Thinking of importing? Have a read

Guys, as a newbie, would someone on here be able to give me an idea what the following Porsche would be worth if I sold it:

1. Red Porsche Carrera 4, 1990, guards red, about 60000 kilometres, TARGA (only 8 Targas were  imported into Australia in 1990 of which 5 were red), delivered by Hamilton Cars, second owner since new, in perfect condition (with little work would be concourse standard) EVERYTHING is original, has a/c, cruise control, etc., etc., Owned for last 15 odd years, second owner, never raced, tracked, or anything like that, black leather interior with red piping. Drives flawless, perfect condition throughout.

2. Are these cars going up in price? I know its a guess but how much per annum? If you didn't have to sell, but it's taking up space in the garage and used rarely, would you sell it, as it's an investment?

Thanks guys, as you can see I have no idea of the Porsche market but I know YOU guys will. Thanks Again! Ed

• 5 weeks later...

In the newsfeed today

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/australian-border-force-detects-asbestos-in-classic-cars-owners-risk-thousands-of-dollars-in-fines/news-story/558ae57b52f7e995237f6e3193ea62b1

"However he cautioned anyone planning to import a classic car to get it checked first.

Anybody who buys an imported classic car needs to get it inspected by an authorised asbestos expert whose qualifications are recognised by Australian authorities, otherwise you could be wasting your money importing the car in the first place,” one importer told News Corp Australia.

The Australian Border Force does not collect samples or dismantle cars suspected of containing asbestos. Instead, the importer or their broker is responsible for arranging testing by an accredited expert.

Testing for asbestos requires microscopic analysis by “an occupational hygienist”.

• 1 month later...

Hi, first post and seeing if the community can give advice.  I will be moving to NSW from Ireland and looking at the details regarding importing my '86 911 Coupe. I've owned it for almost 5 years and its in great nick. The shipping and general logistics charges is understandable 

I know no duty is payable but do customs levy the GST on the Australian market price or the invoice price (in my case a handwritten invoice from a private seller)?

Would I get hit for LCT?

Would I also need to pay stamp duty (seeing as I already own it for considerable time)?

Obviously depending on the value that the authorities place on the car to start with, the final bill can vary significantly.

Also this asbestos angle I've just read about is another curve ball.

Appreciate if someone has done similar before and can share experiences. 

Thanks

Meh.. Asbestos. Bloody everywhere.

I bet my 54' Benz is jammed packed with it in its brakes which haven't been opened for well over 30years. Better call my A class licenced removalist mate and be safe.. hopefully he will accept beer as payment again.

2 hours ago, Spadester101 said:

Hi, first post and seeing if the community can give advice.  I will be moving to NSW from Ireland and looking at the details regarding importing my '86 911 Coupe. I've owned it for almost 5 years and its in great nick. The shipping and general logistics charges is understandable 

I know no duty is payable but do customs levy the GST on the Australian market price or the invoice price (in my case a handwritten invoice from a private seller)?

Would I get hit for LCT?

Would I also need to pay stamp duty (seeing as I already own it for considerable time)?

Obviously depending on the value that the authorities place on the car to start with, the final bill can vary significantly.

Also this asbestos angle I've just read about is another curve ball.

Appreciate if someone has done similar before and can share experiences. 

Thanks

Plenty of recent thread comments on this, but the quick answer to your questions is that GST is payable on the valuation given by a local valuer here, as is stamp duty on registration (unless you go for club reg). There’s also a bucketload of random port fees to pay, all of which also attract GST. Also factor in a fee to clean it before it’s released, mine was $500 despite the car looking better than new, but it’s jut a scam in my view that you can’t get out of.

Just because you’ve owned it for 5 years and already paid tax on it elsewhere is of no interest to customs here, they want their cash off you. 

• 1 year later...

Bumping this older thread, it's been a couple years since I imported a car... I am currently in the process of importing something (not Porsche) from the states, whilst we have all the ducks in a row, asbestos continues to be an elephant in the room. 

How are people going about their declarations on older cars? Are you having any risk items such as old brakes and clutches replaced with new in order to sign off the declaration... I see testing is an option, but it could get costly quickly before anything is replaced! 

49 minutes ago, edgy said:

Bumping this older thread, it's been a couple years since I imported a car... I am currently in the process of importing something (not Porsche) from the states, whilst we have all the ducks in a row, asbestos continues to be an elephant in the room. 

How are people going about their declarations on older cars? Are you having any risk items such as old brakes and clutches replaced with new in order to sign off the declaration... I see testing is an option, but it could get costly quickly before anything is replaced! 

Just imported a bike in from the states and it breezes through . I think it pays to go with an importer who knows the secret handshake down at the docks .

21 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

Just imported a bike in from the states and it breezes through . I think it pays to go with an importer who knows the secret handshake down at the docks .

The last car I brought in, breezed right through... however, this time I am not going to use those guys since your shit seems to go around the world 10 times first. 

I am using my freight forwarder that does all my importing and we are going with a RORO service since it is much quicker and even slightly cheaper than container freight... I really just wanted to see what measures people have (or have not) been taking... but it seems to be the same old luck of the draw on this end?? 

1 hour ago, edgy said:

The last car I brought in, breezed right through... however, this time I am not going to use those guys since your shit seems to go around the world 10 times first. 

I am using my freight forwarder that does all my importing and we are going with a RORO service since it is much quicker and even slightly cheaper than container freight... I really just wanted to see what measures people have (or have not) been taking... but it seems to be the same old luck of the draw on this end?? 

Cool . Had a few bikes this year 1970 's stuff and a mate with a 911 last year had no problems . I bought a GT3 2010 muffler from OS and had problems with that (asbestos ) so go figure .