Thinking of importing? Have a read

Yup , I know this is true, with someone importing an Aston, ended up here having engine removed from a car and refitted

At great expense .. as the mechanics had to go to govt site to do it .. probably the worse cse scenario but im sure its just a new foucus , this guide has been around for some time but just the flavor of the day. Like most import issues its just about paperwork really and the Govt and paper pushers getting clear definitions on standards.

Ah great.  My 1999 996 is currently on the ship heading to Australia, due mid August.  As part of the import approval process I got my local Porsche guy to certify that the car was asbestos free but it sounds like they are being Extra Serious about it.  Lets see...

Ah great.  My 1999 996 is currently on the ship heading to Australia, due mid August.  As part of the import approval process I got my local Porsche guy to certify that the car was asbestos free but it sounds like they are being Extra Serious about it.  Lets see...

Can you keep us posted on this? Be useful information to hear first hand how it works out.

the latest...

Hi Tom,

Here's what we know about "the asbestos issue"

We have had no issue with asbestos to date but it is not under our jurisdiction or control. 

Australian Customs is an entity unto themselves and can order anything to be done to any vehicle and we are obligated to comply. From all accounts that we have heard to date there has been no successful testing done in the USA that has satisfied Customs.

The extent of possible items containing asbestos is extensive and almost impossible to eliminate. The common areas like brake pads and clutch plates may be easier to resolve but things like body filler and insulation are next to impossible to eliminate.

At this point we have been pushing forward with importing vehicles.  Australian Customs are seriously undermanned and the process is random. 

Kind regards,

Indy

• 1 month later...

Can you keep us posted on this? Be useful information to hear first hand how it works out.

Ok well I collected the car (UK 996.1 C2 1999) this afternoon from Fremantle.  There was absolutely no problems related to asbestos, I just had a letter from my mechanic in Europe which I forwarded on to the import agent (Dominic Bonasia; Personal Imports in QLD) which stated that the car had no asbestos in the brake pads, clutch, heat shielding or any other part of the chassis.  The only drama I had was the rear anchor points being factory (they were, but it took a letter from Porsche confirming this to pass) and the muppets at the dept of transport wanting to charge stamp duty.  The Import compliance garage (Pebco in Freo) pre-informed me that stamp duty wasn't payable on a vehicle you already own - even if its not Australian.  So that saved nearly $1k in itself.  Tip for West Aussies - do NOT go to the main West Perth Dept transport branch, go to the one on Leach highway, they process a lot more imports there and make it much easier.  

For anyone going through this process, I would STRONGLY recommend using an import agent.  Saves stress, time and money as they find the best shipping deals, compliance garages, and most importantly, import duty as they know the minimum car value you can get away with without attracting drama.  I estimate that using an agent (fee only ~ $400) saved me at least $2k.

Meanwhile the low mileage Oz delivered completely original including the air in the tyres local cars get off scot free.

FFS indeed!

If "they" were serious about preventing cancer , hats would be compulsory from birth to death , and alcohol & fags banned.

Don't worry taz .. duttons CTS Gosford et al also been doing a good job of sending a bit of hardies o/s 

Ok well I collected the car (UK 996.1 C2 1999) this afternoon from Fremantle.  There was absolutely no problems related to asbestos, I just had a letter from my mechanic in Europe which I forwarded on to the import agent (Dominic Bonasia; Personal Imports in QLD) which stated that the car had no asbestos in the brake pads, clutch, heat shielding or any other part of the chassis.  The only drama I had was the rear anchor points being factory (they were, but it took a letter from Porsche confirming this to pass) and the muppets at the dept of transport wanting to charge stamp duty.  The Import compliance garage (Pebco in Freo) pre-informed me that stamp duty wasn't payable on a vehicle you already own - even if its not Australian.  So that saved nearly $1k in itself.  Tip for West Aussies - do NOT go to the main West Perth Dept transport branch, go to the one on Leach highway, they process a lot more imports there and make it much easier.  

For anyone going through this process, I would STRONGLY recommend using an import agent.  Saves stress, time and money as they find the best shipping deals, compliance garages, and most importantly, import duty as they know the minimum car value you can get away with without attracting drama.  I estimate that using an agent (fee only ~ $400) saved me at least $2k.

Thanks for the update Avon - and glad you got your car in relatively hassle free.