Tesla 3

So the model for the masses. the Torana of Teslas is almost with us.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/teslas-cheapest-car-yet-is-just-about-ready-to-be-shipped-to-customers/news-story/4dbfd294db9f5f051b78478b61fada5c

Tesla says the five-seat car will be able to go 346 kilometres on a single charge and will be sporty, accelerating from zero to 60 miles per hour in under six seconds.

My question is , and I have no personal idea , are electric cars "sporty" on normal roads? Or is it a bit of a full sized Scalextric experience? And when driver aids prevent those little "moments" , is it more than just a Dreamworld G force kind of experience?  

For me , sights , sounds and a hint of danger impart the "sporty" experience. The problem with getting older is that it takes more and more to get an adrenaline rise.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Be able to" is just like "up to" and includes much much lower numbers especially if driven in a sporty manner or you use the AC or heater which reminds me of cars from the 60's and earlier where you just had to toughen up and suffer the elements. You are right tassie they are about as sporty as grannies Camry (new age Volvo) Also nothing sporty about 5 seats. 

Personally I like it when I can smell oil (breather hose buggered) / car splutters a bit (plugs need changing) /  I change gear etc etc....

basically you can jam your electric car up your clacker Elon "Tony Stark" Musk...

This is probably not very constructive...

:)

Personally I like it when I can smell oil (breather hose buggered) / car splutters a bit (plugs need changing) /  I change gear etc etc....

basically you can jam your electric car up your clacker Elon "Tony Stark" Musk...

Yet correct

I am sure they'll have an App for that installed..., maybe even give you some 911 GT3 sound aligned to the revs coming from the speakers :)

Can you sense the the tide is going back out with Tesla car popularity?

In the US the subsidies that make a T. affordable are being slowly withdrawn. There are starting to be special taxes on them to replace the loss of petrol tax.

Musk has cut himself off from Trump and will move fully into household battery production when his cars do a "DeLorean".

Here in Melbourne T. cars have been toys for rich young-thrusters and doctors but now that the leases are running out these guys are moving on. The firm is now trying to focus on selling to women (rich WAGs) . The girl apprentice that was taken on as a diversity salesman salesperson has been put in charge of sales; but I predict that she will be selling Boxsters in the next year or two.

You would have to be very brave to buy a 2nd hand Tesla. 

I reckon Hybrid cars will fully replace Teslas in a few years.

I reckon you are right , and that they will be as collectable as Deloreans , if you are into the whole Delorean thing.

Perhaps millenials will put petrol engines into them and go banger racing..

The 3 will make or break them.

i support Tesla as something genuinely new and different in the world.  Designing and building in the us as well, makes a change from China all the time.  The subsidies suck but hopefully they can get past that.

the Delorean equivalent was the Fisker karma.

i hope they return to their roots with the original roadster and do a proper sports car.

I am sure they'll have an App for that installed..., maybe even give you some 911 GT3 sound aligned to the revs coming from the speakers :)

no GT3, but you get to impress the bogans?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKqhj8sRTTUZw1Ossikv1-D8Ip64wL9Sxm99KKgHALM5PVt7ddIWqbb4OYHmULqZLumN2ZE_vPqBge6W0Pzkj6svBM9Hmg&v=SeIj8E_53UQ

Can you sense the the tide is going back out with Tesla car popularity?

In the US the subsidies that make a T. affordable are being slowly withdrawn. There are starting to be special taxes on them to replace the loss of petrol tax.

You would have to be very brave to buy a 2nd hand Tesla. 

Surprised much?

Yep

Yep

I completely understand the vision Musk and many others have, yet for the average person, not many are sold on the idea of these battery only cars. The prices are just too much for the average punter. If their target demographic is the average driver who just uses a car to commute to work, they need to come up with a car that's 20 grand or under that will do a full week without a charge. Hybrids will always be a better option, as they provide the best of both worlds in my opinion

When we ordered my wife's Benz recently, there was a electronic fragrance option. Seriously!

The brave new virtual world is a bit sad.

It wasn't optional in ours, it was standert!

It wasn't optional in ours, it was standert!

We ticked the fragrance dispenser delete button. One less thing to go wrong and the car has better power to weight , and thus performance and economy "gains".
But then we ticked the towbar option and likely will have snap oversteer on the limit...

Towing anything with a Tesltar is gunna stuff the battery life,  in case anyone's got a 6be4 trailer for the pushbikes.

But wait...there's more.

Volvo weighing in with their plan.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/volvo-cars-joins-electric-race-with-plan-for-five-battery-models-20170705-gx5dyt.html

And my favourite part of that "Article" is " its first electric vehicle will be a Chinese-made compact car that starts deliveries in 2019"

<sarcasm> Can't wait</sarcasm>

Archived