WTB: 911 air cooled coupe.

6 hours ago, symsy said:

I know a good looking SC Targa that may still be available in Melb , not been seen in the market I believe , PM me a number or email and I will have a little ring around over the next few days and let you know and get you a picture

As for the cars advertised .. they have been sitting sitting , I would be starting either discussions with 6's at the beginning of my conversations. Market defines prices ..the market has already given its response.. these cars have been online for longer than a super good car or a super well priced car should be!  They may still also be good cars from an ownership perspective but not at those prices.

I think the blak car , maybe a litte too raw as a ex tarmac rally car unless thats what you want .. in my experience the girls hate em, you may be an great investment brioker but your wife will still evaluate your common sense by the ride factor.  I have three cars with race seats and cages .. the woman in the house smiles but  deep down there are grimaces everytime at my choice of drive for the day has race seats.. she patiently holds the keys to the turbo or more so the 4WD in her hands as a subtle tip.

I think we are also still dealing with a little extra hype with SC's and 3.2's maybe let it cool a little more .. different models seem to have their day in sun in the P car markets,  it was 993s and then 964s and now SC's and 3.2s .  The 70-120k arena is always the entry corridor and when a car goes above it they generally slow in the volume traded.

Again in balance some of these big number SC/3.2 cars are collector cars and are peaches , but it seems to have dragged a lot of bottom dwellers into a price arena where people think they will cash out , of their average car.   Average may be an opportunity if your talking a mid term to hold and enjoy as you can buy hard and put good value in and enjoy .

SC/3.2 are rock solid cars , an amazing experience , good luck ..  You have an ok budget you can get a car and just in some cases be prepared for that extra 5 when an amazing opportunity presents 5k dont go far in PCar world but can also buy a shitload of extra value on occasion.

Happy hunting

@cafe_racer ..... did someone say Targa??

@symsy ... all good points. Having walked away from an SC recently and now having missed a good SC due to timing .... if you hear of any other SC’s or 3.2’s that may be looking for an enthusiastic home .... you know who to message !! ??

@symsy what makes you think prices will cool down with the SC and 3.2s?

I've started looking again recently. An example I'm seriously contemplating at the moment is an 84' model with 180kms. Aus delivered with books. They're after $100k, but given what I've been reading I'm starting to have my doubts about paying that much for a car that hasn't had a top end rebuild either. I've looked at 3 cars all of which have had pretty much full resprays and have quite a few small issues, but they do add up. Might put things on hold for a few months.. I definitely think we have already seen the top, but I didn't think they would come back down. 

24 minutes ago, rminc said:

I've started looking again recently. An example I'm seriously contemplating at the moment is an 84' model with 180kms. Aus delivered with books. They're after $100k, but given what I've been reading I'm starting to have my doubts about paying that much for a car that hasn't had a top end rebuild either. I've looked at 3 cars all of which have had pretty much full resprays and have quite a few small issues, but they do add up. Might put things on hold for a few months.. I definitely think we have already seen the top, but I didn't think they would come back down. 

They all have "quite a few" small issues ... as the owner, we learn to live with them ... as the buyer we see them as an issue.

If it doesnt affect the driving or safety of the car, then they aren't issues as such, they are more cosmetic niggles that one sees as important to fix and another sees them as "I'll get to that one day" ...

If a car with 180,000 k's was in perfect condition and had no "issues" then it would be more than $100k* just for the convenient factor of it being perfect ... 

* this price does not apply to @symsy .... he would start with a 5 in front and work from there, regardless of condition or work done ...

2 hours ago, rminc said:

Im just saying they are the flavour of the month , because of the entry price ,Im not calling doom and gloom , just that cause and effect factors and drivers exist and an there is an interplay sometimes between the models in market.

The market is also in the hands of many of the normal financial factors... Not bitcoin thats another story..

I think SC/3.2  will level out , good cars are good to put your money in and enjoy , but many of them are just shit , poor provenance , quick glossy make overs and more. Shit has been dragged out of every corner in the bull market lets face it .

My philosophical outlook looks like this and by no means do note ... I KNOW SHIT , you decide ;)  I have like some though had a dozen cars pass through my hands mid term  and some numbers with  with a healthy set of zeros behind them  attached to their price and Im not in the trade...  I have some wins and losses under my belt.

Im just saying dont get caught in the hype

Money is tighter loan/risk management by banks , real estate aint so booming for the average joe. The bubble of the real estate milionaires is waning a little, like anything, the well honed ones will survive and continue of course,  but there were a lot of lucky dumb punters .. the same in the bit coin game and the same in the air cool bubble , they got dragged along in the game , they never did it by design .. many are one time lucksters.

People without all this extra cash would have demanded many a fun commodity to buy/ trade and I know the holiday home and the sports/classic cars come first on the buy list when things are flush and first on the sell list when times hard. So perhaps smaller market of buyers  will start to show?

Without big price climbs will the blind superfund buyers be jumping in and pushing the market up still? A question to ask ?

So to Pcars in general in recent times, very generalised

Longhood got too expensive , whats next says the market , backdates come in and out of fashion , the market says whats next

Magnus farts , everyone likes the aroma and thinks thats a reason to buy a 964 or 930 . They get expensive

SC/3.2

All of sudden the base price of SC/3.2 so high for a hot rod 50 car + 20 paint + gearbox and motor and interior , your nearly in a GT3 , get my drift , how does a hotrod compare to a GT3 as an example.

996's start to look cool .. whos got 30-50k and if you have more and have seriously given up  -  the 996 redhed ugly stepchild review syndrome  , maybe you will even have an enlightened moment and realise a 996 Turbo 90-110k vs hotrod AC  .. AC hotrod aint so hot in the seat,  all of a sudden , actually its very slow on many levels and old . Water cool looks like great value.. they are all Pcars after all

So back to the SC/3.2 cant really push the scarcity factor , so to me they have a ceiling , I think its about where they are right now  and now the market will perhaps normalise  and they will fall into the  normal loved classic car rate of growth/ rising as some cars disappear from normal mechanical breakdown and rust and massage availability

If your loaded,  get what you want f..ck the money.. if your looking at investment beware, if your looking for kicks , get your ass in as many Porches as possible , get very fast ones when your young , cos when you fatten up GT3's and alike aint so comfy, do as many kms in a Porsche as possible in ones existence

End of todays screwy sermon and financial advice

Have fun , have porsches

10 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

* this price does not apply to @symsy .... he would start with a 5 in front and work from there, regardless of condition or work done ...

I start at a base and for sure work up my friend

Im playing with the same chips as you guys , looking at the same cars .. I dont like retail thats true.. im just asking if they want to sell their car at a number that suits me ..

I work off its value to me and think of what will happen when I liquidate as i get bored and like to swap cars, I ask them to justify and prove their price and some times , I have bought some peaches recognising enthusiast value having been put into them. I have a strong track record of being a hoarder and keeper , 6 years in one , 22years  in another , 11 in my previous UK fetish

You might be surprised sincerely at what answers come back if you actually call some of these people folks and talk to them , take the time to go look and have a drive :) 

Note: I also sell mine too and have some happy people who have bought from me .  As a seller I tell em PPI , show me whats wrong , I will fix em and you still pay the price, or close too.  If your real as a general rule for me , transparent and avoid the BS it works and is simple , we all pretty much know what they are worth and at the values they trade , its good to get inspections unless they are a bargain.

Glossy showrooms and hot receptionist cost money , its in the price tag , you buy where you feel you want to buy I say to people and pay the appropriate margin they want

Me I am a poor man , I go to the pub for beer and steak , not the 5 star cocktail bar,  I go out and watch the girls dance in the bar and buy my porsches in the alley its cheaper.

Occasionally I go sit with my GT3 and TT Pcar child in the Porsche dealer but like hospitals generally I hate them , sometimes I go for free coffee. The SC and or others will go to the aftermarket dude down the alley , cos thats good enough.

With this money saved,  I buy more petrol , thongs for the beach , more oil , tyres and buy bandwidth..and bacon eggs and drive out for lunch on Wednesdays.

A little tip, I dont look in the obvious places , hence you will probably always find me fighting the hype that carsales defines the market..

There are opportunities and Pcars are great and you can pay some of your motoring addiction of trading a few in my experience.

Market is in the off market . Im happy to look and or negotiate on anyones behalf for a small fee , I need to build and repair more cars too and Im unemployed

Start at 45 , 65 if at CTS and Dutton they have good coffee and you dont wanna get thrown out  and dont buy a SC and or 3.2 at the Porsche dealer.

You forgot .. I am available for a fee .

On 12/28/2017 at 4:01 PM, MR NB said:

I understand buying in to the 911 air-cooled market can be challenging these days. My friend took me on a club drive last weekend and unfortunately for my bank balance I got hooked. The missus however has given me the green light to buy one as an investment! Great salesman I can be.

My budget is limited to around $70k. If there is anything around that number that isn't going to cost me a fortune after I have bought it. Please let me know. Msg on here please.

I did meet a bloke the other day who had a few cars. I think he lived in Byron. 

If your in the market I may be able to refer you to a local car .. sub 70k, if your still looking, Im checking its still available , whats your status on this ?

15 hours ago, Dalai said:

@Peter JohnThought that was the case. Looks like they made a few changes since you sold it!

I went and looked at it and drove it last week. They’ve put on whale tail and a couple of other things.

Didnt realise it was recently listed car until after I saw it.

Nice car.

17 hours ago, symsy said:

You forgot .. I am available for a fee .

If your in the market I may be able to refer you to a local car .. sub 70k, if your still looking, Im checking its still available , whats your status on this ?

If @MR NB isn’t still interested (It’s his thread after all) .... and if car is still available @symsy .... I’d be interested in having a look. 

Archived