996 running a little rough when cruising

WOKA

On the recent run that we did down the Oxley I noticed that the 996 is running very slightly 'off' when not on the pedal..  Its like its almost missing, and is spark / coil related - not that I'm in any way knowledgeable in such things.  Under acceleration it's great, pulls hard and does all the right things, however when sitting on the speed limit and just holding off the pedal it ever so slightly misses and holds back a bit, but as soon as you touch the accelerator, no problem at all..  I did also notice as part of my 'assessment' that if I coasted down a hill the idle would drop and stall.  Idle when stationary is fine. 

On start up, everything seems fine however before the last service on startup it would very occasionally (3 times from memory) fart and cough a little bit you could rev it out fine.  A bit of injector cleaner was put through and that for the time being seems to have gone away.?  Maybe though related to above..

Any pointers on the primary issue..?  

TIA 

Can also be early signs of AOS failure.

When idling, listen for sounds of it sucking air.

Umm..  I hope not.  AOS was replaced less than 10,000km ago.  Is it possible for it to fail so soon after.?

Where would I place my ear to hear this sucking of air..?

EDIT

A quick google suggests on idle and when removing the oil cap the engine might stall if the AOS is failing - not the case here, if anything idle increases very slightly..

Anyone got a link for a scanning tool that they could recommend..?

There seem to be several durametric scanners..  Just to be a pain - can someone link me to what I need..

Cheers @Rob.!  Appreciate the input  ;)

There are only two types that can be used with the 996:

- Enthusiast (locked to 3 VIN numbers) however apparently Durametric can wipe VINs - also certain coding functionality cannot be done with this version

- PRO (which can be used with unlimited VIN numbers)

They are often on US ebay with 1-2 VIN spots un-used

Before you go down the Durametric path, if you're in with your local dealership I don't see why they wouldn't do a quick scan for you to see if you get any codes.

Although its probably a decent investment: http://www.durametric.com/porsche-carrera-996.aspx 

I can recommend Durametric - bought my Enthusiasts model back in 2010 and found it paid for itself many times over in time and frustration. Durametric are also very cooperative with questions by answering emails the same day....

Money well spent and you would still get 50% of the retail price back when you sell it.

Woka - describing your hesitation, try disconnecting your MAF and then drive the car to see if there is any improvement. A failing MAF can cause all sorts of symptoms and disconnecting it for a short time will not do any damage.

There seem to be several durametric scanners..  Just to be a pain - can someone link me to what I need..

Cheers @Rob.!  Appreciate the input  ;)

bring it round sometime, i have a durametric pro (drop me a PM)

I'm guessing coils but we'll see

have you tried an italian tune up?

Cheers Russ - I'll drop you a PM..

Yep - certainly did try the Italian tune up  :)  No change.

Coil(s) seem a likely culprit given they're prone to cracking and letting moisture in.

Id suggest the following, make sure you have good fuel, make sure you leads and spark plugs are not fouled up. Make sure no sensor leads and plugs are gone/unplugged and finally id check to make sure the Air Flow Sensor is plugged in and nothing has moved. 

Other than that, get a diag tool on it and see what it says. 

All good and it seems to be sorted..  Went around to @russ and plugged in his scanner tool..  Errors relating to the MAF were detected.  A bit of a spray with MAF cleaner, an Italian tune and all codes clear when re-scanned. :)

Thanks Russ, legend.!

All good and it seems to be sorted..  Went around to @russ and plugged in his scanner tool..  Errors relating to the MAF were detected.  A bit of a spray with MAF cleaner, an Italian tune and all codes clear when re-scanned. :)

Thanks Russ, legend.!

I knew it, good result. 9-10 times it's the simple stuff. 

As I said last Wednesday, the MAF can cause all sorts of issues, especially if you have a K&N style aftermarket air filter......

You may find that just cleaning an old MAF sensor will not be a permanent solution. 

I'll be swapping out the K&N with an original box in the next day or two..  

I'll be swapping out the K&N with an original box in the next day or two..  

I've read about the K&N air filter setup as well as their air filter inserts causing issues. 

Good move replacing it back to stock, intake noise will be quieter but it's not worth not causing issues and sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

I think the big problem with the reusable (non-paper) filters is over-oiling them and it coats the MAF

and yeah, the stock airbox picks up air from a particular designated spot, the pod filter just sucks in hot air. Although, the TechArt pod filter came with a shrowd and cold air intake setup

I had a BMC reusable filter but couldn't see any benefit only negatives so I went back to stock paper.

In terms of aftermarket air boxes (if I had to choose one) the evoMS gets my vote and it sections off the pod filter from the engine bay and still uses the stock air intake spot to feed the pod filter:

260103d1204939120-install-help-please-fo

Archived