Shipping a 911 from the US

jimmy_w

57 minutes ago, edgy said:

I and a few others have used USA to AUS a few times with good success, I do have to say lately they have been very, very, very slow... but you do get your car in one piece. 

So far about 5 months for me.. and still don't have the car. They were VERY helplful and answered all queries and emails up to the point of giving them money.. then I heard nearly nothing. But if I get the car in 1 piece and undamaged, then I will be happy. As for their insurance.. they couldn't tell me who the underwriter was.. 

2 hours ago, jimmy_w said:

Hi All

I've just purchased a 1970 911T and it's located on the east coast of USA. Can anyone recommend a shipping agent that is familiar with Australian vehicle import requirements?

If I do it again, (and I hope I do) I would try http://www.personalimport.com.au/

I have a car in LA I’m shipping in a few months.

Im using American Muscle Car Imports who are all set up in LA and have buying agents etc and also do funds transfers and local inspection arrangements if needed and transport etc.

They direct ship to ADL, hence why I’m using them. But owner is a good guy I’ve met who drag races and is an experienced operator and across all the classic car issues like asbestos with customs etc.

Depends where you live on who to choose....

1 hour ago, Andy73 said:

G'day @jimmy_w

Welcome to the forum. Tell us more about the car. 

Thanks @Andy73

It's a project vehicle with a few dings and dents and rust issues in the floor pan, rear passenger seat, left jack receiver and heat exchangers. It has a 2.7L transplant motor, 15" Fuchs wheels, flared steel rear quarter panels and....a duck tail.

Its only one of many companies but I had an excellent experience with Dominic Bonasia from personalimport who took care of everything and didn't charge much (~400 from memory) to oversee and arrange as much of the process as he could.  Took out all the worry, and actually saved thousands by using the right transporter, shipping method, duty calculations...stamp duty dramas, there is a lot than can trip you up.

Asbestos in vehicle is a big deal, you will need to demonstrate that the car is free of it unless you want Australian customs tearing it apart

http://www.personalimport.com.au/

1 hour ago, Mike D'Silva said:

So far about 5 months for me.. and still don't have the car. They were VERY helplful and answered all queries and emails up to the point of giving them money.. then I heard nearly nothing. But if I get the car in 1 piece and undamaged, then I will be happy. As for their insurance.. they couldn't tell me who the underwriter was.. 

If I do it again, (and I hope I do) I would try http://www.personalimport.com.au/

I contacted USA to AUS when looking into shipping and engine from the US, and I must say they were quite difficult to deal with and get info out of. They would not even give me their address so I could get a price to ship it to them, they wanted me to agree to shipping and pay for first - quite odd!! They also told me that they could not ship to Hobart as they did not class it as an international port! Again very odd, I did not go ahead with the engine purchase but if I had I would have looked elsewhere....

Good luck with your search.

10 hours ago, turboT said:

2 cars through them and never again..

Interesting.  Keen to here who does come recommended.

i do notice that these guys don’t have indicative pricing on their site for whole cars, just pricing for engines, wheels, parts etc

3 hours ago, Coastr said:

Interesting.  Keen to here who does come recommended.

i do notice that these guys don’t have indicative pricing on their site for whole cars, just pricing for engines, wheels, parts etc

If you pick out one of their cars listed it gives you a run down of all the fees associated with that car, presume would be similar for others in that price range.....

Although I’ve never imported a car I’ve had dealings with a few companies, Dominic from personal imports has always been happy to help out and I’d probably use him when the time comes

This might help folks considering importing, it was a recent quote for shipping from LA to Sydney 

not sure avout bout the asbestos thing, other companies have told me you just tick that there’s no asbestos and so far they’ve never had a client get stung, still possible I guess, looks like it could be quite an added expense to have it removed pre shipping, could take a chance they don’t hassle you 

Firstly we need to apply for a vehicle import approval that takes Canberra around 21 days to process and we charge $220 to manage 

With current prohibited import laws on asbestos components in imported motor vehicles we can only do pre export testing in our depot at Compton L.A. See attached info and any asbestos parts found will be removed only and add costs apply.

Estimate costs as follows ex our Compton L.A. packing depot via shared container and based on current USD exch rate .7700

Ocean freight / packing to Sydney                          AUD 1940 (USD 1495 )
Pre export asbestos testing                                      AUD   390 (USD 300)
Export customs clearance                                         AUD   160
Marine insurance 1.5% value            AUD    850
Aust container pick up / unpack share                   AUD   990
Customs clearance charges                                      AUD   250
Quarantine inspection fees                                      AUD   160
Attendance quarantine inspection                         AUD   132
Import duty free                                                         
Import gst 10%(Value+frt+ins)            AUD   5920 
Customs electronic entry fee                                   AUD     194
Cartage metro Sydney area                                      AUD     300
Vehicle import application                                       AUD     220
Our handling management fee                                AUD     395

• 1 month later...

Ive imported over 15 cars from the US.

its a pretty simple process. call Greg at Geezers. 0412 754947

They do everything except import application, you can get one from department of infrastructure, which is easy and will cost a couple hundred bucks

5 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

@raafrebel

do you go on work/holiday to look for cars or do you have someone on the ground you deal with?

a bit of both....I have most of my family over there. I go over at least once a year for a holiday. When the dollar was good i was bringing back a few cars very time i went over. 

Ive made plenty of good contacts and friends  over the years, 

If i see smoothing that i like, or can sell to pay for my holiday, i will pick up a car or bike, ride or drive it around, then bring it back.

save on car rental as well

Archived