An odd question

Guest vas930

This is interesting.

The eyes do not work like cameras, projecting "images" back to the brain, they work by seeking and extracting visual information from the environment. Furthermore, removing an eyeball from its socket would severely disrupt its proper functioning. The optic nerve, which send the signal back to the brain, is not its only connection. A normally functioning eyeball is controlled by muscles that move it about in its socket, with great frequency and great precision, and in a way that is tightly coordinated with the inflowing information from the optic nerve and the informational needs of the organism. All this coordination would be lost if the eye were removed from its socket. The brain would presumably still be sending out signals to the muscles to move the eye, but it would not be moving in accordance with those signals, but in a quite different way, controlled by the hand holding it. I should expect that the brain would have great difficulty making sense of the signals coming down the optic nerve from the disembodied eye. How that would manifest in visual experience is hard to predict, but my best guess is that, for the most part, the visual information from the disembodied eye would just be ignored by the brain as uninterpretable, and the visual experience coming from the eye still in place would predominate (that is more or less what happens in the experiments mentioned above, except that in those the information presented to each eye makes sense on its own, just not when combined with that presented to the other, so the brain switches between treating one eye and then the other as the "good," properly functioning, source.)

Guest Nick987

Not what I learnt in neurophysiology and neuropsychology at uni for 3 years Vas...nor what I took away knowledge wise from the artificial computer vision lab work Dr. Terry Caelli was doing at Melb Uni in the early '90's

At a high level, mechanically, a disembodied eyeball would be sending the same visual information to the visual cortex a socketed eye would.

Infact, the eyeball itself is merely focussing light on the retina. It is the retina that is doing alot of the preprocessing and this information is further processed along the optic nerve that transverses the brain to join the visual cortex at the back of the skull which does all the remainder of the processing along with your cerebellum and other language and memory areas.

As I stated in a previous post, the CLOSEST you can get to recreating the effect you seek is to stare directly into a mirror really close up.

You would simply see 'eyeball'.

If you want to go to some effort, get 2 small mirrors and set them into the 'corners' of a squared 'u' shaped tube at 45 degrees so both tube openings are spaced apart enough to cover each eye.

Place the apparatus over your eyes and you will see 'eyeball'.

Let me know of you want me to sketch it up for you.

I have checked with some friends that have studied physiology and neuropsych at a higher level than me and they all concur. I can see you are serious about this, if you like, I can do some digging and find more info, will take me a bit of time though, just let me know if you want me to.

This is really a simple effect and overbaking the mental excercise is not going to make it any more 'trippy' that it really is.

I can see how eyeball staring at eyeball must equal feedback loop, how intriguing, and if the optic nerves of both eyes were somehow spliced together with a way of introducing visual information into the loop, yes for a time you would get some strange visual feedback loop which would feel like staring at the same thing over and over... But I don't believe it would be anything more 'wow' than that.

Guest Nick987

I'm usually like a dog with a bone with these things, once they get into my head...I'm probably going to start asking this of optometrists, doctors, psychs...whispering the question to strangers at cocktail parties...waiters...sheesh.

Thanks Vas :D

Guys I down load weekly Dr Karls free show from the ABC on my iPhone and listen to it in my car as highly entertaining listening to people call in daily with such questions you guys are asking and he tries to resolve. This week I learnt about the Twin Paradox ie if one twin is shot into space at the speed of light for a set time and one is on earth, when the traveling twin returns to earth he will be younger than his twin (this is the brief version) which still has me blown away. Why don't you ring in and ask him - if he does not know he usually gets someone he knows to call in to solve.

Nick - mate ....what exactly do you do? I was convinced due to your straight shooting nature and profile pic you are actually 'Ice T' in disguise. Your scientific journal today now makes me think you are not Ice T which is disappointing as I kind of liked that theory.

Of all the forums of different interest i've been on over the years, i don't normally read the "off-topic" section.

And a little voice asked " i wonder what they talk about in the off-topic threads at a Porsche Forum?"

Holy crap! This is one of the funniest threads i have read!

So glad i found this.

Vas+Nick=Hilarious!

• 5 years later...
6 hours ago, LeeM said:

I'm only 6 years late to this thread, yet WTF??? ?  

don't go there..... I am still having flashbacks, nightmares and severe anxiety attacks.:ph34r:

Some things are best left unseen.... 

Archived