Buying a Boxster S and IMS help

monty188

I have read all the postings about IMS issues, and after all the negative comments I am still interested in buying a boxster S. probably a around 2003/2004 model.

I have spoken to a couple of independents in Melbourne and have quoted between $2-3K to replace the IMS with TIP's being more expensive.

So I was thinking that any car I buy after PPI etc will go straight to the independent for a service and an IMS replacement.

Is this a reasonable approach ?

Has anyone else done this or am I being overly cautious?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read all the postings about IMS issues, and after all the negative comments I am still interested in buying a boxster S. probably a around 2003/2004 model.

I have spoken to a couple of independents in Melbourne and have quoted between $2-3K to replace the IMS with TIP's being more expensive.

So I was thinking that any car I buy after PPI etc will go straight to the independent for a service and an IMS replacement.

Is this a reasonable approach ?

Has anyone else done this or am I being overly cautious?

Hi Monty, I went down the same track, after reading forums mainly US based it worked out around 10% of 986's had the problem.

As the car gets older and more k's it may be more susceptible to it happening.

It plants the worry, will it be my car or not. Chances are it won't be.......if however you are in the 10% and it does happen, apparently with no warning, you are more than likely up for an expensive engine rebuild. I have heard prices from $6000.00 to $20,000.00. I would think for good rebuild leaning towards the more expensive price.

I have had nearly 5 years with mine and it had 138000 on the clock of no IMS problems.

But knowing I am going to keep the car for a little longer, I had mine replaced. I can give you details in ca PM to you if you want.

Without checking my receipts I think it was around $2000 with a little bit of other work done as well.

I can now go for a drive without that niggling feeling that it may go bang.

The plus is your log book should be completed with the linear bearing update details and also mine has a small sticker in it.

When you sell the car it should then not be a stumbling block if mentioned by the possible buyer.

In summary I thought it was relatively reasonable insurance for what could be an expense I did not want.

Plus the worry you inherit from what you have learnt on the forums is now gone.

Hope that helps you in your decision making.

Hi Monty,

Having an IMS failure is a bit like the exact opposite of winning the lottery. It's quite unlikely to happen to you, but if it does, it will have a major impact on your wallet. I think that's the real problem with the IMS issue; it's not like most other major faults - or even an accident - which could unexpectedly cost you a few thousand. If it goes, you'll unexpectedly have a bill for half the value of the vehicle.

I also was concerned when I bought my car, but my indy mechanic said don't worry about it. I have read that it's more likely to affect cars that have been driven gently and not worked hard enough... sounds like an excellent excuse to drive it like it was meant to be driven.

Another option might be the IMS Guardian (http://www.flat6innovations.com/ims-guardian-home), which is a chip detector and should highlight any issue with enough warning to take action.

On the up side, you're looking at a 986, where you can do something about the IMS issue without taking the engine apart, as on the 987/997 with the bigger, but still flawed IMS bearing.

Good luck.

Monty, the best advice seems to be to have the IMS upgrade installed when the clutch is next replaced. If a 2003/4 car is still on its first clutch, and it may well be, then budgeting for a combined clutch and IMS upgrade would be the smart way to go.

I'm unconvinced of the merits of the IMS Guardian. Once you have sufficient metal contamination to trip the device, you know that a piece of metal tripped the device. Was it the biggest piece of metal or the smallest that triggered the warning? It's like shutting the stable door immediately after the horse has bolted. No matter how quickly you shut the door, the horse is still on the wrong side of it.

Fully agree with James, didn't want to put poo on the IMS Guardian that Sandy mentioned, but from what I have read once it alerts you it's normally too late anyway.

Also Monty, I am not sure re the prices between tip and manual, you thought the tip might be dearer. mine is a tip and I have just checked my price $1927.00 which included some top up oil, coolant and also replace the rear main seal plus a few bolts and cover, So I was happy with that.

If you want any further as to where I had it done etc just P.M. me.

Thank you all for the responses so far .

I have budgeted for the IMS replacement just for my peace of mind.

To date I have test driven, 5 cars , including 2.5 manual and tip , 2.7 manual and tip and a 3.2 manual. the S is the favourite.

So far no owner has opted to replace the IMS or has a record of doing so , something which I would view as reasonable preventative maintenance given the age of some cars.

Also the majority of sellers seem to have purchased the car without a PPI.

Am I speaking to the wrong type of seller ? or do the majority of people just become overcome with emotion when they see the word PORSCHE ?

I think a lot of owners don't even know about the IMS issue. I was talking to a chap recently who is about to trade his (not an S) on a new 981 Boxster. Mentioned the issue and he knew nothing, but obviously a porsche enthusiast. He did not get onto any forums so I think that may explain it. It's only people like yourself who are doing your homework before purchasing that it becomes known.

I must admit I purchased mine (privately) without a PPI and have been ok with it, but again, I didn't do a lot of homework, had never been on a forum and it was a case of I just want a yellow boxster, drove it fell in love, and the rest is history. If I knew what I know now I would definitely have had a PPI done.

Emotion was a hell of a lot to do with my purchase.

Good that your budgeting for the IMS and doing the drives. I think your on the right track and don't hold back from the forum if you think you want some opinions on what you may think is a possible purchase.

We have some extremely wise blokes (woops nearly forgot and girl(s)) who can help guide you in the right direction.

I wish I had have known about this forum before I purchased one.

Hi Monty,

My 996 is now 13 years old and I am getting mine done. My mechanic is well versed with water cooled Porsches and he said he probably wouldn't bother, that the chances of it going are fairly slim but he has done rebuilds after an IMS failure. I have probably come down with a case of internet forum hypochondria. But agree with Niko, once you 'know too much' I don't want to have this playing on my mind which might detract from the enjoyment of a car that after nearly 6 years of ownership i still very much love to drive and enjoy. I have been quoted 2K. With engine out, good opportunity to replace clutch, rear main seal and general once over.

Good luck with the hunt....

Love the tip, when we venture out on our somewhat spirited S.M.T.'s it does a pretty good job.

Once you work out how long the lag is between gear changes which sounds worse than what I am trying to say, you can work it hard and it does a great job.

On the other hand when I am just city cruising with nothing to prove, drop into D for dawdle and it is still a reasonable performer when you put the foot down. It also takes off in second gear from stationary as a default in Auto mode.

You can click it back to first if you feel you need to get away a bit quicker, and you can also overide auto anytime with the steering wheel buttons.

But I am sure the manual owners love their systems too.

I would probably get the tip again if I was doing it all over.

But all just my humble opinion

I'm sure Nick can give you the good stuff on the manual.

Guest Nick987

Sounds like my tap in!

I do alot of city k's and love my manual. Also love it even more on twisty mountain roads.

Having said that, was also loaned a 2012 Cayman PDK when last my car was being serviced and I must say, I was Absopositively BLOWN AWAY by that machine.

BUT

Here is the 30 second summary as I am STILL <_< writing up that weekend (no time yet) of joy...

The PDK and the non S were a match made in heaven, and this combitnation GIVES YOU the feeling of total engagement and a 'oneness' with the road and the vehicle (a bit 'zen' I know but bear with me).

If you have seen the Senna documentary (highly recommend - go watch it right now after you read this) there is an interview where Senna is describing his drive winning I think it was Monaco in the rain, a really early win where he starts from the back of the grid, and he wins and claims he was watching himself driving from above himself and out of body or sime such, and he was the car and the car was he or some such...THAT was my experience during a drive through Acheron Way in the rain, and it was the most amazing drive of my life to that date. (Had a MORE amazing drive in my manual S during the Winton SMT but THAT is another story).

And I have always poo pooed the non-S cars...and autos...shows you the stupidity of my nonS-trannycism...

I really was in the moment and one with the car and it responded in milliseconds to my inputs in a symphony of driving wonderment.

Mind you it WAS running Michelins!

But the car wasn't really as powerful as my Boxster S and I found myself really working the accelerator and making sure the gears were selected right and the revs were high to keep everything working 'just so'.

In my Boxster S, I think I have found myself completely flooring the accelerator (not on a track) maybe 3 or 4 times in the months since I bought the car at the start of the year? It is fast. And I cannot find the road or opportunity to work it like that.

And I have to EARN a similar feeling as with the Cayman and work hard doing so. It is that much more powerful and fast.

Where I didn't have to think about my gearing in the Cayman with PDK, and the gear I wanted was a click away, I have to concentrate on my gearing and my accelerator and brakeing alot more and feel this is what hampers that feeling of oneness.

SO

I really LOVE my car and the manual and have no issue with it in traffic and love the manual experience. I have never gotten bored with it or wished it was different.

BUT,

Had I known what I do now? My decision to buy a Boxster S over a Cayman PDK would have been ALOT more difficult and I am now waiting for the 981 Cayman PDK to see how it compares...

Ultimately you need to ask yourself how the vehicle will be used and what brings you the most enjoyment.

I have not tried a Tiptronic.

Either way YOU CAN"T LOSE!

You are looking to buy, own and drive a Porsche.

And THAT my friend is the final word.

Hi awit ,

I am melbourne based as well.

I have been reading all your postings over the last couple of months, and found them most interesting and extremely relevant as your thought processes have mirrored my own.

I also had the same dilemma re an older 911 as well i.e SC , 3.2 and 964.

I have decide on a boxster , there seem to be quite a few around so dont think we will be in competition but you never know. 8-)

BTW did you look or drive the boxster a HF?

I had a quick look at that 986 Box last week. It appears to be a good one 2003 and asking 39000 also from memory.

I thought a bit overpriced but, worth a look if your looking for the tip. PO female but not sure if it was a one owner.

Hi awit ,

I am melbourne based as well.

I have been reading all your postings over the last couple of months, and found them most interesting and extremely relevant as your thought processes have mirrored my own.

I also had the same dilemma re an older 911 as well i.e SC , 3.2 and 964.

I have decide on a boxster , there seem to be quite a few around so dont think we will be in competition but you never know. 8-)

I'm probably going to go for a Boxster as well :)

The one at HF looks pretty good. It's worth you checking out. HF are very good to deal with too.

I'm a bit dopey, meant to edit my last post. Anyways the below is in response to Monty...

I'm probably going to go for a Boxster as well :) at the end of the day, I've had a really good go at researching, test driving and even having a PPI performed on a car that is lovely. I'm concerned my pockets may be a little too shallow to own one of these older cars.

The one at HF looks pretty good. It's worth you checking out. HF are very good to deal with too. I love the basalt black on tan interior, which this car has.

I say test drive some dealers cars. Make sure that's what you want and then go look at some private ones if you can. I think you'll get a better car privately and will find out more on the cars history etc

From just looking it over It is a nice one .....he is getting rid of and I am sure it would be a good price. I would think as long as he matches or maybe a bit better than what PCB are offering him. only problem is... it is yellow, obviously not a problem for me but others......He has also put the yellow consul tunnel in so that may or may not effect anyone interested. Not for my liking, and I think it was a manual. Also think it only had 80,000 k's or less on it, but I am now stretching my memory. GT3 wheels on it.

Tyres were crap I think.

For close to or a bit more that $20.000 (the trade in price offered) I think a sensational buy.

Anyways..... if anyone interested I can try and find him again, I only met him in a car park where we had a chat.

He is local and I see his car around a bit.

The other thing is I think he said his new 981 arrives in February, but not sure on that, so the delay may be a problem for potential buyers. He may sell earlier of course if he has alternative wheels.

Archived