Buying a Boxster S and IMS help

monty188

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Nick987

Here is the old black badge and the new satin silver badge on the boot lid. What do you think?

badge_zpsfa4e5827.jpg

Yeah...aaah...you really want to stick with just the one...both are a bit much methinks...I'd go the satin ;)

Hi All

well, I can only state that getting a PPI is absolutely worth the money.!!!

I got Jocaro to do the inspection.

He took time to take me through every thing he found which was a very good experience.

I now have lots of info about the car which I did not know before.

They identified a number of items (that need corrected now) and they all add up to a not insignificant $$$.

The opinion seems to be the the basically its an honest undamaged car and is probably worth spending the $$$.

However.... IF i fixed everything then it would be then worth the CURRENT asking price.

So the search continues... ( but I might revisit it in a couple of weeks.)

Guest Nick987

Monty I feel Amanda stated it most succinctly in asking whether she spends more up front on a better car with fewer issues and cops a bigger depreciation or spends less up front on a cheaper car that has more issues that need rectifying.

If you aren't planning on driving it a lot, buying one with some wear and tear type issues (not major or structural) and seeing how it goes can work out favorably.

I was told during my PPI that I needed to replace my engine mount, pads, rotors and clutch, address a small water pump leak and exhaust rattle but brakes, clutch or mount never went in the 10 months I had the car and the leak and exhaust didn't get any worse and I certainly wasn't nursing the car and was driving it daily. Actually I was driving the shit out of it in the hopes of speeding up the issues so I could address them. Nothing ever went. Car got pinched. Problem to the new owner. :D

Depending on the issue they are pretty tough.

I feel service history is the most important factor then ppi. And you should expect to do some work on it.

No one is going to sell an immaculate car at a price a lesser car is sold for.

If there is one thing I keep coming across here it is that there is no such thing as a cheap Porsche in Australia.

At the end of the day, if one likes the car.. has a reasonable seller and the issues are just wear n tear as above, I can't see why one can't have a good chat to the seller and see what they are willing to do to sell the car.

For eg my GTI.. I had the PCV Valve replaced AND spent a day of my time having the gutter rash on the rims repaired because that is what the new owner wanted. Whilst I wasn't happy doing these things (because of the impact on my time, not $) in the end I had a super happy buyer and I was really pleased with how the deal all went. I also sold that car in better condition than when I bought it. I felt proud of myself watching it drive away and seeing it's new owners happy with it. The day they collected the car was the first day they even saw it.

So no harm in talking to the seller and see what agreement you can come to.

I'm in the process of doing the same with the 911 Cab 964 I looked at :D Once the initial PPI shock wore off, I gained more knowledge and had a great chat to a P mechanic.. I feel so much better about what I'm trying to do. Which is buy the car! It's not a done deal yet.. but I'm soooo happy with what i'm doing, I know I've made the right decision. I was having trouble pullling the trigger on a Boxster and realise the issue was that I wanted a 911!

Sometimes one just needs to sit and think it all over.. let it sink in.

Amanda! You're ruining me! I had a bet with Doish today that you'd end up buying a Boxster!!! :wacko: Good luck and congratulations!

With regards Monty, remember, you're buying a 2nd hand car. Things wear out and need replacing. Alternators, batteries, brakes, clutches etc. If you spend more for a newer car...these things will still eventually wear out...it just takes longer...whereas a slightly older car will be cheaper but also closer in time to having those things wear out. That's motoring! It's a juggling act, unless you're a lucky bugger like Nick and your car gets "replaced" courtesy of the insurance company!

It's not a done deal yet Caver... I need to make up some of the purchase price with finance.. and regardless of my financial situation, most fin companies don't like financing such an old car. They just don't understand their value! And as it's not a commercial finance deal, that complicates matters further. But I'm going to give it a go. I've got a very experienced guy in vintage vehicle finance trying to make it work for me. If this fails.. then the big man has spoken and you will win your bet with Doish! The next step will be a boxster.. cos you can't get much of a 911 with 2007 GTI money!

If I bought the Boxster I just know I'd have been wanting the 911 all the time. This way, I can try and get what I want up front. If it turns out i can't do it, then I'll walk away happy knowing I tried.

To be frank I always thought Boxters were 'ok' however after the last couple of times I've seen Cavers I've gone from ok to I really like. Even found myself sitting in it a couple of times during breaks. Love the interior and finish. If I had the $ for a second P it would prob be a Boxter......or a Panagali.

Amanda,

Just do a 5 Year Home Loan against your house for the car. The Bank will agree to that and it will save you loads in interest.

Providing you have enough equity, or a house etc........

I am in the business of selling money(I am not a broker , So no Cowboy Hats here) so if you need any guidance let me know.....

HI FUCHer

I like your comment about things eventually wearing out and need replacing , I understand that totally.

I expected (and budgeted) for the PPI to uncover some things that need to be done now and some things that can be done over a period of time.

However via the PPI, It came out that lots (all) of the items needs to be done right now.

This makes the car worth a lot less to me as buyer and not great value.

I also agree with Nick987 there is no such things as a cheap Porsche in Australia , that does not mean I cant find one that is good value and had the some of the right things done along the way.

I also expect I might have to do a couple more PPI's before I find the right car for me. Its all part of the process. :)

monty did you talk to the owner about reducing the price of the car based on what needs doing? Are any of these items that need doing now, RWC items? You can be cheeky and say well I need to spend xxx so would you take xxx off the price of the car??? And see what he says.

Just an update

The owner was taken through the PPI in detail by Jocaro.

In my opinion he was genuinely shocked by the results and what was found.

He even apologised to me - which was a surprise.

However he was not prepared to reduce the price sufficiently to reflect what was required to be spent on the car.

I think he is hoping that someone will come along who is little less diligent.

Caveat Emptor!

I have to agree with Caver. We are not in a strong economic climate and there are plenty of cars on the market.

If he has made other commitments he may need to eventually move it. However Monty, you alone can only decide if you are prepared to take it at a reduced price with the issues outlined.

Don't lose any sleep. Plenty of options will come up.

I am interested in a vehicle that has PCM history and more recently with weltmeister in Melbourne.

I assume nine plus and weltmeister are equally recommended for a PPI.?

Has anyone had a poor experience with either one?

Nick gave me good advice, which is always get an independent PPI done. So you want the car inspected by a shop that hasn't worked on the car before. 9plus would be the one in this regard.

I had Auto Coupe do mine but they are in Eltham so your seller might not like that :)

Archived