'72 911E Rescue

Pork Chops

As Tom has pointed out I have a penchant for fixer-uppers.  So with this in mind may I introduce to you the latest project.  Many of you will have seen this on carsales and I think it's a nice buy as it's got most of the parts needed to finish it, unlike my hotrod which is proving to be quite the money pit.

I won't get it until early Oct and it won't start until a month or so after that, so it's be a slow burn.

True to my wheel whore self, the first thing I'll do is grab a set of wheels for it as a set have popped up from a purveyor of quality Porsche merchandise well known around these parts.

It's a factory LHD car and is still that way and will remain so.  German delivered and then went to Japan and then to Aust in 2004.  For a long time it sat in a workshop until the last owner picked it up but his circumstances changed and so it looks, have mine!  Engine is 2.4 MFI (non matching but within 100 numbers), gearbox is a very early 915, interior is mostly there via Lakewell, all hanging panels are original and it has all the hard to find bits with it.  Originally Light Yellow the car will be taken back to good original health and once complete I may flip or keep depending on how my heart and wallet are feeling.

Let's work backwards.  Here is the final product (though I think this is a '73)

1973%20911E%20Targa-L.jpg

As it was from Japan

72e%20003-M.jpg

As it is now

IMG_0890-M.jpg

IMG_0897-M.jpg

IMG_0891-M.jpg

IMG_0893-M.jpg

I need to keep busy.  Or, the voices...

Colour will be per original, Light Yellow, which I think looks mint on this car.  But so many do...

Wow, I can't believe we are 2 posts in and you already have the colour sorted. This will have to be your shortest build thread in history :P

Wow, I can't believe we are 2 posts in and you already have the colour sorted. This will have to be your shortest build thread in history :P

The bad news is I was settling on this colour for the hotrod so that's now undecided yet again...

Here`s one we prepared earlier

hy1zsyU.jpg

I've seen this before on here and for some reason I think it might be Doug's?  But yeah, that's kind of it!  Is it still around?

LOVE IT. welcome to the LHD exclusive club.

Wow an exclusive club!  I'm all over that like a rash.  Yeah RHD is so passe

You must have a very tolerant wife - all those car related bills every month would be hard to disguise ?

To be fair to me, they are her cars...

Love it keep it as original as possible .........how many builds have you got going know ..?

Yes this one will be original but I'm thinking it has to be a little lowered.  But that's it for this one!  2 builds as the SC engine is mostly concluded.  I missed that cheap black 993 by about 20 minutes on Thursday so I'm lucky I don't have another!

The bad news is I was settling on this colour for the hotrod so that's now undecided yet again...

Ok, so you are making up for this thread being shorter, by extending the other one... and the world is now in balance :P 

You must have a very tolerant wife - all those car related bills every month would be hard to disguise ?

The Kid says

Apparently its all to do with the pie!

Rather than cut it up in ever smaller portions you just make it BIGGER!!!!

That's Pork Chops secret. 

I tried this approach on my wife and she just looked at me as if I was talking gibberish.

Several days late after insisting I sell one of my three toys before I buy another she turned around out of the blue and said well it depend on what it is.

Clearly I am not as adept as Pork Chops in the execution of this strategy but it appears to have merit and Chopster's track record is laudable!

The Kid says

Apparently its all to do with the pie!

Rather than cut it up in ever smaller portions you just make it BIGGER!!!!

That's Pork Chops secret. 

I tried this approach on my wife and she just looked at me as if I was talking gibberish.

Several days late after insisting I sell one of my three toys before I buy another she turned around out of the blue and said well it depend on what it is.

Clearly I am not as adept as Pork Chops in the execution of this strategy but it appears to have merit and Chopster's track record is laudable!

Yes grow the pie, and everyone's slice gets bigger.  Could be a great big ponzi scheme but I'm running with it for the time being.

Congrats PC.

You will love the sound of MFI.

not mine, but another pic of the light yellow '72 Targa that Steve previously posted.

Thanks Doug.  Yes looking forward to my first MFI experience.  Interesting that car appears to be RHD so if not Aus delivered is it UK?  Other than that it's pretty much the same car.  Once mine's done it'd be great to get them next to each other to see how they differ.  With left and right hand drive they'll make a nice mirror image of each other.

Not paid for yet but hopefully mine in the next couple of weeks!

IMG_8584-L.jpg

IMG_8577-L.jpg

if you finish this before I finish my tangerine I will be very cross :)

Looking great. Who's doing the panel work for you?

It's a long race but particularly when you're doing it yourself!  Skunkwerks are the body shop.  Same folks that did my SC rescue and are currently doing my hotrod.

Pepe-L.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived