WTB: 911 air cooled coupe.

I understand buying in to the 911 air-cooled market can be challenging these days. My friend took me on a club drive last weekend and unfortunately for my bank balance I got hooked. The missus however has given me the green light to buy one as an investment! Great salesman I can be.

My budget is limited to around $70k. If there is anything around that number that isn't going to cost me a fortune after I have bought it. Please let me know. Msg on here please.

I did meet a bloke the other day who had a few cars. I think he lived in Byron. 

Unfortunately the best advice I can give you is to up the budget .... $70k isn't going to buy you much in the air cooled world.

There is another fellow on here who is also looking for an air cooled and has 2 x posts  on here ... they make good reading and will give you more of an idea of what to expect ...

They are from 2015 but have current responses ...

Good luck in your hunt ... the rewards are worth it ....

If you're a bit handy with a spanner, can read a wiring diagram, don't mind cleaning and are open to owning a Targa I reckon  you'll easily find something that you'll enjoy that you won't lose money on. 

Just remember engine and transmission work is horrendously expensive so just keep that in mind when making a choice. 

I'd think 70k should get you a LHD SC in good condition or an Aus delivered Targa, either SC or 2.7 in a bit more of a 'needs love' condition.  Neither is rare or investment grade but you will have a stack of fun and as values go up or down yours will too.  If you buy at a fair price you shouldn't lose money unless the whole sector takes a bath. 

I have come across two i am interested but sceptical in. Is anyone aware of these two and any feedback would be great. The orange one looks too good for that price. The black one I know is more or less a race car (which I am not adverse to) however how flogged is it I wonder?

Black: http://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_victoria/pc_main.nsf/web/4433AB015C279C75C12581A900405980#pagetop

Orange: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1975/SSE-AD-5100212/?Cr=14

My friend Will says 'Lee' who is on here sometimes from SA might know of the black one.

3 hours ago, MR NB said:

My friend Will says 'Lee' who is on here sometimes from SA might know of the black one.

I've only seen it briefly mate, but it did look pretty good from what I could see, and I think the price is realistic if it checked out ok. It was at RSR Motorsport (Mark Poole). A guy on Instagram @porsche_lyf works there, so maybe he could help.  I can have a look at it for you next week if need be, as its literally 2 minutes from home. There is also a blue 911 at Buik Motorworks that has a similar treatment with half cage etc. Probably not to the black car level with mods, but has had a recent blue paint job, but non original colour

2 hours ago, wilburforce said:

@LeeM any ideas mate?

Cheers mate

• 1 month later...
On 28 December 2017 at 9:37 PM, MR NB said:

I have come across two i am interested but sceptical in. Is anyone aware of these two and any feedback would be great. The orange one looks too good for that price. The black one I know is more or less a race car (which I am not adverse to) however how flogged is it I wonder?

Black: http://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_victoria/pc_main.nsf/web/4433AB015C279C75C12581A900405980#pagetop

Orange: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1975/SSE-AD-5100212/?Cr=14

How'd ya go?

Just now, Philbee said:

Yes pls! 

Did you check out the others,  Anything to report...?

No I didn't check them out. I tried to look at the orange one but the timings were all wrong with the seller. Couldn't say no to the white one though. I think the black one was a bit too full on for the wife and bub too.

I think the hardest part in finding one for 70k is the investment part (as mentioned by OP)

If you are after an investment piece you would have to up the budget at least 90k+.

However, if you want a cool car to be driven rain hail and sign.. Not afraid to get your hands dirty. Dont care if its a converted, resprayed and non-matching number.  Then yeah.. 70k will get you an an ok car.. Slightly harder with the coupes and RHD, but doable

13 minutes ago, brian in buddina said:

you wouldn't think there are any barns left that haven't been pillaged! 

You’d be surprised. I found mine in the warehouse where it had resided for 20 years, owner reckoned he knew of at least 3 more scattered around the same industrial estate that hd been there for similar lengths of time. Wouldn’t elaborate on exact whereabouts, but these are old guys who’ve owned units since they were built in the 80’s. Finished them up as working businesses years ago, but still hold them for storage and never open the roller doors....

4 hours ago, TINGY944 said:

I was out to dinner tonight with a guy who just got hold of a barn find in Newcastle, '76 2.7 that has been in a garage for 18yrs.

Aaah, I know that bloke well! ? Bloody good find that one I reckon 

I know a good looking SC Targa that may still be available in Melb , not been seen in the market I believe , PM me a number or email and I will have a little ring around over the next few days and let you know and get you a picture

As for the cars advertised .. they have been sitting sitting , I would be starting either discussions with 6's at the beginning of my conversations. Market defines prices ..the market has already given its response.. these cars have been online for longer than a super good car or a super well priced car should be!  They may still also be good cars from an ownership perspective but not at those prices.

I think the blak car , maybe a litte too raw as a ex tarmac rally car unless thats what you want .. in my experience the girls hate em, you may be an great investment brioker but your wife will still evaluate your common sense by the ride factor.  I have three cars with race seats and cages .. the woman in the house smiles but  deep down there are grimaces everytime at my choice of drive for the day has race seats.. she patiently holds the keys to the turbo or more so the 4WD in her hands as a subtle tip.

I think we are also still dealing with a little extra hype with SC's and 3.2's maybe let it cool a little more .. different models seem to have their day in sun in the P car markets,  it was 993s and then 964s and now SC's and 3.2s .  The 70-120k arena is always the entry corridor and when a car goes above it they generally slow in the volume traded.

Again in balance some of these big number SC/3.2 cars are collector cars and are peaches , but it seems to have dragged a lot of bottom dwellers into a price arena where people think they will cash out , of their average car.   Average may be an opportunity if your talking a mid term to hold and enjoy as you can buy hard and put good value in and enjoy .

SC/3.2 are rock solid cars , an amazing experience , good luck ..  You have an ok budget you can get a car and just in some cases be prepared for that extra 5 when an amazing opportunity presents 5k dont go far in PCar world but can also buy a shitload of extra value on occasion.

Happy hunting

Archived