Coxster vs Boxster

Lucky Phil

I see some posts that refer to the Boxster as a Coxster.  As such I thought I would clear up how the Coxster name came about.

In Episode 2 of Series 7 of Top Gear, Clarkson reviewed the then new Cayman.  His producer at the time had just ordered one.  He went into great detail about how Porsche market their cars and how the power in the Boxster and Cayman was deliberately kept below the 911 so as not to deter people from buying the more expensive 911.  When test driving the Cayman he said "it really is just a Boxster with a roof so in effect a Boxster Coupe, as such it should have been named the Coxster".   

So the two ended up with their own target group for marketing. Boxsters for Hairdressers and Coxsters for the other group who did not buy a 911

I see some posts that refer to the Boxster as a Coxster.  As such I thought I would clear up how the Coxster name came about.

In Episode 2 of Series 7 of Top Gear, Clarkson reviewed the then new Cayman.  His producer at the time had just ordered one.  He went into great detail about how Porsche market their cars and how the power in the Boxster and Cayman was deliberately kept below the 911 so as not to deter people from buying the more expensive 911.  When test driving the Cayman he said "it really is just a Boxster with a roof so in effect a Boxster Coupe, as such it should have been named the Coxster".   

So the two ended up with their own target group for marketing. Boxsters for Hairdressers and Coxsters for the other group who did not buy a 911

I coined it before that.  :P

I suspect anyone who calls a Boxster or a Cayman a Coxster, 1 has no clue, 2 has never driven either, 3 gets upset when a non Porsche person calls their 911 a VW Beatle.

Anyone?

Yes it was a bit obvious wasn't it. The answer is as soon as someone wants to sell me a S or preferably an R :lol: at a decent price or is at least negotiable. Can't be stuffed looking at interstate cars unless it's an R and have zero tolerance for dealers after this weeks little episode. Guess I will be looking for a while yet.

I guess a certain dealer is off your xmas card list then Fraz!?

I guess a certain dealer is off your xmas card list then Fraz!?

The arrogance was unbelievable.

Lost control of the iPad again and deleted the above post. Sorry about that Rod. Looks like I am becoming a Croakster. 

The Cayman is a fantastic car - it might sit low on the Porsche scale by way of price point but it's an awesome machine. Recently sold my 987 S after 5 years with the car.  Loved every minute of ownership and the pure sports car driving experience.  Linear rather than explosive speed but fast enough to be fun and just so steady through the corners.  Fantastic machines!

Archived