As instructed, here's the new thread.

Now a SC/RS ...

We've located a few "worthy" donor cars but really only need the shell.  

Anyone with a (provable) locally delivered shell, PM me.  If its already had reg in Victoria you could earn bonus points.  

In addition to the details below, we've added Lollypop seats. 

As soon as I have pics of the car as we start the process, up they go.  Might even pay the Photobucket fee as I've only just worked out how to post off there and I'm not going through that shit again with another provider!

I'll also post pics of the bits that will be going on it as we assemble them. 

Stay tuned.

------------------------------------------------

Carbon will replace:-

1. Front guards

2. Bonnet

3. Front and rear bumpers

4. Rear guards

5. Engine lid

6. Roof

7. Door skins

Have located slide injection and high stacks for it, 12 plug 3.0 with 11.5:1 comp, have original RSR cams and cam boxes. GT3 crank, Carillo's and GT3 oil pump.  All balanced so it can turn to 8000 all day.  MSD electrics.

Headers will be tuned and the exhaust will use 100 cell cats instead of mufflers for that SC/RS sound.  We just made a set for a mates IROC car and they are a thing of beauty.

Braid 9" on front and 11" on the back, big reds on front and Boxster rears.  Electric power steering. Power windows.  Perspex glass save for front.  Heated front screen.

915 box with all the weak bits strengthened, straight cut gears and a very tight LSD.  Will be shit on the road but good for bragging.  Spool anyone?

Bars will be adjustable blades adapted from some 997 Cup car bits we had handy (we were thinking in car adjustable but that 50/50).

HID headlights (or whatever will fry the eyeballs of some NoDoze popping trucker who forgets to turn down is stadium lights on the Hume)

Oh, and it will have AC.  One of those new trick ones recently covered in Classic Porsche magazine.

Color will be GT Silver.  Martini stripes on the agenda but not sure.

Taget weight 800 kg.  Engine output around a torquey 330 at the flywheel.

No hoop roll bar.

That's just over the top and silly ....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

800kg.. is that possible? my god. 

Sure is.

Before the new carbon rear guards, front bumper and rear bumper went on my IROC race car weighs in at 950 kg.  We think the rear guards and other stuff will shave 50kg off that car.  It also has a full FIA spec roll cage which accounts for around 40 kg.  Take out things like the full on board fire suppression system and thats another 10 kg.  The IROC still runs a steel hood and roof as well. Getting close to 800 will be a challenge but heck, if we get to around 850 I'll be happy and try and lose the rest by staying off the Weissbier and Bratwurst!

Have just solved the donor shell issue.  

'76 912 secured.

I'd certainly want the cage if I was replacing roof and doors etc with cf- and the rigidity is always welcome.

That is one of my concerns with my car. All of the front end is fibreglass, and I have removed all of the original front bumper supports, so there really isn't much in front of me if I go off. Part of the reason I put the 'X' style strut brace in, so I have a tiny bit more protection.

I suppose the moral of the story is to not crash the things in the first place ;) 

That is one of my concerns with my car. All of the front end is fibreglass, and I have removed all of the original front bumper supports, so there really isn't much in front of me if I go off. Part of the reason I put the 'X' style strut brace in, so I have a tiny bit more protection.

I suppose the moral of the story is to not crash the things in the first place ;) 

I have a welded in six point cage that goes into the front compartment, no idea if that is possible for registered cars anymore 

I'd certainly want the cage if I was replacing roof and doors etc with cf- and the rigidity is always welcome.

Actually, the CF roof skin is quite rigid from a structural point of view and the steel framework will still be there.

Same for the doors.  Will simply be skinning but drilling the bejesus out of the inner but welding in an intrusion bar.

Take it from me, steel isn't that protective in a front shunt.  Its the sub structure that takes most of the impact load.  Your X brace is a very good move though and something I've often considered and might actually incorporate into this build. 

And yes, best not to go off.  Lots if bad things happen starting with bush firing your tyres as you stomp on the middle pedal!

I have a welded in six point cage that goes into the front compartment, no idea if that is possible for registered cars anymore 

I understand its possible if its CAMS approved but would have to check again.

Great sounding build... literarily! 8k revs and high flow cats ?

I chose the cats as I'm a terry towling hatted environmentalist under all that fossil fuel bravado!

Spec change.

Was talking with my mate who does the greasy work for me and he reminded me that we'd acquired a 3.5 litre ex Porsche Cup race motor that came with a dyno sheet that alleged 365 hp ... I know, I should be a slave to originality and build a 3 litre.  I console myself with the fact that the block was originally a 3.0 litre so, in she goes ... 

Comes complete with ITB's and MOTEC.  It is after all a modern interpretion!

Also, my other mate who owns Skunkwerks tells me the shell is being cleaned and primed right now. Pics on their way and I'll also get some shots of the donk.

@Pork Chops has had some wheels done which I'm told are the ducks 'nads so will be going that way as well.

'

Color will be GT Silver. 

sounds awesome will watch with interest.  But don't you know choosing a colour for a hotrod is way more involved than this.  You can't just say "it will be silver" in your first post.  You need to dedicate PAGES to that decision.....??

sounds awesome will watch with interest.  But don't you know choosing a colour for a hotrod is way more involved than this.  You can't just say "it will be silver" in your first post.  You need to dedicate PAGES to that decision.....??

Rookie error ... ?

It's a road to nowhere...

Spec update.

No rain gutters.

Car has been taken back to a tub, pressure and hands chemical cleaned (pity the apprentice ..) as Skunkwerks takes the view that media blasting apparently has the same impact on metal as stirring has on juniper berries on 007's martini ...

All excess tabs etc are being removed and the key bits seam welded. Inner door skins/frame getting drilled but welding in intrusion bar.  

I have pics but can't fecking load the MF's!!

The engine is being beautified and we've designed a carbon fiber air box for it.  When in Rome and all that ... have pics as well....

Reviewed available stock of gearboxes (yes, we have many spares as I tend to be a little hard on the gear in that dept ...) and saw a nice 6sp G50 that was tempting but the mag case 915 with all the strong bits got the flowers.  

trying to post pics 

aaarrrggghhhh!!

If you want an easy method, you can just start a dummy facebook page. Uploading to FB is easy, then just paste the link into the 'Insert other media' tab. That is how I host a heap of mine.

Need more!

And this should probably be moved to Projects or Hot rods etc

I can't even post a photo!  How do I move a whole thread?

More pics coming. Will forward them onto my Bitch for processing. 

Not sure what color it was at birth but I think you're right. 

Archived