna and you tune it to an FM station. It auto pairs when the car starts and even displays the ID3 tag of the song on the dash.  There's a button for answer call/skip song/pair device too.

Cheaper than the $2000 Alpine systems, and better than the $300 android based eBay special head units that cause all sorts of codes when you plug into PIWIS

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iSimple-ISFM2351-Tranzit-BLU-HF-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Kit-with-Audio-Streaming-/161890148074

and Einsteiny on here has a 2005 Carrera S that he just got the IMS Solution fitted to, maybe flick him a PM (he recommended the Tranzit Blu to me as well, and I fitted one to my Cayenne)

thank you! 

I'm no tech guru so can auto electrician fit it up? 

Im so useless with tech sh!t , i have trouble even posting a pic of my new car... :) 

Sorry can't help with questions but there's one on car sales which is making me go what a machine as well!! - 69k km - wants $80k.....

If it was black I'd be in full - "oh go on" mode with the Mrs.....

If u have the funds.... buy it. the S model is soooo much better than standard carrera. I almost bought a standard 911 that was in top nick but this one came up with camel interior and i couldn't say no... 

as i said, incredible car for 80k. i got it up to 200km\h on the cann river road and it was effortless. just as much fun as hooning on my bikes..but i don't get cold!! 

Mods wise, i assume you have the tiptronic? You can get a tcu tune or if you are wanting to spend more get a beefed up valve body which will make the shifts quicker.

There's a few tuning options you can go with. I have a Cobb Accessport which works really well.

Cheapest exhaust mod would be the gundo hack. Have a goofle.

Happy hooning :)

It's pretty simple to install if you wanted to have a go yourself and get someone to wire up a power circuit for you (which is what I did) and just saved the money pulling the dash apart myself. I think it's easier in a 911 too

997.1 s had an upgraded IMS that has a very low failure rate engine numbers 68509791 and above are fitted with the upgraded large single row bearing ,the ims cover has the 22mm nut ,,,,, cars that  are heavily tracked generally are more pron to failure ,,,,,change the oil regularly with quality oil and enjoy the car ,,,they are pretty bullet proof and I have had zero issues with mine .........

this is a good read 

http://autohaushamilton.com.au/news/ims-bearing-the-facts-made-simple

Hi...

I just bought a 997.1 S.....with 65,000km. What a machine! 

few questions,

Does the so called IMS issues affect 3.8 motors? 2005 model

Can u convert standard factory music system to take bluetooth for playing music or do u have to buy an upgraded deck. It has BOSE speakers that sound amazing with CDs but would like to listen to iTunes..

Can u tune auto gearbox to change quicker? (yes, I'm a hoon)

Has anyone gained more power with exults and airbox mods? is there a cheaper exuast system other than spending mega bucks on fabspeed? can you tune the standard ECU when u add open airbox ? 

super happy with the standard suspension, and the magic button works well and stiffens the car up fine. 

One thing for sure is that you get one hell of a car for 80k. 

IMS - Yes your car has a larger non removable/serviceable IMS bearing so don't worry about it as the only way to upgrade it is to take apart the engine!

Bluetooth you have two options:

- FM transmitter (as Rus has mentioned) - easy to install - car antenna into the unit and then unit to head unit and positive and negative wires. Or cig lighter option

- Dension Gateway 500 fibre optic solution (the Dension model you require will depend on what factory head unit you have) - difficult to install and very costly but the best quality  

Air box: Porsche didn't leave much on the table in the way of power gains from an air box IMO but my advice is stay clear of pod filter style air boxes as they suck in hot air from your engine bay however for the 997 there might be an X51 option

Exhaust - they are usually big bucks - again stay away from the cheaper exhausts

DME remap or "tune" - only needed when you add bigger throttle body and aftermarket headers, cats and mufflers

My advice would be to check out the IPD product range rather than air box modifications

Keep us posted!

That's chock full of errors and a poor reflection on Autohaus.

Rebel,  With your Tip I suggest the first thing you do is replace the fluid and filter before you do anything assuming it hasn't been replaced recently.  You might find that firms up the shift to your liking and it needs nothing else.

If you want to worry* about something M96/M97, bore scoring is a better topic than IMS.  Apparently its the principal concern for the 3.8 engine.  Hartech in UK (generally regarded as the benchmark for 996 / 997 / Boxster / Cayman engine fixes) have some interesting material on the subject...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/898363-bore-scoring-3-8-997-1-and-early-3-4-caymans-more-common-says-hartech.html

http://www.porscheinspections.com/content/downloads/M96_M97_GTPorsche.pdf

*thus optional

only early model 997.1 has the changeable IMS.

Post late 2005, the IMS are not changeable unless you rebuild the entire motor.

Any chance I can check out the sydney 997s with Gundo hack? I want to do it, but dont want the car too loud =)

only early model 997.1 has the changeable IMS.

Post late 2005, the IMS are not changeable unless you rebuild the entire motor.

Any chance I can check out the sydney 997s with Gundo hack? I want to do it, but dont want the car too loud =)

I have the fister D mod on my 997 s all the details in the link below .....:D

thanks for your imput guys.. 

as soon as i can i will get the gearbox serviced. do i have to take to porsche or can a automatic shop be able to change oil and filter? is this done in regular servicing?

• 2 weeks later...

When to do a fister D or Gundo Hack you can,t hear the airbox mod .................:D You just hear exhaust note ,,,I did that first also then changed it back after the Fister D mufflers got installed  

• 7 months later...

Archived