TE911

CHEESUS, Jakroo, that is unbelievable.   Congratulations on you all getting out of that one.  

It always amazes me how quick those things unfold in front of your eyes.  

You always drive expecting stupid things to happen and think you will have enought reaction time to get out of the way,

but it doesn't matter how good your reactions are in most cases.

Buy a tattslotto ticket after that experience,  (although sounds like you might have used up all your luck) and maybe that will cover those rip off charges.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My luck has been poor of late.  In the past 4 months I was made redundant after 12+ years with one of Australia's largest retailers, the EPA and Council have been knocking on the door after I was overrun by some unscrupulous excavation dudes (I'm currently 20k down in some admin and investigations required of me by the EPA, and the fix could easily be measured in hundreds of thousands) and my car accident.....I'm turning 50 next week and I was pretty certain when I turned 40 that none of these were on my to do list.....one item that was, was to get myself a Porsche.....that will have to wait.

The biggest thing was my son's question during the accident.  It really made me aware of how aware he was of the situation.  One of the witnesses sent me a text late that night saying that one of her daughters who had been able to see my son in the car while we were going from fast to stopped had been crying all night because she could see the terror in his eyes and face as we swung around in the car along the road.  For the next 24-48 hours he and I didn't separate for much and we were quite emotional at times - particularly when we saw some photos taken of the wreckage in the daylight.  It's now been a month and we're back to normal. 

I'm due a change of luck to some good, so you're right, I should invest in some lottery tickets.

Anyway, I am strong of mind and don't suffer from depression, so all I do is continue to wade through the morass of nightmare knowing that it will end. 

Back to the issue at hand in this topic.  The Cayman can be replaced.  The memories of the old one will stop being produced but new memories in chasing, buying and enjoying the soon to be new one are out there waiting to be made. 

Good on you mate, keep your chin up, and I can only imagine the grief your young bloke went through.

His question, being very distressing for both of you.

Hope all goes well for you, and especially the tacker.   Your definitely due for a change in fortunes I would think...

• 1 month later...

Hey Jakroo, I only joined this week, and am yet to get my first Porsche (that's another story, but it's looking closer).

This is my first post, but I wanted to give you some good karma wishes. I was a passenger in a rollover about 20 years ago, and related to your sons position.

3 of us in a Toyota LWB  Landcruiser, no seatbelts, towing a just resto'd XP van. It was only going to be a short trip around the block, but to cut a long story short, the car shifted on the trailer when going going down a steep hill. The sudden change in weight meant the trailer balance went out, and started to sway pretty badly.

After a few oscillations, the trailer began 'driving' the back of the Landscruiser sideways, and I still remember the squeals as the rear tyres pulsed sideways. My brother inlaw driving tried to accelerate, break and whatever to pull it straight, but to no avail. Time slowed as it became evident we were going over, the 2 guys in the front grabbed each other sholders, and that was it.

Like the girl who had the time to see your sons reaction, I remember being in the back seat with the Landcruiser sliding upside down seeing the road sliding past through where the broken sunroof was.  We ended up at the bottom of the hill, facing the way we had come, still on the roof. Traffic had stopped at the bottom of the hill realising something was going wrong.The trailer and car had stayed upright, and rolled the Landcruiser over, tying the chains bar tight. The three of us got out, with cuts and scratches, and each having used up one of our lives.

I'm a few years younger than you Jakroo, but not by much, and now I understand a little more that everyday above ground is a good one.

Best of luck to the OP, I'm hoping we keep reading this thread and there's a good outcome in the end.

My daily is a BMW, the previous one was an X5. A lady drove into me trying to turn left from the right lane (as you do). She claimed fault so I took it to BMW and gave them her details. They sorted everything and the job was done perfectly, and I had a BMW loan car for the duration.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, and I now have a different BMW. A girl drove into me and started saying it was my fault (it wasn't, I was passing her and she changed lanes into me), so I made a claim and they've confirmed she is at fault. But I cannot take my car to BMW to have it fixed! They told me that if I didn't make a claim I could, but because I did they get to choose the repairer. So I have to take it to their repairer, and no loan car.

I guess it's fine, and the car is only scratched. But I unfortunately lost the ability to choose repairer by making a claim. I'm insured with AAMI

My daily is a BMW, the previous one was an X5. A lady drove into me trying to turn left from the right lane (as you do). She claimed fault so I took it to BMW and gave them her details. They sorted everything and the job was done perfectly, and I had a BMW loan car for the duration.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, and I now have a different BMW. A girl drove into me and started saying it was my fault (it wasn't, I was passing her and she changed lanes into me), so I made a claim and they've confirmed she is at fault. But I cannot take my car to BMW to have it fixed! They told me that if I didn't make a claim I could, but because I did they get to choose the repairer. So I have to take it to their repairer, and no loan car.

I guess it's fine, and the car is only scratched. But I unfortunately lost the ability to choose repairer by making a claim. I'm insured with AAMI

Withdraw the claim?

Your plight reminds me of the bumper stickers that I used to see years ago - "ask me why I'm NOT with AAMI"

Read your policy. If it includes "choice of repairer" push back and get it fixed properly by BMW.  Paint needs to be spot on and BMW will match it better than any others. You've claimed against your own insurer not the other driver's so I wouldn't let them dictate where it's taken. 

I've had 3 visits to BMW Body Shop last few years.  First rate repairer. ??

• 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Is that the black one that Autohaus Hamilton had a month back???  If so, we've bought the Seal Grey one, wife is collecting Thursday for the drive back to Tassie.....

Nope this wasnt on Autohaus... this one is Manual :P

32 minutes ago, TE911 said:

Nope this wasnt on Autohaus... this one is Manual :P

Aah, one of the rocking horse shit ones........  I couldn't find a manual anywhere that was non-black and in my price range.  You did well!!!

11 minutes ago, D2000 said:

Looks great. Be interested to hear your thoughts on the driving/ownership experience vs the cayman. 

From my first experience the 996 feels alot tighter around the bends and even feels like its got more power... the Cayman S was good fun but was too easy and under powered..

7 hours ago, TE911 said:

From my first experience the 996 feels alot tighter around the bends and even feels like its got more power... the Cayman S was good fun but was too easy and under powered..

Interesting you say that considering there's only 6 extra horses between the S and the '01 996.1.

Enjoy the 996. They really are a great car. I'm guessing your next step is to find an exhaust?

Beautiful! Is that the one from Newcastle, with all the important stuff done? A mate of mine was very interested and was going to fly us both up but dilly dallied. Great buy I reckon considering the work that'd been done.

Love the dark colours on the .1 996, bugger to keep clean and scratch free but worth it.

I took mine out into the hills for an evening leg stretch last night and came across an S3 pulled over on the side of the road, when I went past he hooked onto the back and I thought you know what I don't even want to go there...faster, easier, who cares. The C2 996 is super-capable driven fast but you still have to have your wits about you, even better is with a nice exhaust and intake there's plenty enough sensory input to enjoy the not-so-fast drives. I'm currently addicted to throttle blipping when changing down into 2nd.

15 minutes ago, DT said:

Beautiful! Is that the one from Newcastle, with all the important stuff done? A mate of mine was very interested and was going to fly us both up but dilly dallied. Great buy I reckon considering the work that'd been done.

Love the dark colours on the .1 996, bugger to keep clean and scratch free but worth it.

I took mine out into the hills for an evening leg stretch last night and came across an S3 pulled over on the side of the road, when I went past he hooked onto the back and I thought you know what I don't even want to go there...faster, easier, who cares. The C2 996 is super-capable driven fast but you still have to have your wits about you, even better is with a nice exhaust and intake there's plenty enough sensory input to enjoy the not-so-fast drives. I'm currently addicted to throttle blipping when changing down into 2nd.

Aah, I tried to get a response from the owner of that car so I could have a look at it, but despite a number of enquiries thru Carsales he never responded, difficult because he didn't list a phone number.  I even arranged to stay late in Sydney before flying back to Melb in anticipation of him contacting me.  Probably because he was in negotiation with you <_<  Anyway, good job.....  Last advertised price was $52k so if you paid late 40's you did very well B)...

14 hours ago, Mike737 said:

Interesting you say that considering there's only 6 extra horses between the S and the '01 996.1.

Enjoy the 996. They really are a great car. I'm guessing your next step is to find an exhaust?

Well that is true but this 996 already has a few things under its selves too like fabspeed mufflers and a V-Flow Air intake ;) but yes headers and highflow cats with a X-pipe on the to do list

59 minutes ago, DT said:

Yeap thats the car! i was one of the first to talk to the previous owner...

Archived