Cheap supersaloons

Well the concept or actuality of buying other people's follys is always entertaining.

Let's play "what if". Try to keep it reasonably tasteful. And avoid total lemons.
You know you'd like one , if only for shitsngiggles. Like a 2k BMW 7 series.

Friends of mine in the U.K. all run these type of older high end ‘barges’, none of them paid more than a couple of grand for tidy cars. Mate’s running around in a 2005 XJV8, regularly takes it to Europe for long distance thrashes and last year did a massive drive around Scotland and the islands. Just have a few quid to one side to fix the inevitable problems, but for cars with less than 100k miles on them that were megabucks when new, they’re ace.

That E55 panzerwagon is tempting....for the $5k it’s worth.

Ok I know it says saloons but I love these big coupes and at 10% of the original RRP why not

2001 Mercedes-Benz CL600 Auto

• 78,000 km
  • Coupe
  • Automatic
  • 12cyl 5.8L Petrol

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mercedes-Benz-CL600-2001/SSE-AD-4829371

or you could pick up a 5-0L V8 for half the price

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mercedes-Benz-CL500-2002/SSE-AD-5289103

3 hours ago, ANF said:

Dig the S8!  Did the Quattro Experience in about 2000 at Calder Park.

Got to drive all the cars and at the end got a passenger lap with one of the Audi Super Tourer drivers in the S8...you have no idea how sideways these can be driven, or how much rubber you can remove from the rear tyres in 1 lap!

This would be a good buy and when the electrics all shit themselves just drop the V8 in the 924.

5 hours ago, Mike-S said:

Friends of mine in the U.K. all run these type of older high end ‘barges’, none of them paid more than a couple of grand for tidy cars. Mate’s running around in a 2005 XJV8, regularly takes it to Europe for long distance thrashes and last year did a massive drive around Scotland and the islands. Just have a few quid to one side to fix the inevitable problems, but for cars with less than 100k miles on them that were megabucks when new, they’re ace.

That E55 panzerwagon is tempting....for the $5k it’s worth.

I paid 1000 pounds for a 165k mile 5 series when I was there.  Put thousands of miles on it all over France, Scotland, Ireland, England and lent it to visiting family.  Street parked in London - it already had a few scratches and dents.  Cost around 200 in maintenance for 12 months and sold it for 750.     Renting a vehicle or taking a train for a weekend would easily run a couple of hundred.

2 hours ago, Coastr said:

I paid 1000 pounds for a 165k mile 5 series when I was there.  Put thousands of miles on it all over France, Scotland, Ireland, England and lent it to visiting family.  Street parked in London - it already had a few scratches and dents.  Cost around 200 in maintenance for 12 months and sold it for 750.     Renting a vehicle or taking a train for a weekend would easily run a couple of hundred.

Reminds me of my time in Europe 2001 - bought a 2L 5 Spd Ford Sierra (not quite s super saloon but a sleeper, massively over engined according to the Poms) from the classifieds in Essex for 700 quid and drove 7,000 miles around Scotland, England, France, Spain, Italy, Australia, Czech Republic, Germany, Belgium and back to London in winter.  Even managed to wind it out to 200km/h on the autobahn while my wife was snoozing in the passenger seat. We flew out of London on a Sunday and so we did a last minute sale to your classic open neck, silk shirt, slicked back hair, gold chains, chain smoking high street sleazy car dealer for 500 quid........."no cash, banks are closed, it's a Sunday, here let me give you a cheque young fella, don't worry, you can trust me, I have a reputation to uphold ?".  We smelt a rat but had no other option......boing rubber cheque.  Even debt collectors on 50% take couldn't pin the guy.  But 2 months driving enjoyment for 700 pounds was still much cheaper than the alternatives.  If I ever do it again, S8 or E55 supercharged would be the go.  Gun for 300 next time.

350kW.  A former boss had one of these in 2003 and I used to love it when he started in up in the basement carpark, sounded like a V8 supercar, bone stock.

0bcym7r7we00veuiuoye6.jpg?aspect=FitWithinNoPad&width=480

2003 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG Auto

• 220,000 km
  • Sedan
  • Automatic
  • 8cyl 5.4L S Petrol

Private

For more information on this vehicle please visit:
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mercedes-Benz-E55-2003/SSE-AD-5241326

Gangsta style

cd4893901861847419536.jpg?aspect=FitWithinNoPad&width=480

2005 Maserati Quattroporte Auto

• 189,345 km
  • Sedan
  • Automatic
  • 8cyl 4.2L Petrol

Dealer Used

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Maserati-Quattroporte-2005/OAG-AD-15407139

You need boost in your luxo barge.  Why pay $450k for a new 760LiX 6.6TT V12.  Buy the next best thing, 750i 4.4TT V8 $30k only 8 years young ?

cfb46958d8919475c5e51e735d649a6f.jpg?aspect=FitWithinNoPad&width=480

2010 BMW 750i F01 Auto MY10

• 160,004 km
  • Sedan
  • Automatic
  • 8cyl 4.4L T Petrol

Dealer Used

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/BMW-750i-2010/OAG-AD-15653097

Old 7s are very hard to get rid of.  People will still buy an old 5, but 7s freak them out.  Under the skin they are usually practically the same.

Any mid 90s-mid 00s German v8 is astonishingly good value used, and like 70s muscle cars, they are never happening again.  They can be tricky but so could a Holden v8 that people get so worked up about.  A friend recently sent me a gumtree ad for 2 bmw 5s, both v8 auto- $4k for the pair.  

One can overlook the odd dashlight or non working ciggy lighter. And with back episodes of Wheeler Dealers , there is nothing to fear! 
Agree about 7 series BMWs . Lots of car for little money , potentially lots of trouble , but roll that dice! Mind you , 12 cyls costs more rego wise and so on.

17 hours ago, Coastr said:

We’re doing a month in the U.K. in September, I’m sorely tempted to do exactly what you did just for that month and leave whatever I get with my Dad to sell on afterwards. It’s going to cost me £1500 to rent something boring, may as well go old and interesting and just sell on afterwards. I still have a U.K. driving licence and can register the car to my Dad’s address.

Hmmm *opens Autotrader website*

:lol:

*opens pistonheads sotw thread*

https://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-features-sheds/shed-of-the-week-saab-9-3-aero/37628

Done, that’s @DJM‘s £750 bargain motor ? I could thrash that round for a month.

2 hours ago, Mike-S said:

https://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-features-sheds/shed-of-the-week-saab-9-3-aero/37628

Just be careful not to torque steer off into a hedge ?

13 hours ago, tazzieman said:

Agree about 7 series BMWs . Lots of car for little money , potentially lots of trouble , but roll that dice!.

I reckon my Q7 has depreciated $40k since I bought it 2 years ago.  Instead I should  buy a V8TT 7 series for $40k.  Should last 2 years and when it shits itself, I'll go and  buy an E55 S/C for the next 2-3 years.  Should be under $20k per annum and all the bits left at the other end  an be shoehorned into a track car.  So V8TT into an E30 or V8SC into 190E?

oh it's been done ??

How about a current model M5 with 43,xxx kms for 60% discount off new price

cp5102288477608251612.jpg?aspect=FitWithinNoPad&width=480

2015 BMW M5 F10 LCI Auto

• 43,000 km
  • Sedan
  • Automatic
  • 8cyl 4.4L T Petrol

Private

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/BMW-M5-2015/SSE-AD-4969676

3 hours ago, Mike-S said:

We’re doing a month in the U.K. in September, I’m sorely tempted to do exactly what you did just for that month and leave whatever I get with my Dad to sell on afterwards. It’s going to cost me £1500 to rent something boring, may as well go old and interesting and just sell on afterwards. I still have a U.K. driving licence and can register the car to my Dad’s address.

Hmmm *opens Autotrader website*

:lol:

I will buy something in July/August , we can spend an extra 100 on fuel and burn it when your done , if its insured ;) 

Jumping off the new car/depreciation bandwagon opens up the wallet for all sorts of risky , titillating dalliances!

You don't "need"  most of the gadgets when it's new , any more than when they have stopped working.

It's a car not an electrical appliance...isn't it?

On 02/03/2018 at 7:46 AM, tazzieman said:

Agree about 7 series BMWs . Lots of car for little money , potentially lots of trouble , but roll that dice! Mind you , 12 cyls costs more rego wise and so on.

A friend of mine' ex husband bought her a 7 series instead of an SUV she needed for her 2 autistic kids. He said it was a bargain, yet it's been off the road and had he's had to spend the buy price and more to fix it! Lemon of a car 

2 minutes ago, LeeM said:

He said it was a bargain, yet it's been off the road 

There is always a reason it is off the road, so caveat emptor with any complex car!
A 1/2 hour test drive is mandatory if it is anything other than a project.

Archived